Thread: My Updated TOP 20 Overall Rankings

Banned

My Updated TOP 20 Overall Rankings

Note: This is not a draft projection or mock draft, it's an overall ranking ... knowing full well that certain players will never be drafted in the TOP 20 if they do not play a premium position {i.e. C/OG}, while other may rise if they do play a premium position ... but regardless of position and draft projections, this is my overall TOP 20

01. RB Reggie Bush
    02. DE Mario Williams
    03. QB Jay Cutler
    04. OT Brick Ferguson
    05. LB AJ Hawk
    06. RB LenDale White
    07. QB Matt Leinart
    08. DT Haloti Ngata
    09. DE Tamba Hali
    10. DB Michael Huff
    11. LB Chad Greenway
    12. RB DeAngelo Williams
    13. DB Jimmy Williams
    14. C/G Nick Mangold
    15. OG Max Jean Gillies
    16. OT Winston Justice
    17. OT Marcus McNeill
    18. TE Vernon Davis
    19. TE Leonard Pope
    20. DT Gabe Watson

Honorable Mention: DT Brodrick Bunkley

The Good news for the Jets in RD 2 {#35 Overall}, there's a good chance they can steal a TOP 20 talent in that spot because even the best C's and OG's tend to slide, even into RD 2, and I have two in my TOP 20 Overall {Mangold and Gillies}

And if that doesn't happen, I can definitely see the Jets having a crack at an outstanding OLB at 35 Overall ... someone like Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard, or D'Qwell Jackson {whom I believe can just as easily play OLB as ILB because he has the skills, and he'd make a good fit for Mangini's fluctuating 4-3/3-4 because he can do both, OLB in the 4-3 and ILB in the 3-4}

Hall Of Fame
    I have to say that I think that most people are overating LenDale White in my opinion. He's a good back no doubt but he benefitted from being the change of pace guy to Reggie Bush. (Much like Lamont Jordan looked great for the Jets two years ago after Martin and the O-line abused the other team all game.) Personally (I know alot would not agree with me) I'd rate Deangelo and Maroney ahead of White.

Interesting and potentially excellent.

We really should trade down. With that type of talent, we should be able to pick up a 2nd rounder plus(+), as well as trade Abe for a 1st rounder.

We really should end up with four--YES (4)-- players out of the first two rounds. Even if that means not picking the next potentially great franchise QB or the slightly higher rated (?) OT to select the big NT the next best OG/OT, a first round quality OG/OT and another starting caliber player (you choose the position); all in rounds 1 & 2.

We have soooo many wholes and needs, one great player is going to get hurt and discouraged, losing all confidence and affectiveness, particularly if it is a QB or RB. We need to build a team this year. Next year we go shopping for toys, this year we want building blocks (with an attitude).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Nice list Ham.

You've got all the right names pretty much covered.

The TE and O-Line positions have the most depth in this draft. WR in my opinion is the weakest position in this draft.

I'm loving The TE position even though only 1 or 2 will go in the first round. Everyone who follows the draft knows about Vernon Davis, Leonard Pope, Byrd, Mercedes etc.... I really like T.J. Williams, David Thomas and Corey Roberts.

The reason that I like the first day TE's in this draft is because alot of them can block. These are not one dimensional guys.

Two sleeper players, I am already on. Parys Haralson DE/LB tweener and Roman Harper S from Alabama.... Harper is a bad ***. He's got Rodney Harrison skills.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Ham, what's with the hate for Leinart?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable

Ham, what's with the hate for Leinart?
    Hate?

UT, I'm ranking him 7th Overall in the entire draft ... we should all be hated to that extent

Hall Of Fame

Sounds like a Bellichick philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe
    We really should trade down. With that type of talent, we should be able to pick up a 2nd rounder plus(+), as well as trade Abe for a 1st rounder.

We really should end up with four--YES (4)-- players out of the first two rounds. Even if that means not picking the next potentially great franchise QB or the slightly higher rated (?) OT to select the big NT the next best OG/OT, a first round quality OG/OT and another starting caliber player (you choose the position); all in rounds 1 & 2.

We have soooo many wholes and needs, one great player is going to get hurt and discouraged, losing all confidence and affectiveness, particularly if it is a QB or RB. We need to build a team this year. Next year we go shopping for toys, this year we want building blocks (with an attitude).
    Agreed, sounds like something Bill Bellichick would do.

