Thread: Tell me how Condon let's Penny walk away from a guaranteed million

JetsInsider.com Legend

Tell me how Condon let's Penny walk away from a guaranteed million

Can someone help me understand how Tom Condon will be able to look Chad Pennington in the eyes and say, "Don't take this $1M plus incentives, I can get you more on the open market." Honestly, I just don't see a team...outside of maybe KC (oh boy!) who would pay Chad $1M to possibly wear a headset all of 2006. What's the market that Condon sees?

All Pro
    Maybe he's considering the longer term - if Chad sits out 2006, gets fully healthy, he might be worth more in 2007. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Maybe he's considering the longer term - if Chad sits out 2006, gets fully healthy, he might be worth more in 2007. Just a thought.
    Plus he gets what like 9 mil rather than 1 mil doesn't he?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Can someone help me understand how Tom Condon will be able to look Chad Pennington in the eyes and say, "Don't take this $1M plus incentives, I can get you more on the open market." Honestly, I just don't see a team...outside of maybe KC (oh boy!) who would pay Chad $1M to possibly wear a headset all of 2006. What's the market that Condon sees?
    I couldn't agree more with everything above. If Penny follows this bad advice and ends up out on the free market, he will eventually end up firing Tom Condon.

NO TEAM is going to pay Penny anywhere even close to what he has already made w/ the Jets. Penny's best option is to negotoiate a compromise with the Jets and stay with the team. He will have to prove his worth again, but what is the big deal about that? All QB's always have to prove there worth year in and year out..........

Its all game of chicken on both sides. Jets could say publicly they be willing to take that Cap hit, by cutting Pennington, but reality is that a pretty big hit for any team to absorb. (lets see them do it)
    Penningtonj recieved what 18 million(say walk away with 9 million after taxes) so the extra million not as big deal as it would be for me and you.
    Pennington feels he put his career at risk by trying to get back early fro0m injury, and now jets are trying to force him to take a unheard of paycut. (slap in his face)
    Pennington pride says so ahead and take ther cap hit and if I have to , i can take 2006 season off and comeback ready in 2007. Trent green has one or two years left in KC and Chad could be option there in 2007. (Herm and him have good relationship)
    Both sides have something to lose and lets see which side cave.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Trent Green has said this is most likely his last year-he's turning 37. So that means Chad rehabs a full yr--sits on KC's bench, then takes over at starter w/ Herm and Larry Johnson behind him.

And there are teams out there that would take a chance on Penny for more than a million. What's a million? Nothing--someone would take a chance.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What Tom Condon is doing right now is contacting NFL teams to see what interest there is in Chad Pennington. I know that it's not supposed to be done legally but Condon's job is to find out what the market will be for his client.

Chad Pennington could be a free agent for awhile. Teams will give him physicals and will want to see him throw before they sign him. If Chad is healthy, He could get 2 to 3 million base with incentives on the market.

Let's take a quick look at what teams would and what teams wouldn't have interest in Pennington as a starter/backup. As a backup, teams will consider him. As a starter, There are very few spots up for grabs for Pennington to compete for.

NFC EAST

Dallas- Maybe, As competition for Bledsoe. Parcells was apart of The Jets front office when Penny was drafted. I don't see Chad as a Parcells type QB but it might be worth the risk to bring him in as a QB IF HE"S HEALTHY.

Washington- NO, They have Brunell and Campbell as their top two QB's.

Eagles- Only as McNabb's backup. Pennington can function well in a west coast offense but Philly is not the type of team that takes these types of risks.

The Giants- Does Pennington want to be Eli's caddy? I don't see The Giants having interest.

NFC NORTH
    Minnesota- They have Culpepper and Brad Johnson as their two QB's. Childress runs a west coast offense so Pennington fits that but I don't see this as a possibility.

Green Bay- Mike McCarthy is a Paul Hackett disciple. So maybe that gives Pennington a shot to come in and compete with Aaron Rodgers if Favre retires or is gone.

Detroit- I don't see Pennington as a Mike Martz type QB. If Detroit had interest. He could compete with Harrington.

