Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Vargas vs. Mosley

Rookie

OT: Vargas vs. Mosley

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2345304

Mosley's future looks brighter after win

By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- One of the first right hands that Sugar Shane Mosley landed in the first round raised swelling on Fernando Vargas' left eye.

By the 10th round, the eye was closed and grotesquely swollen, and referee Joe Cortez stopped the fight.

For Mosley, it was a dominant TKO victory in the junior middleweight showdown between the Southern California superstars on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay, and a new lease on his ring life.

Mosley, 34, a former lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight champ, had been on the slide the past few years, as was Vargas. But, now, with his first meaningful victory since winning a rematch against Oscar De La Hoya in 2003, Mosley has extended his shelf life as a marquee fighter.

AP Photo/Eric Jamison
    Vargas (left) got in his shots, but didn't last against Mosley's constant barrage.

"In the first round, I hit him in the eye with a right hand," Mosley said. "As the rounds went on, [the swelling] got bigger and bigger, and I was like, 'Wow.' I was looking over at [promotional partners] Bernard [Hopkins] and Oscar and they were yelling, 'The eye! The eye!' That fight shows that I am very strong. It was a great fight."

Vargas' future, however, is about as murky as his vision. Although he is only 28, it's an old 28. The former two-time junior middleweight champ has lost his three biggest fights by knockout to Mosley, De La Hoya (11th round) and Felix Trinidad (12th round), coincidentally all in the Mandalay Bay ring.

He has also had a serious back problem, sat out for nine months on a steroids suspension and struggled with his weight.

By the eighth round Vargas' left eye was severely swollen and virtually closed. Mosley, meanwhile, continued throwing fast combinations and targeting the eye with his right hand as the swelling got worse and worse.

Between rounds, Vargas' eye was closely examined and it appeared completely shut. But the fight was allowed to continue.

In the ninth, Mosley (42-4, 36 KOs) continued to torture Vargas' eye; Vargas simply could not see the shots coming. Still, the fight was allowed to continue.

But between rounds, Cortez, ringside physician David Watson and Nevada commission executive director Marc Ratner huddled to talk about the condition of Vargas' eye. The outcome: If Vargas couldn't avoid the continual right-hand assault, they had to stop the fight.

AP Photo/Eric Jamison
    Vargas' swollen eye shut down his night.

Mosley, who earned $3 million plus a percentage of the pay-per-view profits, continued to rain shots in the 10th -- mainly right hands -- and Cortez finally stopped the fight at 1:22.

HBO will replay the bout next Saturday (10 p.m. ET) along with the live Miguel Cotto-Gianluca Branco junior welterweight title fight.

Mosley led on two scorecards at the time of the stoppage, but incredibly was behind 86-85 on judge Patricia Jarman's card.

Vargas (26-3), who earned $4 million plus a percentage of the pay-per-view profits, will be $100,000 lighter in the wallet after betting Mosley $100,000 to whomever could score a knockout.

Vargas certainly seemed to agree with Jarman's scoring of the fight.

"It was a head butt in the second or third round that caused the swelling," he said. "It started to become a problem in the seventh round. I was wondering why they stopped the fight because I was putting pressure on him and backing him into the ropes. I kept wondering why they stopped the fight."

Although Vargas did not comment on his future beyond the obligatory "I'll take a break and then talk things over with my family," Mosley should find himself in another major fight soon. He wants the pound-for-pound king, Floyd Mayweather Jr., who is scheduled to face Zab Judah on April 8 in a welterweight fight.

"Mayweather is the No. 1 guy," Mosley said of his desired fight.

Mosley came out fast in the first round and peppered Vargas with flurries to start the swelling. Vargas resorted to two low blows and was warned, but Mosley shook it off and landed some crisp right hands.

Mosley continued to fight at a fast pace in the second round, placing hard body shots and right hands. He was clearly the quicker fighter as Vargas was throwing one punch at a time.

Vargas, whose right eye also began to swell, continued to throw low blows in the third before being sternly warned by Cortez. By the end of the round, Mosley and Vargas were brawling at close quarters and the crowd was going wild.

The pace slowed a bit in the fifth, which gave Vargas a chance to land shots as he had his best round. But Mosley came back in the sixth and continued to display much faster hands than Vargas. As the round was winding down, Mosley hammered Vargas with flurries in the corner and the eye was getting worse.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.
    Just curious, did anyone see the fight? I want to catch the replay next week on HBO.

Rookie
    I held off paying for this one and it looks like I missed an entertaining fight. Did you see the photo of Vargas's eye..

I'll watch it next Sat. when they play the repeat with the Cotto fight.

