Thread: Jets trading up to #1 Overall?

Banned

Jets trading up to #1 Overall?

Texans GM {Charley Casserly} has publicly CONFIRMED rumors and admitted the Texans are listening to offers and are open to trading down ... as of this moment they are actively shopping the pick

Several rumors have the Jets in the mix, perhaps offering John Abraham for a swap of 1st RD Picks

Most of these rumors assume the Jets are dealing up for a QB, but I disagree ... IMO it's a smokescreen ... if the Jets trade up to #1 Overall I am fairly certain they are trading up for REGGIE BUSH

As for the Texans, rumor has it they have reversed course because they love Brick Ferguson, he fills a massive need, and they believe they can trade down a few spots, ADD A BIGTIME PLAYER {or more picks}, and still secure the franchise LT ... #4 is likely the cutoff point to secure Brick, and word has it they really like John Abe

If I'm Tanny I want the Texans to throw in super-fast WR Jerome Mathis ... I can't let them have Abe {and Brick} for just Reggie Bush ... Gotta throw in Mathis just to make it fair ... or maybe OLB Antwan Peek?

Texas acquire John Abraham and the #4 Overall Pick {Brick Ferguson}

Jets acquire Jerome Mathis {or Peek} and the #1 Overall Pick {Reggie Bush}

I'd make that deal
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 02-27-2006 at 07:17 AM.

All League
    i would do it only if it doesnt cost us the house....and i hope if the jets do this it is for reggie and not lienart...

Rookie
    Ham......here's a link on how the Saints new head coach loves Cutler and may take him at #2.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9269708

It looks if the Jets stay at #4, Young and D'Brick will be available, since Chow would covet Leinart at #3. But, I've heard Tenn. may resign (restructure) McNair, if they do, D'Brick could be a strong option at #3, since Hopkins is very old, Matt L. could fall to #4.

Alot of possibilities....we will know more by this Friday at 4 P.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Texans GM {Charley Casserly} has publicly CONFIRMED rumors and admitted the Texans are listening to offers and are open to trading down ... as of this moment they are actively shopping the pick

Several rumors have the Jets in the mix, perhaps offering John Abraham for a swap of 1st RD Picks

Most of these rumors assume the Jets are dealing up for a QB, but I disagree ... IMO it's a smokescreen ... if the Jets trade up to #1 Overall I am fairly certain they are trading up for REGGIE BUSH

As for the Texans, rumor has it they have reversed course because they love Brick Ferguson, he fills a massive need, and they believe they can trade down a few spots, ADD A BIGTIME PLAYER {or more picks}, and still secure the franchise LT ... #4 is likely the cutoff point to secure Brick, and word has it they really like John Abe

If I'm Tanny I want the Texans to throw in super-fast WR Jerome Mathis ... I can't let them have Abe {and Brick} for just Reggie Bush ... Gotta throw in Mathis just to make it fair ... or maybe OLB Antwan Peek?

Texas acquire John Abraham and the #4 Overall Pick {Brick Ferguson}

Jets acquire Jerome Mathis {or Peek} and the #1 Overall Pick {Reggie Bush}

I'd make that deal
    are you serious, that would be an AWFUL deal, Houston gets a pro-bowl DE AND LT, and we get Bush, we may not even be able to carry the ball 25 times a game!

Just stay put at 4, take Brick or Leinart or Cutler if he drops and get what you can for Abe

Practice Squad
    If we trade for the #1 pick it better be bush, he is the hands down consensus can't pass up #1 pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    i agree Leinart is a smoke screen but it could be a move for Cutler as well. if the Jets get #1 it will be for Bush or Cutler. we will know more by friday when the Chad situation either gets resolved or he gets cut.

All Pro
    Guys, I know there is a lot of love for Jay Cutler on this board, but I REALLY, honestly do not understand this position that the Jets COULD trade up in the draft to secure him.

I'm sorry, but I really think this would be a bad move. Sticking at number 4 would assure a QB if they want one, or Ferguson. With trading Abe, they could draft Mario Williams to replace Abe then with Abe's pick look at either QB or line help.

I just think trading up to the number one for Cutler is putting all the eggs in one basket. Look what happened when we put $64 million eggs in the Pennington basket? We forgot to label it "handle with care."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve
    I just think trading up to the number one for Cutler is putting all the eggs in one basket. Look what happened when we put $64 million eggs in the Pennington basket? We forgot to label it "handle with care."

it's risky but the team can't go through life scared. What are they supposed to do not get a QB because they are all expensive?

All Pro
    I said this in another thread on the general board but I think it bears repeating here.

If the Jets sit tight, they can expect at least one of Bush, Leinart, Ferguson, Cutler, with Young, Williams and Hawk thrown in for good measure. At this point there is no way they believe that one and only one of these guys is important enough to the franchise to trade what it would take to move up. I won't believe that until three days after it happens if it does.

The ONLY way I see them trading up is to be part of a three-way deal where there is another team desperate to trade up to #1. If the Jets can get more for Abraham by using him to trade to #1 and then trading that pick to move back down than they can by trading Abraham straight up, then this could be an interesting move.

Let's say a team between 5-10 wants to move up and is willing to offer their first, third and fourth rounders and next years first round pick. Houston might feel it's not worth it. Since San Diego got those picks from the Giants at #4 last year (and I've previously said that trade is going to hinder similar trades in the future because it was too rich). Now let's say Houston finds the abovementioned trade with the Jets move acceptable.

The Jets could then parlay their #4 and Abraham into another top ten pick, a third, a fourth and a next year's first...or something like that. This is nothing but speculation right now, but if the Jets trade up to #1, I would think this is the only reason why. At least I sure hope so.

-Dan

All Pro
    Ham, That deal would be terrific value for us.

The chargers got a future first, 5th, and current third for the exchange.

That would be amazing value for John Abraham, so

We would likely have to give more including draft picks.

Any site I have looked at projects the Jets to give up John Abraham and a slew of picks as well.