Chicago- Chicago's top two QB's are Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton. Bears love Grossman and he's their guy. Orton proved last year that he can be a capable backup. There's no spot here for Chad.

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta- They have Vick and Schaub. If Schaub gets dealt. Pennington could back up Vick but he'd never be in line to take Vick's spot. Could have a chance to play because of Vick's injury history. But that's all Atlanta needs is two fragile QB's. Greg Knapp does run the west coast offense so that would fit Pennington.

Tampa Bay- Paul Hackett is here but Tampa has Simms and Griese. Maybe Chad backs up Simms and Griese gets released.

Carolina- It's Jake Delhomme's job and he ain't losing it. His two backups are Chris Weinke and Stefan Lefors. Even though, offensive coordinator Dan Henning was here for one year with Pennington. I don't see this as a fit.

New Orleans- They seem poised to cut Aaron Brooks and draft a QB high this april. Chad can sign here and compete with that rookie. Sean Payton is going to hand over the reigns to the guy he drafts.

NFC WEST
    Arizona- They just gave Warner a 3 year deal. Chad doesn't fit Arizona's offense. They could use a capable backup for Kurt though.

Seattle- Matt Hasselbeck is their guy. Senecca Wallace is their backup. Holmgren runs the west coast offense so that would be a fit for Chad but I don't see a spot for him here as a backup.

St. Louis- Scott Linehan is the new head coach here and it's Marc Bulger's job. Maybe there's a backup spot here.

San Fransisco- Norv Turner is the new OC here and Alex Smith struggled mightily last year. There could be a spot here as a backup. If Smith falters, Chad could take over but San Fran has so much invested in Alex Smith.

AFC EAST
    Buffalo- Has Losman and Holcomb competing for The QB spot. No room here for Pennington.

New England- It's Brady, Flutie and Cassell. No spot here for Pennington.

Miami- I don't see Chad as a Saban type QB. But there could be an opening here for competition next year depending what The Fish do with Gus Frerrote. They are in the market for a QB.

AFC NORTH
    Bengals- Could use an insurance policy for Palmer but Pennington is the worst insurance policy in the history of football. You can't backup an injured franchise QB with a QB who is damaged goods.

Baltimore- They are in the market for a QB. They are going to get comp for Kyle Boller. Maybe Chad gets a shot here to come in and compete. I think The Ravens are looking for a QB with different skills than Pennington has. He'd be an option if they strike out on their 10 other choices for the spot.

Steelers- It's Big Ben's team. Maddox will probably be let go. Batch is the backup. I don't see Pitt investing money in Chad.

Cleveland- Charlie Frye is their guy along with Trent Dilfer. No spot here.

AFC SOUTH
    Indy- Perhaps as Manning's caddy. That's about it.

Jacksonville- It's Leftwich, another injury prone Marshall QB and David Garrard. No spot open here for Pennington.

Tennessee- They seem poised to part ways with McNair. They already have Billy Volek and they could very well draft a franchise QB at 3 in April. This is Penny's hometown but I don't see an opening here for him.

Houston- It's David Carr's team. Maybe they look for a caddy for him. Kubiak runs a variation of the west coast offense and Mike Sherman is on board.

AFC WEST
    Oakland- Pennington is not a Raider type QB. Al Davis loves big strong armed QB's. There could be an opening here at QB depending on what Oakland does with Collins.

San Diego- They have Brees and Rivers. No spot here for Pennington.

Denver- They could use a more reliable backup for Plummer. Chad worked with Dinger last year but I don't know how well that went exactly. I don't see a fit here.

Kansas City- Trent Green is a very good NFL QB. He's getting old though and Herm loves Pennington. Chad wouldn't start here in 06 but he'd have a shot in the future if he can get healthy.

As you can see, There are very few teams where Chad would have a shot to be the starter and they are all competition situations.

He could land a backup job and would on the open market but not at premium money.

Banned
    It's collusion. Just like Herman "KC Never Contacted Me Before I Asked To Leave The Jets" Edwards, Condon likely put out some feelers with the likes of Kansas City and Dallas for his clients services in 2007.

