Thread: OT: New Computer Help

Rookie

OT: New Computer Help

Hi, I am trying to spec out a new Desktop for my house. I have long ago lost track of whats the best processor etc. I have a Dell laptop thats been great but now it's time to upgrade ( 5 yrs old ) and go back to a desktop.

Looking at Dell XPS400 with a "PentiumD 820 Dual Core (2.8 GHz)
    how does that compare to an "AMD Anthlon 64 2x Dual Core 3800+ found in a HP Pavillion Machine.

Both also have the Windows XP Media Center software. I will be getting a 19" Flat Panel but not sure I need this TV in my puter stuff. Anybody have it now?
    All the other stuff like memory and drives are equal. I will splurge on a better video card as online gaming is a must.

THoughts, suggestions? Help me Geeks who wear green!

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Quote Originally Posted by TomsRiverJet
    Hi, I am trying to spec out a new Desktop for my house. I have long ago lost track of whats the best processor etc. I have a Dell laptop thats been great but now it's time to upgrade ( 5 yrs old ) and go back to a desktop.

Looking at Dell XPS400 with a "PentiumD 820 Dual Core (2.8 GHz)
    how does that compare to an "AMD Anthlon 64 2x Dual Core 3800+ found in a HP Pavillion Machine.

Both also have the Windows XP Media Center software. I will be getting a 19" Flat Panel but not sure I need this TV in my puter stuff. Anybody have it now?
    All the other stuff like memory and drives are equal. I will splurge on a better video card as online gaming is a must.

THoughts, suggestions? Help me Geeks who wear green!
    I ordered a Gateway PC with a 19" flat panel LCD monitor along with the Windows XP media center last august and love it. Got it on HSN.com.... Watching Jillian Barberi on tv in the upper corner of my monitor now as I type this post.

Never cared for Dell PCs but love this Gateway....

Banned
    AMD makes a better chip than Intel.

That being said, most people won't know the difference.

Hall Of Fame

Stay aware from the dual core PC

Stay aware from the dual core PC. There won't be any software on the market for years that will be able to take advantage of it. Get a decent speed Intel (or AMD) 2.8 GHz or above with 1 GB DDR Ram and you'll be pleased. If you are a gamer then add a good graphics card to the mix. good luck.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Stay aware from the dual core PC. There won't be any software on the market for years that will be able to take advantage of it. Get a decent speed Intel (or AMD) 2.8 GHz or above with 1 GB DDR Ram and you'll be pleased. If you are a gamer then add a good graphics card to the mix. good luck.
    We just got the new AMD dual core x2 in at work, and it runs awful. it can't even run a screensaver of a slide show of pictures. It's really choppy. Kinda sad IMO. Just get the Dual Core Dual Processor G5. Basically 4 processors in one computer, and the OS actually takes advantage of that.

Practice Squad
    being a it consultant i would have to say go with amd, performance wise it blows intels chip away, i would not recommend going with a dell or a gateway, they use crap motherboards and cheap memory, go with a mid size computer company, here is a link, these guys are good.

www.redbarncomputers.com

Waterboy
    Everything else being equal, go for the Dell. They produce better quality machines, and have less problems than the lower-end AMD stuff.

Just $.02

Undrafted Free Agent
    I probably could have done more research, but I saw a deal I thought was pretty good at bestbuy in about August. For 1100 I got a 3.0 Dual Core Pentium, 2GB DDR2, 320GB HD, as well as media center. The graphics card was marginal, but I ended up adding a Radeon X800 myself anyway.

No complaints at all with this Gateway. Runs well, seems to be very few errors.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantana Soss
    I probably could have done more research, but I saw a deal I thought was pretty good at bestbuy in about August. For 1100 I got a 3.0 Dual Core Pentium, 2GB DDR2, 320GB HD, as well as media center. The graphics card was marginal, but I ended up adding a Radeon X800 myself anyway.

No complaints at all with this Gateway. Runs well, seems to be very few errors.
    i hate windows media center edition. so f'in buggy

Undrafted Free Agent
    Media Center itself is a little buggy, the rest has been little problem.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantana Soss
    Keep your eye one edealinfo.com, they have a section dedicated to Dell systems.

My newest snag was a dualcore 2.8, 1GB ram, 160GB, dvd/rw & separate cdrw, radeon x300, and a 2405fpw (24" lcd widescreen), for like $1050.

Hall Of Fame

Depends on what you are using for

Like I said before there is no software on the market that takes advantage of the dual core processor.

Computers in general do most things adequately fast, like word processing, internet browsing, playing music, small calculations in spredsheets (eg. Excel).
    You can buy any low end PC and it will be quite adequate. On Ebay or at a Computer show you can get an LCD moonitor, keyboard & mouse for around $650.

If you are doing anything to do with video processing like rendering movies, DVD copying etc where the application is processor intensive then you'll need at least 1 GB DDR ram and a 3.0 GHz processor with a good motherboard for 800 MHz Bus speed. I render video and I was interested in purchasing some video applications that take advantage of the dual core. No is available and won't be for awhile.
    To render a video it sometimes takes 4 to 12 hours. To copy a DVD using DVD shrink and Nero takes 30 minutes to an hour. With a dual processor it should be cut by 30% or more but none is available.

I would buy the $650 machine ( less in you have a LCD) for most general purposes, this way you can afford to see some Jet games also.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

why would it take so long for software that's optimized for the dual core? i'm a mac user, and i heard whispers of stuff like that w/ the altivec (g4) processor and then the dual g5's, but within 3 months every major and semi-major app was better on that system than previous. they just rolled out the first intel macs last month, a bigger change than to a dual core, and already most if not all apps work, and many (including apple's, naturally) are optimized to run best on the new chip already. so it seems strange that on the pc side developers would actually be slower to follow up on new hardware, i always assumed that aspect was better there b/c of the larger market...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by isired
    why would it take so long for software that's optimized for the dual core? i'm a mac user, and i heard whispers of stuff like that w/ the altivec (g4) processor and then the dual g5's, but within 3 months every major and semi-major app was better on that system than previous. they just rolled out the first intel macs last month, a bigger change than to a dual core, and already most if not all apps work, and many (including apple's, naturally) are optimized to run best on the new chip already. so it seems strange that on the pc side developers would actually be slower to follow up on new hardware, i always assumed that aspect was better there b/c of the larger market...
    you gotta keep in mind, most of everything done for pc's ends up being slightly illogical.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    To render a video it sometimes takes 4 to 12 hours. To copy a DVD using DVD shrink and Nero takes 30 minutes to an hour. With a dual processor it should be cut by 30% or more but none is available.
    that sucks, once we got the dual g5's, 5 minute 30fps video renders went from hours to minutes or even seconds for simpler renders - you can watch the bar zip across, looks more like 'unzipping' a file than rendering video.

Hall Of Fame

The developers are slow to invest

Quote Originally Posted by isired
    Microsoft is comming out with a new version of Windows next year. Developers don't want to invest too much in new apps for an old OS.

In any case this stuff is in all the latest PC mags, I'm only the reporter here.

Rookie
    Thanks for the input guys. Have to admit that most of this stuff is over my head but I'm now leaning towards the HP. I have no need for all the video stuff or downloading music. Not my thing. Going to check out some tonight at Best Buy and see where they are once I upgrade a few things.

Thanks for the advice.