Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets QB: 10 Years Of Instability Has To End NOW

Banned

Jets QB: 10 Years Of Instability Has To End NOW

Since 1996, the Jets have had about a season-and-two-thirds of rock-solid QB play:

1996: Neil O'Donnell experiment backfires.
    1997: Neil O'Donnell improves, but isn't trusted.
    1998: Glenn Foley falters, Vinny Testaverde heroic.
    1999: The Achilles. QB by committee. Ray Lucas too late.
    2000: Tentative Testaverde. Inconsistent.
    2001: Tentative Testaverde. Better, but aging rapidly.
    2002: Testaverde crumbles. Pennington surprises.
    2003: The Wrist. Testaverde brave, but done.
    2004: The Shoulder Part I. Chad fights through.
    2005: The Shoulder Part's II and III. Disaster.

I'm being pretty kind to Boomer Esiason and Ken O'Brien; the ten years detailed above could easily be extended back twenty years to 1986 since we've had a QB we could really truly not worry about.

I'm sick of it. I'm tired of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was so happy when Pennington appeared in 2002, thanking God above for finally delivering to the Jets a quality QB that could compete. A QB that we wouldn't have to worry about. Another cruel trick on us, unfortunately.

You just can't win in the NFL with this type of performance at the QB position. If not for the strong players around the signal-caller, we'd have never sniffed the playoffs in that span.

So, I want a quarterback this time. I want to draft someone that can be a difference-maker, and someone we can 100% rely on to get us to the promised land.

Cutler? Young? Leinart? I don't care. As long as it's one of them, I'll be happy as a clam. I don't want a tackle. I don't want a DE. I don't want a RB. I want a quarterback. A franchise, talented, hardened, power-armed, intelligent quarterback.

I don't care about the cap. I don't care about Chad's strain on the finances.

I want a QB.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 02-25-2006 at 10:51 PM.

All League
    And I believe that it is because of this inconsistency, that so many fell in love with Chad. He was the first sight of a franchise QB for a long time.

I'm with ya SAR, I want to be able to buy a Jets QB jersey, and know that it'll be in the closet for more than 3 years.

All League
    I have no problem with wanting a new QB. It's clear that Mangini/Tannenbaum don't believe in Chad.

But I'm 100% against Cutler. To me, Cutler is nothing more than the next debacle on that list of yours. Leinart ? Fine. Don't think he'll be great. But he'll be a solid performer. Young ? Absolutely. An athletic freak who plays his best in crucial spots of big games. But not Kyle Bolle....I mean Jay Cutler. The Jets have gone down this road before with the "workout warrior" (Bryan Thomas and DeWayne Robertson)

I don't know if we will be able to stablize it this year either! . Chad isn't the answer, I am not huge on Cutler, and It looks like Rivers is a off chance now. The QB position is a major concern for us in my book!

Undrafted Free Agent

Just our luck

Perhaps we will get an extra #1 pick plus for trading Abrahams?
    Just our luck, we will get a QB and he will get hurt (hope not).

Hall Of Fame
    My plan is to go after the franchise guy via draft or trade next year unless we can trade for a guy Tangini really like this year cheap. Build the O-line this year and perhaps next, then go after the franchise QB when you have someone to protect him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    By the way, here's another timeline.

1980: Jets pass on Anthony Munoz for Lam Jones.
    1993: Jets pass on Willie Roaf and Lincoln Kennedy for Marvin Jones.
    1996: Jets pass on Jon Ogden for Keyshawn Johnson
    1997: Jets trade away the first pick in the draft, and as a result pass on the chance to draft Orlando Pace OR Walter Jones. Instead they take James Farrior.

You're giving a timeline of our history at QB, which though it has been rough, hasn't been as rough as our draft history when it comes to drafting offensive linemen, of which we have NO bluechip prospects on our line right now, and it's pretty much required to have them if you plan on competing in this league.

Picking a tackle is never a sexy pick, but sometimes it's the smart pick my friend.

And it's no coincidence that with the exception of Roaf, all of those LT's we passed on wound up being integral pieces to a team that made a run to the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 02-25-2006 at 08:52 PM.

All League
    What if Woody wants Chad?