Edwards and Tuna being Chad fans, and both needing QB help two years from now, it might make sense for Chad to not be a part of anyone's program in 2006 and be an unrestricted free agent in 2007.

No NFL QB has ever come back from two consecutive shoulder surgeries, so no NFL agent has ever had to craft a strategy to go down this road; perhaps Condon wants Chad to be unemployed in 2006 so that he can pitch him at full market value without incentives in 2007.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok14
    Plus he gets what like 9 mil rather than 1 mil doesn't he?
    If Penny does not accept the cut he gets cut and has nothing but what we have already paid him. The cap hit will be as much as 12mil though. It is all paper money. Part of the 22mil we have already paid him to be the hurt boy wonder.

All League
    To sit out 2006 would be best for Chad. But the Jets can not pay him 9 Million to do it. The Jets will take the 12 million hit because odds are...Chad is done...1 million does not mean as much to Chad as is does to us...since I believe he has taken care of his future...but no one WANTS another million more then one who has them....he should take what he is worth now...sit the bench with the Jets...learn the new system and come back strong in 2007...if he can...a new team will not sign him to a better contract and he will have a hard time finding a showcase....with the Jets he has one...

Sho

All League
    Condon is more than willing to lose his share of the 1MM (approx 30k). If the Jets do cut Chad, thats all he is out and he can negotiate a new deal in 06 or 07, potentially reaping another big payday for himself.

He isn't about to voluntarily cut his own pay, which would happen if he recommended Chad take the cut. Condon is due to collect up to about 250K on this years contract.

Hall Of Fame

has until March 3

Tom Condon and Mike Tannenbaum are suppose to discuss Pennington at the combine. Both parties are playing hardball but things might get to girlie ball before the March 3 deadline is up.

All League
    The million is not guaranteed. Pennington signs the contract, he's then released and the Jets save 3 million on the cap hit. Pennington gets zero.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    What Tom Condon is doing right now is contacting NFL teams to see what interest there is in Chad Pennington. I know that it's not supposed to be done legally but Condon's job is to find out what the market will be for his client.

As you once told be before I'm not a GM but wouldn't that be tampering for another team to talk to his agent now while he is still under contract?

Nobody knows what the details were of the contract offer. If the incentives are impossible to reach, even if healthy, why take it? He's guaranteed a job for at least 450K, which is about the vets minimum I think, and probably a better incentive laden deal. There are probably 8 or 9 spots where he could get a job as a backup and a handful where he could have a chance to start.

But his goal isnt going to be to start next season if he leaves NY. His goal is going to be to come in, fly under the radar, build up his arm, and remain healthy the entire season as a backup doing full practices and maybe see a little real time if needed. In NY the pressure and media blitz is going to be so high any little bump in the road will hurt Chad's chances to get a job in 2007, which is the real goal for Pennington if the Jets release him. Alot of jobs could be open by then, if some of the younger guys(Losman, smith, Rivers,etc...) fall flat and there is no patience in the organizations, some of the older ones just cant go anymore(Warner, Collins, Bledsoe), or the injured guys never return(Culpepper, Griese, Palmer, McNabb, Brees) and need another starting caliber QB brought in.

Practice Squad
    Chuck Quackerston should go play for Frankfurt in NFL Europe for a season...he's got a lot of hot dog in him...who knows, maybe they take a fancy to him....

"Ducks L'Orange passes Frankfurt into a tie for last place as the Galaxy surge to their second victory of the season...."

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    The million is not guaranteed. Pennington signs the contract, he's then released and the Jets save 3 million on the cap hit. Pennington gets zero.
    That would be such a total bastard thing to do...

I doubt that if Pennington accepts the cut, that'll happen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    That would be such a total bastard thing to do...

I doubt that if Pennington accepts the cut, that'll happen.
    Agreed 100%. In fact, maybe Condon says, okay...Chad will take $1M in a bonus on March 3 and then the veteran's minimum salary (about $500K) in 2006 plus incentives? This way, Chad is guarateed his $1M.

All Pro
    jetstream, that sounds reasonable, but I think that if the bonus on March 3rd will be brought down to 1 mil, then his base will be more than the vets min.