Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have another question, how would this O-Line look 4 us at the start of next season?

Rookie
    Born and raised in S.Ozone Park,Queens,Ny... I now live in Tampa,Florida

I have another question, how would this O-Line look 4 us at the start of next season?

I just wanna say this... Unless R.Bush or V.Young is on the board at #4...

We have to draft B.Ferguson with the first pick... He already plays with the ability to be a impact player right away for the Jets team.

With the 4th pick in the second round, I say we draft Max Jean Gilles... He will still be on the board, for the simple fact this draft is actually loaded with skill position players...

Left tackle- Brickshaw Ferguson
    Left guard- Max Jean Gilles
    Center- Kevin Mawae (We can use P.Kendall as the backup Center to Kevin)
    Right guard- Brandon Moore
    Right Tackle- Adrian Jones (Moved from Left tackle to Right Tackle)

We just went from one of the oldest, slowest O-Lines in the NFL... To a young, athletic group of O-Lineman with alot of potential to make it happen.

O-Line at the end of last season.

Left tackle- Adrian Jones (Played real solid, this kid will be just fine)
    Left guard- Jonathan Goodwin (Never thought he was anything special)
    Center- Pete Kendall (Will never play the C position like Kevin Mawae does)
    Right guard- Brandon Moore (Was getting better in every game)
    Right tackle- Scott Gragg (No comment)

How does this O-Line sound for the start of next season?

Center- Kevin Mawae
    Right Tackle- Adrian Jones

Also, P.Kendall, J.Goodwin, and Gragg can contribute as backups.

What do you all think?

All League
    Its possible, however I think if G. Watson is on the board in round two we would go for him to help plug our hole intsead of Max. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if they used their next two picks in the third round on lineman, and use their second one on defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If Brick and J-G were our first 2 picks I'd do backflips, however I still don't think J-G is dropping to the second. Someone is going to jump on him in the first, guards have been going in the early rounds more by the year and blue chippers like J-G have been taken in the mid-late first in recent drafts (Faneca, Hutchinson, Woody).

Plus, there's teams in the second half of the first who need some help on the interior part of the line (Indy, NYG...etc.).

Veteran
    I can't imagine a better scenario for the Jets draft. Though there would be some growing pains with two rookies on the left side of the line, I believe it would set us up for a very good o-line in the future. Next step would be to find a replacement for Mawae in 2007. Also, I like Jones and Moore on the right side. I still believe Jones can be a very good right tackle if he is encouraged to add some more weight.

In '07, the Jets can address the running back position. Martin, Blaylock, and Houston would look pretty good behind that line.

All League
    Jones is too small to play strong side OT. If the Jets draft Brick, Jones would have to go to the bench to back up. Also, I think #4 is too high a pick for a non-skill player. JMO.

I would rather see the Jets trade down and stock up on BIG linemen on both sides of the ball. I like Gilles, Ryan McNeil -- no shortage of big linemen in this draft. We need to bulk up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Also, if our line looked like that we'd have to redo Kendall's salary. It'd be foolish to keep a backup on the roster for 4.5 million.

Veteran
    Jones was our starter at RT at the beginning of the year. Kendall would be a cut if the Jets went this route. Goodwin would be the primary backup to both guard positions. He may not be starter quality, but is a pretty good backup.

Rookie
    I'd rather do something completely different that nobody here has posted:

LT Jones
    LG Fabini
    C Mangold
    RG Mawae
    RT McNeil

Trade Abe for mid-first round pick
    Trade #4 to Oakland for their #7 pick and second rounder
    #7 pick is Deangelo Williams
    Mid 1st rounder: Marcus McNeil
    2nd round: Nick Mangold

Restructure Fabini and Mawae. Fabini is still one tough SOB who can road grate as a guard, and help Jones on the left side. With Fabini there, we can release or trade Kendall. Mawae would be the best right guard in the league, and McNeil is a huge man with a lot of power. Mangold moves in right away and starts. Moore is a backup at both guard spots.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar

LT Jones
    LG Fabini
    C Mangold
    RG Mawae
    RT McNeil

Restructure Fabini and Mawae. Fabini is still one tough SOB who can road grate as a guard, and help Jones on the left side. With Fabini there, we can release or trade Kendall. Mawae would be the best right guard in the league, and McNeil is a huge man with a lot of power. Mangold moves in right away and starts. Moore is a backup at both guard spots.
    I like the way you think, with the exception of Fabini, who I consider nothing more than a backup at the right price.

I like the trade-down scenario, but would prefer to sign Abe long-term to a cap-friendly deal. I think we can upgrade both lines without trading Abe. The only way I trade Abe is for a veteran QB to compete with Chad (Rivers, Schaub).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Defense WinsChampionships
    I just wanna say this... Unless R.Bush or V.Young is on the board at #4...

