Thread: Free Angency possibly pushed back to 4/1

All League

Free Angency possibly pushed back to 4/1

There are reports out there that the NFL may push the Free Agency period back to 4/1/2006 if they make decent progress on the CBA in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know how this would affect Franchised players? In the event we move Abraham for draft picks I think we would want some time to negotiate with other teams and not wait until 4/1/2006

All Pro
    Have any links about the speculating that the NFL will move the free agency period back?

Hall Of Fame
    not sure where you heard it and i'm not discrediting you but there is no way on earth that could ever ever happen

it would leave only three weeks from FA till draft time, no way is that enough time for teams to make moves and prepare their team to enetr the draft

All League

Link

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...p-331763c.html

This is from the Daily News today. I am running out now but I will make some calls and try and get more information. If anyone has any info let me know.

Charter JI Member
    I'm no expert but aren't there contracts built around established dates?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    I'm no expert but aren't there contracts built around established dates?
    That's what I was thinking, too. This is pure speculation on my part, but I would think the NFLPA would be flexible on deal like this, seeing as though they want a deal in place just as badly as the owners.

If they do this, teams should be allowed to negotiate with players starting March 1 but shouldn't be allowed to sign them until April 1. This would give teams enough time to prepare for the draft and have their FA targets lined up. JMO.