What if Woody want the cheapest QB scenario?

What if Woody doesnt want another "franchise potential" QB?

We're with ya Woody just like SAR is with ya!

Waterboy

IT Goes back even further...

I recall the passage of Matt Robinson, Pat Ryan... Aside from Joe Willy, Richard Todd (Oh Boy!) and Ken O'Brien, we have NEVER had a stable ACE that could perform consistently and stay healthy!

I share your frustration, and add my voice to yours that NOW IS THE TIME TO GET OURS!

All Pro
    everytime we get a QB on this team we get our hopes up..
    Nagle looked like an all pro that first game vs Atlanta, Boomer was hot his first few games with us - lighting up Miami, Philly (in a loss) and NE.. O'donnel i never liked - Foley had hints of talent, Vinny was great in 98 - Lucas showed he can win and Chad impressed in 2002... But none of them had a good 2nd season with us or there after

Waterboy
    CUTLER....Just do it

All League
    Sar1, Listen. If we did indeed draft a QB like Cutler without drastically improving our O-Line with a pick like D'brick, then we would be repeating the mistake the Texans made with Carr. Carr is an better than average quaterback if he had more than a All Star HS O-line protecting him. Any GM in this league would tell you that yes having a capable QB is important, however if you cant protect him, you will end up having another Pennington or Carr situation. While I like Cutler, and I see the need of adding him to our roster, it doesnt make sense if we cant protect him.

That said, we do need someone to compete with Chad if we are able to redo his contract. I think the value of the board and our needs dictate who we choose and when. At #4 we need a quality LT no matter who is back there throwing, Cutler included. Understand that the maturity of great QB's arent made with having suspect O-lines. While I would love to have ML or Cutler, I would much rather have D'brick and Croyle any day of the week.

Hall Of Fame

Who do we take

Who do we take. Take your pick Leinart, Cutler, and Young. They go in an because we don't get a pro bowl LT, Leinart goes back to pass and gets blindsided by the DE Dwight Freeney. Then put in Cutler, same thing again. Put in Young and they take Dwight out on a stretcher because he can't catch Vince.

Or

Put in D'Brick at LT.

Again choose your QB Pennington , Bollinger.. Chad goes back to pass and finds Coles in the endzone for a TD.....look folks Dwight Freeney got hurt by D'Brick's karate chop to the xxx.

Vince Young or D'Brick........how about both.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Since 1996, the Jets have had about a season-and-two-thirds of rock-solid QB play:

1996: Neil O'Donnell experiment backfires.
    1997: Neil O'Donnell improves, but isn't trusted.
    1998: Glenn Foley falters, Vinny Testaverde heroic.
    1999: The Achilles. QB by committee. Ray Lucas too late.
    2000: Tentative Testaverde. Inconsistent.
    2001: Tentative Testaverde. Better, but aging rapidly.
    2002: Testaverde crumbles. Pennington surprises.
    2003: The Wrist. Testaverde brave, but done.
    2004: The Shoulder Part I. Chad fights through.
    2005: The Shoulder Part's II and III. Disaster.

I'm being pretty kind to Boomer Esiason and Ken O'Brien; the ten years detailed above could also be extended back twenty years to 1986 since we've had a QB we could really truly not worry about.

I'm sick of it. I'm tired of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was so happy when Pennington appeared in 2002, thanking God above for finally delivering to the Jets a quality QB that could compete. A QB that we wouldn't have to worry about. Another cruel trick on us, unfortunately.

You just can't win in the NFL with this type of performance at the QB position. If not for the strong players around the signal-caller, we'd have never sniffed the playoffs in that span.

So, I want a quarterback this time. I want to draft someone that can be a difference-maker, and someone we can 100% rely on to get us to the promised land.

Cutler? Young? Leinart? I don't care. As long as it's one of them, I'll be happy as a clam. I don't want a tackle. I don't want a DE. I don't want a RB. I want a quarterback. A franchise, talented, hardened, power-armed, intelligent quarterback.

I don't care about the cap. I don't care about Chad's strain on the finances.

I want a QB.

SAR I
    On pure passion and emotion alone.......

All Pro
    Sar, I agree but rather we get to a franchise qb a different way.

