Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edwards interested in Pennington

All League

Edwards interested in Pennington

Chiefs | Edwards would be interested in Pennington
    Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:54:38 -0800

Ken Berger and Bob Glauber, of Newsday, report if the New York Jets can't work out a new contract with QB Chad Pennington and they have to release him, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards would be interested in bringing Pennington to Kansas City. Such a move would be complicated, considering that the Chiefs' salary-cap situation is even worse than the Jets. Edwards, who is forbidden by league rules to discuss players under contract with other teams, deflected Jet-related questions at the NFL Combine Saturday, Feb. 25.

Rookie
    I was just ready to post this news. Came back to post it and here it is. Herm can have him if he wants.

Rookie
    It's nice to know that Herm is en route to driving the KC franchise into the ground, much like he did here. I will bet the house that within a few years he takes that talented roster and turns them into a group of underachievers.

Hall Of Fame
    First the Jet-skins, now get ready for the debut of the next great wonder of the world................

The Jiefs

Had Herm not rushed Pennington back, he wouldn't be rehabing right now.

Rookie
    Herm with KC will show his true colors. He took a very good Jets team and did basically nothing. he could not build off of that. He will do the same thing in KC.

This will show he cannot build a team. He cannot sustain only diminish a team's performance over time.

JMO.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Pennington was the only one who could ever correctly manage the clock for Herm. So even if he didn't play for KC, he could be #2 and stand next to him all game, basically managing the clock. Although it's a lot easier for him to do it on the field. Herm probably realized that every other QB and coach he trusted with the clock was as big a dummy as him, so he may see some value in Pennington for that.

Banned
    Puh-leeeeese.

Chad's agent is spinning and spinning trying to do anything to get the Jets to pony up bigger bucks. So now its the public humiliation of having Herm 'steal' Chad from us?

Tanngini isn't that naive.

SAR I

Moderator VIP Visionary

More money?

Shouldn't happen. Fair offer. Like Ham says, lets see the man bet on himself. No one knows anything, so how could the offer NOT be fair? It is in the best interests of the New York Jets, that offer.

Condon can sit and spin for all I care.

All Pro
    Just curious....

If you were a head coach and wanted to let a player know that you were interested without contacting him or his agent directly (as if that doesn't happen anyway), wouldn't it be nice to slip the tidbits to the local writers in that market?

Of course the writers won't reveal their sources but assuming they heard this from a reputable source, isn't this tantamount to tampering, whether provable or not? On the other hand, if this was slipped by someone representing the agent as suggested above, shame on the writers for being dumb enough to be used that way. Come to think of it, either way the writers are allowing themselves to be used. Kind of pathetic.

-Dan
    Last edited by nycdan; 02-26-2006 at 02:20 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan
    Just curious....

If you were a head coach and wanted to let a player know that you were interested without contacting him or his agent directly (as if that doesn't happen anyway), wouldn't it be nice to slip the tidbits to the local writers in that market?

Of course the writers won't reveal their sources but assuming they heard this from a reputable source, isn't this tantamount to tampering, whether provable or not? It's so sadly predictable when a head coach leaves under less then pleasant circumstances.

-Dan
    Herm wouldn't use the press to show interest in another team or player, and to avoid tampering charges, would he?

Veteran
    I would like to see Chad be in some sort of position with the Jets in '06 if he restructures and can throw, however, the thinking of Herm wanting to bring him to KC as a backup is just stupid on Herms part! If the Jets let him go, he should be finished in the NFL.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    First the Jet-skins, now get ready for the debut of the next great wonder of the world................

The Jiefs

How 'bout the Chets!!

Banned
    Is this any suprise. Herm would keep for as long as he lived as a 3rd stringer. Honestly it is a suprise that you are actually able to see Herm's face because he has head so far up Pennyboy's a$$.

Veteran
    not surprised he'd want him at all esp w/ todd collins and damon huard on the depth chart. i just wonder if hed be stupid enough to go w/ a less then healthy chad over a quality qb like trent green

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMBOJET28
    not surprised he'd want him at all esp w/ todd collins and damon huard on the depth chart. i just wonder if hed be stupid enough to go w/ a less then healthy chad over a quality qb like trent green
    He'll still go with T. Green in my opinion but Herm is the only one that seems to be interested in Chad because I haven't seen any other teams show that they'd like Chad on their team. This might be good in the head of Chad & his agent, just in case he doesn't get signed with the JETS.

The Chiefs could have him, I mean what is he trying to do. Green is much better then Pennington. It just seems to me that Edwards was not ready to leave the Jets because he liked the players. But he did the right think and leave.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_Jet
    How 'bout the Chets!!
    thought about that, Jiefs sounded stupider.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Puh-leeeeese.

Chad's agent is spinning and spinning trying to do anything to get the Jets to pony up bigger bucks. So now its the public humiliation of having Herm 'steal' Chad from us?

Tanngini isn't that naive.

SAR I
    Exactly.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    He'll still go with T. Green in my opinion but Herm is the only one that seems to be interested in Chad because I haven't seen any other teams show that they'd like Chad on their team. This might be good in the head of Chad & his agent, just in case he doesn't get signed with the JETS.
    Yeah its real good for Chad and his agent. I'm sure they will be jumping for joy when good ol papa Herm offers them the vet minimum to come play for the Chiefs.