Thread: Abraham wants out of NY

All Pro

Abraham wants out of NY

Abraham may Jet out of N.Y.

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jets defensive end John Abraham, confused by the direction of the organization and upset that it seemingly doesn't consider him part of the long-term plan, has told friends that he wants to play elsewhere.
    "He wants to get the hell out of New York," a person close to Abraham said yesterday. "He's pretty upset."

Abraham, eligible to become a free agent on March 3, might get his wish. The Jets still haven't had substantive contract talks with Abraham, and there appears to be no chance of signing him to a long-term deal by the start of free agency, according to several industry sources.

The Jets have until Feb. 23 to decide whether to use the franchise tag on Abraham for the second straight year. The prevailing theory is that they will use the tag for the purpose of trading him, but there are serious salary-cap implications that might force the Jets to simply let him hit the open market. No matter how it plays out, Abraham probably has played his last game with the Jets.

Abraham's future is one of many hot issues facing the Jets' new regime. They already have approached Chad Pennington about taking an $8 million pay cut.

As expected, the club also has opened talks with Curtis Martin about reworking his contract (read: significant pay reduction), according to a person familiar with the situation.

Martin, 32, coming off his worst season and knee surgery, will count $8.1 million on the salary cap, which includes $6.2 million in base salary. The Jets would clear $2.4million in cap room by cutting the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher.

Despite a Hall of Fame-caliber resume, Martin isn't untouchable, although it's believed the Jets would like to have him back in a reduced role.

Several veterans will be asked to accept pay cuts, as the Jets are about $26 million over the projected cap ($92million). Several players are expected to be released, including Ty Law, Jay Fiedler, Jason Fabini, Pete Kendall and, possibly, Kevin Mawae.

The Jets are rebuilding, and they appear poised to do it without their most prolific pass rusher.

Abraham, disgruntled last season while playing on a one-year, $6.7 million contract (the designated amount for a franchise defensive end), is believed to be seeking at least $18 million in guarantees. In December, he said he wanted a long-term deal, whether it was with the Jets or another team.

The previous regime didn't believe Abraham was worth that kind of money, and apparently neither does the new brain trust - and Abraham is bitter.

"He feels like they don't respect him," the person close to him said.

Conventional wisdom says the Jets can use the franchise tag for the purpose of trading him, but that would eat up another $8 million in cap space. That would necessitate clearing $34 million by March 3, and industry sources believe the Jets will be hard-pressed to do that by March 3.

If the Jets can't afford to tag him, Abraham would be a free man. Abraham is said to be dreading the prospect of getting the franchise designation.

The tag him/trade him scenario also could backfire if Abraham actually signs the $8 million franchise tender when it's presented. (In 2005, he waited until August.) Because of complicated cap implications, that would hurt the chances of a trade, a piece of leverage Abraham's agents probably will use.

But there is a wild card. The circumstances could change if a new collective bargaining agreement is put into place before the start of free agency. A new CBA would increase the salary cap and could change the rules for franchise players

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Reading the header on this thread, I thought it was from last year!

Veteran
    By RICH CIMINI

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

I just love it when writers quote anonymous sources.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    I just love it when writers quote anonymous sources.

well the voices in ones head usually don't have real names or the posts on this messageboard he's not going to quote beerguzzlerjetfan9231 as his source.. he'll just refer to a source who's intimate with the jets organization

Hall Of Fame
    I don't care if they don't get "equal" value for him but they better tag and trade him and get at least something in return, letting him go for nothing would be an incredibly stupid move.

All League
    Cimini always seems 1 day late with his news. In the NY Post this morning it says the Jets have now opened talks with Abraham. I think the new Regime may want to keep him.

All League
    We must do everything to ensure we get something for Abe. If we are unable to tag him, and he walks then the Jets just let most likely the most sought out Defensive Player to hit the market this year for nothing. If it means cutting Chad and Martin and taking the one time hit, and releasing everyone in the house to get a solid #1 and possibly a #2 or #3 I would think you have to do it. Martin will probably resign to something cap friendly. Not sure about Pennington, but Abe has to be tagged. We have to get some value for him, if not this new regime is far worse than any other in the past.

Hall Of Fame
    "...Several players are expected to be released, including Ty Law, Jay Fiedler, Jason Fabini, Pete Kendall and, possibly, Kevin Mawae."

Kendall AND possibly Mawae.... wow

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I don't care if they don't get "equal" value for him but they better tag and trade him and get at least something in return, letting him go for nothing would be an incredibly stupid move.
    \

Agreed. But, what exactly is the "cap implication". This article talks like fiscally we may not be able. If anyone knows please explain.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty one
    \

Agreed. But, what exactly is the "cap implication". This article talks like fiscally we may not be able. If anyone knows please explain.
    As soon as we tag Abe even if we don't sign him his 8.3 million automatically hits the 2006 cap. By March 1st we must be under the cap. Reportedly we are 26 million over the cap, so add on Abe's 8.3 well you get the idea.

We would need to get under the cap by 8.3 THEN tag Abe, THEN trade him and then we would have 8.3 millon in cap room.

The question is how are we going to cut 34 million off the cap?

Practice Squad

What is the cost of the transition tag?

At least we would get something.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Varjet
    At least we would get something.
    No we wouldn't
    A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."

Banned
    Cimini uses more "friend of friend", "someone close", "My sisters, boyfriends, brothers, bestfriends, cousin" then any of these stir something up beat wrighters out there. Im not saying this is b.s. but I dont trust cimini at all.

All League
    I won't miss him. I think a certain amount of house cleaning is needed to formally end the Herm Edwards/Terry Bradway era, and if Abraham is already copping an attitude about "respect," show him the door.

This team needs players who think team first. Anybody who is insulted by the notion of being paid as a top five player needs to play somewhere else. Abraham is not a top 5 DE.

Please do what's best for the team in the long term, Mr. Tannenbaum and Mr. Mangini.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet in Florida
    Cimini uses more "friend of friend", "someone close", "My sisters, boyfriends, brothers, bestfriends, cousin" then any of these stir something up beat wrighters out there. Im not saying this is b.s. but I dont trust cimini at all.
    I don't care for Cimini either, but I'll take his word over Cannizzaro's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    I don't care for Cimini either, but I'll take his word over Cannizzaro's.

Yeah. I guess. I am really not fond of either. This could be true. It wouldnt be the first time he said something like this (jabe that is). No matter if he likes it or not, we are going to tag his a$$ and send him packing.