Taking a Qb in the top 5 is far to risky for me.

Drafting one that early leads you to a GIGANTIC DEAL. So after the first year on the bench the QB is then given atleast 2-3 years of playing time before he is given up on.

Thats 4 YEARS!!!!. I dont think I could deal with that. Not after those crazy stats that RJF said, and those QB stats in my other topic.

My method here would be to trade/take a qb anywhere after round 1 that has Franchise potential. Take Shaub, Ramsey, Gerrard, whoever and take your chance on them. Roughly they all have 1-2 years left on their deals, and that is more then enough time to know if there part of the future or not.

Veteran
    AWESOME THREAD SAR I. The Jets have lacked a franchise QB forever, and Joe Willie (maybe O'Brien to some extent) was really the only one. You don't draft a LT at #4 in round one when your franchise so desporately needs a QB. It's easier to acquire OL via free agency than a QB (plus, OL can be addressed in the later rounds). The Jets MUST (and I've been saying this since like November) draft a QB at 4. I like Young, but Cutler may be the man too.

All League
    I disagree if it means taking Cutler. The Jets need to get this new regime off with a rock solid draft pick (Young, Leinart, Ferguson), not the 2nd coming of Kyle Boller.

Rookie
    Maybe Cutler is our Franchise QB, and maybe not. Same goes for Rivers, Brees, Culpepper, and all the other rumor QB's.

Though I would advise we get a couple more 2nd and 3rd rounders to get OT/OG. The 2006 draft is deep in Tackles, and D'Brick is only one guy.

Of course, the Jet Dream Draft looks good on paper. But as always the boos will arise from Jets Fans around the world once announced.

I agree you use a #4 on a skill position like Qb, RB ect. The Jets greatest need is QB If Chad goes down to me its not if its when the Jets are back to the same senario that haunted them the last 30 years inconsistency at QB. The Veterans available are all failures as QBs they are rejects that never did much of anything including Kitna. Everybody is talking about Nagle but Nagle was not a first round pick he fell into the 2nd round that could be true omar Jacobs, croyle ect. If the scouts think Cutler is the man take him if its Leniart then use Abe and the 4th pick and trade up. Lets not screw this up again. The Jets have the ammo to get whatever QB they want in this draft dont sit here and wait get aggressive. Everybody is crying Dbrick but the truth is you already have a Young LT who is the same size as Dbrick who was the only bright spot last season. Why would you draft the same identical player for the same position that sounds like somthing Bradway would do. Im with you get a QB go all out then use the 2nd rounder to grab a decent RT Youngblood, Winston,Mcneil one of these guys will be there at #36 . With Jones and one of these guys the Jets will have their bookend Tackles without spending 5 million a year.
    A OL is a dime a dozen but a franchise QB is rare and hard to grab. You can have the best OL in the world with a great core of recievers but if your QB sucks you are not going to win. Look at the Raiders they have all the talent in the world but Kerry Collins sucks look at the Giants when Collins was running that. Both of those teams had tons of talent including a top notch OL Raiders have Gallery a top 5 draft pick OL like Dbrick where are the Raiders now case closed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kazrell
    Sar1, Listen. If we did indeed draft a QB like Cutler without drastically improving our O-Line with a pick like D'brick, then we would be repeating the mistake the Texans made with Carr. Carr is an better than average quaterback if he had more than a All Star HS O-line protecting him. Any GM in this league would tell you that yes having a capable QB is important, however if you cant protect him, you will end up having another Pennington or Carr situation. While I like Cutler, and I see the need of adding him to our roster, it doesnt make sense if we cant protect him.

That said, we do need someone to compete with Chad if we are able to redo his contract. I think the value of the board and our needs dictate who we choose and when. At #4 we need a quality LT no matter who is back there throwing, Cutler included. Understand that the maturity of great QB's arent made with having suspect O-lines. While I would love to have ML or Cutler, I would much rather have D'brick and Croyle any day of the week.
    How'd Carson Palmer do after a few years behind the Bungles O line?

How'd Eli Manning do after one year getting pummelled by the Eagles and Cowboys?

Picking a high QB is a diceroll. For every Carr, there's a Palmer. Lord knows we're owed something after all these years.

SAR I