Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennington Wants To Stay!!! Tells Rep Get It Done!!!

Veteran

Pennington Wants To Stay!!! Tells Rep Get It Done!!!

Jets | Pennington wants to stay with the team
    Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:08:10 -0800

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl">New York Jets QB Chad Pennington has apparently instructed agent Tom Condon to do everything in his power to keep him with the Jets. Whether the feeling is mutual will become apparent by the time Condon and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum meet face-to-face this weekend in an attempt to resolve the quarterback's contract. During a lengthy interview session upon arriving in Indianapolis, Tannenbaum said the two sides have had "many conversations" and are "in the middle of active negotiations."

All Pro
    Maybe he realized that the world is not beating a path to his door. His options are relatively limited. He should take the small money and if he has anythiing left, the incentives will kick in.

Veteran
    Maybe it is his agent - took tough stance with Tim Couch negotiations - and where in the world is he now!!

i don't see where this is such a big surprise by either side.

chad has got to know that until he proves otherwise, he is damaged goods and has very little market value. the jets know that to keep him on the team simply to avoid a cap hit is the wrong message. the best thing is what the jets have done by saying "show me" to chad. this whole thing isn't done yet because chad still isn't capable of showing anyone anything. i suspect his job and career are still on the line until the training camp starts and he starts throwing for real.

Practice Squad
    Pennington probally realizes there isn't many teams interested out there. He also probally knows about 90 to 95% of Jets fans want him out and by restructuring his contract he thinks all will be forgiven and wants 1 last shot to prove himself to the organization and its fans.

All League
    Get it done.

We all know of Chad's physical limitations even before the two surgeries.

Now I know that "if" is a pretty big word for just two letters, but...

IF Chad can be even remotely healthy, we all saw that he had magic in him at times, and when we were dismantling the Colts at home or outplaying the Chargers on the road, nobody was bemoaning the fact that our QB had a noodle for an arm.

Hopefully the two sides come to an agreement that is beneficial to both, and Chad gets another shot.

I, for one, want to see him on the field again.

All Pro
    Maybe this is why Mangini was smiling while discussing Chad during his interview on NFL Network because he knows pretty much everyone is thinking that Chad will be cut from the team but now things have changed. Mangini is being sly with this particular situation and enjoying it too.

With this, I'd still draft a QB with our 4th pick because if Chad proves himself to be close to ability before his second injury, that's all well and good for the team. If not, the drafted QB can start and this is what everyone is pretty much prepared for and so it won't be something that all JETS fans will be surprised of.
    Last edited by MrSFJFC; 02-24-2006 at 09:14 AM.

All League
    Chad is a smart guy....he knows this is his best option...I also think he wants to stay with the Jets....I made another post where I pointed out I thought the problem was one word... AGENT ! I still do...

Sho

Undrafted Free Agent
    Just maybe once I wish people here would give some of these players a chance. Maybe Chad really wanted to stay and prove everyone wrong and maybe he is a team player and understands the cap situation. I believe that all the posturing has been as a result of his agent not Chad. Lets see what happens....not everyone in the NFL is a money hungry fool.

Rookie
    YES!!! I want Chad to stay with us, the guy is just so classy and nice. C'mon Chad!!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterD
    Pennington probally realizes there isn't many teams interested out there. He also probally knows about 90 to 95% of Jets fans want him out and by restructuring his contract he thinks all will be forgiven and wants 1 last shot to prove himself to the organization and its fans.
    I would bet my house the the number is nowhere near 90%....

Veteran
    why? another restructure to screw us on the cap in 2007, 2008, and 2009?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    It is hardly good news to hear that a team in a clear re-build mode is going to do anything to keep a QB with a twice-devastated wing, who was never much of an arm to begin with, and the odds say will never recover to even 80% of his former self.....however good that even was.

Loyalty is admirable, it is, but it doesn't win championships. If Chad was a Patriot, he is already gone. And that is why we're not the Patriots.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Warfish we are not winning a championship this year. Reality. If Chad helps us by giving us cap room and is able to play at a decent level while giving us time to groom a GB then its a win win situation for everyone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BergenJet
    I would bet my house the the number is nowhere near 90%....
    I agree. No way is the number of fans hoping for Pennington to leave that high. At most, I'd say 50-50 and even that is probably over estimating the numbers who want to see him leave. I believe the majority want to see him attempt a comeback, but at a greatly reduced cap number following a straight pay cut.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec321
    Warfish we are not winning a championship this year. Reality. If Chad helps us by giving us cap room and is able to play at a decent level while giving us time to groom a GB then its a win win situation for everyone.
    LOL, you don't have to tell ME we're not winning this year, as I am JI's resident Realist/Pessimist, and one a very select few who actually saw the debacle of 2005 before it happened.

Reality is, we have nothing to indicate Chad will ever return to even "decent level" play again. He is a burden now, and reneg'ing just shifts the burden downstream, to when it might actually be needed to sign that "one last piece" for contention.

We suck now, I think the vast majority will aquiese to that reality. Why not take the hit of this horrible contract NOW, while it doesn;t really hurt us, rather that later, when it might.

I guess it all comes down to faith, faith that Chad will either come back and be Trent Dilfer, or lack of faith, in that Chad won't come back and be anything. Personally, I don't want him even if he's Dilferesque, but thats just me.

People who think he's going to roar back and be better than average are, at least in the world of logic and fact, living in a fantasy world. But then again, who am I to take that away from them.

For all his "physical limitations" Pennington is a winner. There was rarely a game he played in where we didn't have a shot to win. Now I think he will eventually make a full recovery from his injuries. Probably not this coming season but within 2 years he should be fully back. The problem is that the next major injury might be just around the corner.

He could be a kind of Chris Chandler (Cristal Chandelier) type player that is excellent when healthy but can never stay on the field for a prolonged period.

I think the best outcome to the current situation is that Chad comes back at a greatly reduced salary. If the price is right we can carry another starting caliber QB like Mcknown or Schaub and let the chips fall as they may.

That scenario gives us the best chance of fielding a competetive team next season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec321
    All cap implications aside, it's a bad move to keep Chad on the roster because it will under-mind any QB the Jets try to develop. Chad is clearly yesterday even if he makes it back from injury, your talking about a 30-31 year old QB with limited physical tools. There will always be a contingent of rose colored glasses wearing Jet fans that pray at the alter of Chad,and how are the Jets going to develop a young QB when every time he struggles, these Chad faithful go nuts calling for their savior?? Chad has to go, it's simple as that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan
    Maybe he realized that the world is not beating a path to his door. His options are relatively limited. He should take the small money and if he has anythiing left, the incentives will kick in.
    From the Jets perspective, PennyBoy's new contract should be very simple:

$1 Million salary

$8 Million in playing-time incentives (50% of offensive snaps in ALL 16 games)

This should be a non-negotiable, take-it-or-leave-it offer from the Jets.

If PennyBoy can get his fragile a** on the playing field, he would not lose a dime of money.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    All cap implications aside, it's a bad move to keep Chad on the roster because it will under-mind any QB the Jets try to develop. Chad is clearly yesterday even if he makes it back from injury, your talking about a 30-31 year old QB with limited physical tools. There will always be a contingent of rose colored glasses wearing Jet fans that pray at the alter of Chad,and how are the Jets going to develop a young QB when every time he struggles, these Chad faithful go nuts calling for their savior?? Chad has to go, it's simple as that.
    Sucks that a Chowd sees things so much more clearly than my fellow Jets fans.