Hall Of Fame
    I bought it and I thought it was pretty good. Vargas could have easily won that fight had his eye not swelled up the way it did. Vargas hadn't even been hurt by any of Moseley's punches. Unfortunate for Vargas because the scorecards when they stopped the fight were all very close. Two judges had Moseley winning 86-85 and the other had it for Vargas 86-85. Also understand this was the resulting score after Vargas' eye had become completely shut, so he couldn't see the punches coming for two rounds.

I was thinking to myself and the ringside commentators were all remarking about how little power was behind Moseley's punches. They just didn't pack any power. When Vargas threw a shot and it landed, you could tell it must really hurt.

Well in the end Moseley has seemingly resurrected his career from ashes. He plans on moving to welterweight and taking on Floyd Mayweather.............

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    I bought it and I thought it was pretty good. Vargas could have easily won that fight had his eye not swelled up the way it did. Vargas hadn't even been hurt by any of Moseley's punches. Unfortunate for Vargas because the scorecards when they stopped the fight were all very close. Two judges had Moseley winning 86-85 and the other had it for Vargas 86-85. Also understand this was the resulting score after Vargas' eye had become completely shut, so he couldn't see the punches coming for two rounds.

I was thinking to myself and the ringside commentators were all remarking about how little power was behind Moseley's punches. They just didn't pack any power. When Vargas threw a shot and it landed, you could tell it must really hurt.

Well in the end Moseley has seemingly resurrected his career from ashes. He plans on moving to welterweight and taking on Floyd Mayweather.............

Big time Mistake!!!! Plan on watching Mosley get beaten up really bad. Floyd will stop him in the 6th.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Toon 77
    [/B]

Big time Mistake!!!! Plan on watching Mosley get beaten up really bad. Floyd will stop him in the 6th.
    I would have to agree...........Floyd Mayweather is the best pound for pound fighter in the world today as far as I am concerned. For a while I thought Manny Pacquiao could be the best but after watching Mayweather's thorough dismantling of Arturo Gatti, my opinion has changed............

All League
    Moselys hand-speed was too much for Vargas....Vargas is a natural Middle-Junior Middleweight coming down from his walk around weight of 190 lbs....Mosely made his career at 135 and is just not strong enough to hurt guys as big as Vargas....After all, coming up in weight, he weighed in two pounds below the contracted 154....DeLaHoya had the same problem....at 130 he was freakishly big and was crushing opponents....as he gradually moved up he became less able to hurt and compete with the naturally bigger fighters....The guy that really impressed me on the card was the heavyweight Calvin Brock....While I'm a fan of the lighter weights, this guy seemed patient throughout a lackluster fight and was able to close the show big with one of the classic "one punch" K.O.'s I've seen in a long while....We'll see when the competition steps up....He's being protected and brought along slow now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Decent fight, I still say Mayweather shouldn't even take that fight, he's got bigger fish to fry, I don't think there's anyone in the boxing world who thinks he'll prove anything by beating up on Mosley, who's clearly NOT the fighter he used to be.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree and it will be interesting to see if Mosley can entice Mayweather to sign for a fight. I doubt it. Mayweather just seems to be on a much bigger stage........

Floyd Mayweather needs to start fighting some good fighters, so we can see if he really is the best out there. I don't get why he would fight Judah, after he just lost all his belts. Floyd needs to fight Ricky Hatten, now that would be a true champinship fight.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy
    Floyd Mayweather needs to start fighting some good fighters, so we can see if he really is the best out there. I don't get why he would fight Judah, after he just lost all his belts. Floyd needs to fight Ricky Hatten, now that would be a true champinship fight.
    That would be a bad fight "style wise" for Mayweather to take (Even though I firmly believe that he'll outclass Hatten). Judah and Mosley would be two profitable fights for PBF before he fights Hatten.

Rookie
    That what I'm dying to see Hatton Mayweather. Hatton might just have enough balls and grit to muscle Floyd around grab him destroy him to the body ALL NIGHT and really beat up Floyd. Floyd has really only been hurt a few times in his career. Once was to Chop Chop Corley to the body. He can be beaten and after watching Hatten MAN HANDLE Tzyu one of the toughest most physical fighters of the last decade I can only dream that this goes down.

It would most certainly be fight of the year. Did anyone see Hatton working out hitting the bag on Friday night fights two weeks ago. The guy is brutal. He's just showing off his skills to the commentator and he's grunting and getting all animal on the bag. It was a sight to see. Big time things in the works for Hatton.

Undrafted Free Agent
    have to disagree.... floyd will beat Hatton like he stole something from him. Hatton is good, but no where in Floyds class. PBf handspeed will be just too much for him. look for a big time *** whipping.