Hall Of Fame

If you rate a prospect DE

If you rate a prospect DE that high at #2 then we should get some value for John Abraham. No?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    If you rate a prospect DE that high at #2 then we should get some value for John Abraham. No?
    Hard to say where The Jets are going to go on the defensive side of the ball in this draft.

Start looking at the players who can swing to different positions. Mario Williams is a freak of nature. He can play DE, DT and OLB as an edge rusher at 280 plus.

The two LSU d-lineman are interesting because they have 3-4 and 4-3 capability in Kyle Williams and Claude Wrotten.They could be considered later on in the draft.

All League
    WTF !? Why isn't Cutler #1 over Bush ? He's only the best QB prospect since Elway. I mean, look at the tremendous individual and team success he had at Vandy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan

Start looking at the players who can swing to different positions. Mario Williams is a freak of nature. He can play DE, DT and OLB as an edge rusher at 280 plus.
    YJF, Super Mario weighed in at a rock solid 295

All Pro
    Actually Ham,I think you should rank Leinart right after Cutler.The guy's done nothing but produce,and even thou I like Cutler better,I would still take Leinart if Cutler was gone and Matt was there.Here's how i rate my QBs.

Cutler
    Leinart
    Whitehurst
    Young
    Croyle
    Gradowski
    Jacobs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar

Here's how i rate my QBs.

Cutler
    Leinart
    Whitehurst
    Young
    LOL!!!!!!!!

The Youngites are gonna love that

TMahoney
    I was in fact a Youngite until I found out he's illiterate.

Can't have a dumb quarterback in the NFL.

Anyways, the more I think about this draft, with Youngs probable drop out of the top 20, we're in some trouble. Leinart, Bush and now D'Brickashaw are now the top 3.

Maybe its time to take a serious look at AJ Hawk. The guy is versatile, has shown to be extremely productive and is a freakish athlete at the LB position.

We'll need an edge rusher when Abraham gets traded and Hawk would definately fit the bill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler

I was in fact a Youngite until I found out he's illiterate.

Can't have a dumb quarterback in the NFL.

Anyways, the more I think about this draft, with Youngs probable drop out of the top 20, we're in some trouble. Leinart, Bush and now D'Brickashaw are now the top 3.

Maybe its time to take a serious look at AJ Hawk. The guy is versatile, has shown to be extremely productive and is a freakish athlete at the LB position.

We'll need an edge rusher when Abraham gets traded and Hawk would definately fit the bill.
    CS, If you wanna replace Abe with an edge rusher, you have to opt for Mario Williams ... 295 Pound edge rushers are a rare breed ... very rare and extremely desirable

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    CS, If you wanna replace Abe with an edge rusher, you have to opt for Mario Williams ... 295 Pound edge rushers are a rare breed ... very rare and extremely desirable
    I hear ya man, but strictly on college production, Hawk is definately the better prospect. AJ Hawk is also no slouch athletically, the guy is fast and can punish offensive players.

Mario has a lot of potential but AJ is NFL ready.

All League
    Ham, I really love the idea of drafting D'Qwell Jackson at #35...he's the most underrated of the top LB prospects, I've seen him play and he's very similar to VIlma...strength, speed and good intelligence plus he's super aggresive which might be is only downfall tends to over pursue sometimes...

I"ve been leaning towards drafting TE Pope, jean-gilles/ spencer/ mangold, or d'qwell jackson with that pick...all of them would be instant staters and a great fit...

All Pro
    Love the list Ham,

But Im starting to think Lendale White is being ranked WAY too highly among people.

Looking at his body and size, he reminds me of Larry Johnson. But when I watch him run, he doesnt remind me of him at all. Being that Larry Johnson was drafted so low, and trend that most power runners have MANY injuries(Bettis, Dillon, Jamal Lewis, etc)....I dont see why you have him over Leinart, and maybe even Huff, as a prospect. Especially when one could bring up all types of question marks like him playing at 250(yet weighing 230 now), that amazing Offensive line, and his tackle breaking ability(Which I have not seen much of).

Two things I also want to consider: I have heard he looked "Fat" at the combine with high body fat. Now if he doesnt put up 25-30 reps(As another RB already has) will you still consider him a power back, or just a insider runner?

Also, Lets say his playing weight is in the high 240's(it was 250 in the rose bowl), doesnt that bring up motivation issues, and the fact that if he runs a 4.6 at his pro day(at 230), then 10-15 pounds heavier his numbers will be alot slower?

What a Cutlerphile! Get his jock off your face! He's the next Bubby Brister!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    LOL!!!!!!!!

The Youngites are gonna love that