We have to draft B.Ferguson with the first pick... He already plays with the ability to be a impact player right away for the Jets team.

With the 4th pick in the second round, I say we draft Max Jean Gilles... He will still be on the board, for the simple fact this draft is actually loaded with skill position players...

Center- Kevin Mawae (We can use P.Kendall as the backup Center to Kevin)
    Right Tackle- Adrian Jones (Moved from Left tackle to Right Tackle)

We just went from one of the oldest, slowest O-Lines in the NFL... To a young, athletic group of O-Lineman with alot of potential to make it happen.

O-Line at the end of last season.

Left tackle- Adrian Jones (Played real solid, this kid will be just fine)
    Left guard- Jonathan Goodwin (Never thought he was anything special)
    Center- Pete Kendall (Will never play the C position like Kevin Mawae does)
    Right guard- Brandon Moore (Was getting better in every game)
    Right tackle- Scott Gragg (No comment)

How does this O-Line sound for the start of next season?

Center- Kevin Mawae
    Right Tackle- Adrian Jones

Also, P.Kendall, J.Goodwin, and Gragg can contribute as backups.

What do you all think?
    Kendal is still a good Guard

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    Kendal is still a good Guard
    At this stage of his career, probably a better center than guard, even by his own admission. His age started to show when he was being pushed around by much bigger DT's.

I don't think you keep both Kendall and Mawae...has to be one or the other.

Rookie
    "www.HomeEmails.com - Automate your home search with photos, addresses, and info delivered right to your email inbox absolutely FREE without speaking to a Realtor! (Serving Queens and Long Island - Multiple Listing Service)

www.FreeMarketAppraisal.net Thinking of Selling Your House? Find out it's value at before you decide! "

And now for something completely different.......

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by joemusgo
    At this stage of his career, probably a better center than guard, even by his own admission. His age started to show when he was being pushed around by much bigger DT's.

I don't think you keep both Kendall and Mawae...has to be one or the other.
    I think you can get one more good year out of Kendal

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar

LT Jones
    LG Fabini
    C Mangold
    RG Mawae
    RT McNeil

I liked this post other than the adverstising minus Fabini, I would keep Kendall as a starter.

All League
    Jones is too small to play strong side OT. If the Jets draft Brick, Jones would have to go to the bench to back up. Also, I think #4 is too high a pick for a non-skill player. JMO.

I would rather see the Jets trade down and stock up on BIG linemen on both sides of the ball. I like Gilles, Ryan McNeil -- no shortage of big linemen in this draft. We need to bulk up.
    although left tackle is not the most flashy "skill" position...it's arguably the 2nd most important position after QB on a team. not having a LT is the main reason last season fell apart. Every QB that came in lats season cept for Kingsbury was hurt at somepoint because or LT could not protect the QBs blindside.

In conclusion it's not necessarily a skill position it's a PREMIUM position and a franchise LT warrants a top 5 pick and even the #1 overall in some cases (last year Brick woulda been the first player off the board)

Rookie
    Born and raised in S.Ozone Park,Queens,Ny... I now live in Tampa,Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJet
    although left tackle is not the most flashy "skill" position...it's arguably the 2nd most important position after QB on a team. not having a LT is the main reason last season fell apart. Every QB that came in lats season cept for Kingsbury was hurt at somepoint because or LT could not protect the QBs blindside.

In conclusion it's not necessarily a skill position it's a PREMIUM position and a franchise LT warrants a top 5 pick and even the #1 overall in some cases (last year Brick woulda been the first player off the board)
    Could not have said it better myself.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJet

Once Jones was moved to LT last season, I think he did a pretty good job. Brick may be an upgrade over Jones, but with Jones there LT is certainly not a glaring need, IMO.

I would rather trade down to accumulate picks or use the #4 on a skill player. Quality linemen can certainly be found lower than #4.

Veteran
    I really don't see what was wrong with our O-Line from 2 seasons ago...last season we had injuries, people playing out of posistion, and bad QBs...overall I think we have a pretty good line despite that fact. I'm for D-Brick to replace Fabini...maybe move him to the other side in replace of Moore..but I think we're fine besides that

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JCappy
    I really don't see what was wrong with our O-Line from 2 seasons ago...last season we had injuries, people playing out of posistion, and bad QBs...overall I think we have a pretty good line despite that fact. I'm for D-Brick to replace Fabini...maybe move him to the other side in replace of Moore..but I think we're fine besides that
    Fabini's days as a starter are over. Last season he was being pushed around like a blocking sled.

Veteran
    Fabini's days as a starter are over. Last season he was being pushed around like a blocking sled.
    Exactly why I wouldn't mind replacing him...but I just don't see anything good coming from Moore...maybe it's just me