Rookie
    Floyd could fight a "good" fight and beat Hatton. Stop him on cuts or tko without a doubt I agree. Hatton would need to be flawless no question Floyd fights inside with the best of them and could beat Hatton at his own game. Hatton is way faster than Gatti and that fight is still fresh and they appear to be similar fighters but to think that would be a mistake. Gatti is on the down side of a career that had alot of ups and downs. Hatton has not lost, is in his prime and is faster than Gatti ever was. This would not be a cake walk for Floyd. I do agree that Hatton would need to fight the perfect fight to win while Floyd just needs to fight smart. Which he seems to do without even thinking about it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryBadway
    That would be a bad fight "style wise" for Mayweather to take (Even though I firmly believe that he'll outclass Hatten). Judah and Mosley would be two profitable fights for PBF before he fights Hatten.
    To tell you the truth, I don't think any fight is a bad fight style-wise for Mayweather. Mayweather's way too smart to get into a street fight in the ring, he's always relied on his speed, movement, and combo's to carry him and there's no reason he should ever stray from that, as it's never failed him. Mayweather knows this, I'd love to see him fight Hatton, but to tell you the truth I think it would wind up being just another lopsided win for Floyd. Mayweather has always put brawlers to shame whenever he's gotten in the ring with them.

Outside of Winky, there's no fighter out there on his level right now, and even THAT'S hard to judge, because if Floyd would be able to slip in and out of Winky's jab, which he's fully capable of, he'd most certainly beat him to in my opinion.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    That what I'm dying to see Hatton Mayweather. Hatton might just have enough balls and grit to muscle Floyd around grab him destroy him to the body ALL NIGHT and really beat up Floyd. Floyd has really only been hurt a few times in his career. Once was to Chop Chop Corley to the body. He can be beaten and after watching Hatten MAN HANDLE Tzyu one of the toughest most physical fighters of the last decade I can only dream that this goes down.

It would most certainly be fight of the year. Did anyone see Hatton working out hitting the bag on Friday night fights two weeks ago. The guy is brutal. He's just showing off his skills to the commentator and he's grunting and getting all animal on the bag. It was a sight to see. Big time things in the works for Hatton.
    To grab Floyd, he'd have to catch him first, which is something that ain't gonna happen.

Floyd Mayweather would NOT beat Winky Wright. Mayweather would have to put on about 10/15 lbs anyway. Do you guys think the Judah/Mayweather fight is worth getting?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy
    Floyd Mayweather would NOT beat Winky Wright. Mayweather would have to put on about 10/15 lbs anyway. Do you guys think the Judah/Mayweather fight is worth getting?
    Wright has said he would consider dropping down in weight to fight Mayweather.

If you're a Mayweather fan, it's worth getting. I just love watching him do what he does, he's the best fighter of this generation and is going to wind up going down as one of the best ever, so I'm enjoying him while I can.

As Sonny put it so perfectly in "A Bronx Tale:"

"You're only allowed three great women in your lifetime. They come along like the great fighters, every ten years or so."

IMO, Mayweather is one of those 3 for me.

Rookie
    Floyd has a lot of pride and desire to be a big time PPV fighter. Thus he allows himself to get into brawls for periods during fights. He would be so cocky and sure of himself that he would give Hatton the chance to go toe to toe inside for stretches. It's that simple that said Floyd could still win it that way.

Plus what would make one think that Winky Wright would beat Floyd??? Winky was shown to be beatable vs that strange fighting guy who threw from all angles. Floyd can do that and then some. Floyd would beat Winky I have no doubt in my mind.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Floyd has a lot of pride and desire to be a big time PPV fighter. Thus he allows himself to get into brawls for periods during fights. He would be so cocky and sure of himself that he would give Hatton the chance to go toe to toe inside for stretches. It's that simple that said Floyd could still win it that way.

Plus what would make one think that Winky Wright would beat Floyd??? Winky was shown to be beatable vs that strange fighting guy who threw from all angles. Floyd can do that and then some. Floyd would beat Winky I have no doubt in my mind.
    I think it all comes down to the question of if Floyd would be able to slip in and out from Winky's jab. From watching Floyd for practically his entire career, I say he would be. The only way to beat Winky right now is to neutralize his jab, that has to be one of the best jabs in the history of the sport.

It'd be a great fight, but it would all depend on what weight they went at. If Winky dropped down, I'd say Floyd no question, if Floyd moves up, THAT'S when it becomes a very interesting fight.

If Floyd/Wright ever did fight, it depends on which weight. If winky dropped down into the 140's like Floyd, then Floyd would kick his ***. However, if Floyd went into winky's weight class of a middleweight, I think it would be a different outcome.