Thread: OK, if we take a QB in the first, what do we do in the 2nd

JetsInsider.com Legend

OK, if we take a QB in the first, what do we do in the 2nd

Since the flavor of the week apparently is that we're trading up for either Leinart or Cutler and looking to take a QB in the first round, attention has to be brought upon the 2nd round.

For one, this is a very good year to address the RB position in the early 2nd round. Teams that are in need of a RB this year have their choice on March 3rd from the best RB class in the history of NFL free agency. They've got players like Edgerinn James, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander, Ahman Green, Chester Taylor, and Najeh Davenport. 4 of whom have made the pro bowl, and all who are capable of either starting or sharing a full load with another back in the opinion of this poster. Also, you've got TJ Duckett, who the Falcons have made clear that he's on the trading block.

That's 6 running backs available who are have the ability to carry a majority of the load for a team (that of course is on the assumption that Duckett CAN handle that responsibility, which I think he can in a different offense).

Now, lets list the teams who will primarily be in the market for a running back. Arizona will not be included on this list as Green has made it clear they're not pursuing a big name free agent and also has endorsed JJ Arrington.

Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indy, Seattle, San Fran, and possibly New England are the teams who have a primary concern for their future at the RB position. That's 7 teams with a PRIMARY concern for their future backfield.

Add onto that the fact that there's 3 RB's capable of being first round draft picks this year besides Bush; White, Maroney, and Williams.

That's a total of 11 running backs available capable of being starters, available to 7 teams who need to address running back. Make it 11 if you believe Brian Calhoun can be a starter in this league, and make it 12 if you believe the same about Joseph Addai.

My point is, if we choose a QB in the 1st, there's going to be someone who drops to us in the early 2nd with 1st round talent, strictly because some of these teams are bound to address the RB position through free agency, or in Duckett's case, a trade.

Though I have given constant endorsements of taking Croyle in the 2nd, this of course would become moot if we took a QB in the first. And though I believe we need to build that o-line, I believe that a RB with pro bowl potential will fall to us in the early 2nd, thus if the QB situation is already addressed, it'd be silly not to solidify the backfield if a blue chip prospect fell to us, which by simple deduction of teams in need of a RB, enough free agents will be signed by teams with primary concerns at RB for this to happen in the draft.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 02-27-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I think there's also some other factors to consider in this too. Such as, do we end up with another first round pick from Abe? If so, then I think it would be great to take a RB at either that pick or the 2nd rounder. However, if we're talking about just the picks we currently own, I wouldn't do it. If you're going QB in round one then I think you just have to address the OL in round 2. I think it would be a mistake to wait until the 3rd round before addressing the offensive line. The only way I would see any differently is if the Jets did a very good job of building the OL through some younger guys in free agency.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green
    I think there's also some other factors to consider in this too. Such as, do we end up with another first round pick from Abe? If so, then I think it would be great to take a RB at either that pick or the 2nd rounder. However, if we're talking about just the picks we currently own, I wouldn't do it. If you're going QB in round one then I think you just have to address the OL in round 2. I think it would be a mistake to wait until the 3rd round before addressing the offensive line. The only way I would see any differently is if the Jets did a very good job of building the OL through some younger guys in free agency.
    I'd have to say I feel the same way somewhat. However, if a prospect like Maroney, or even Joseph Addai falls to us, (I'm seriously impressed after his combine performance), it's too hard to pass up on. I think you take the blue chip RB, have him share the load with Houston and study under CuMart, and basically groom him for the future. We solidify the future of our backfield and also our QB in one shot.

If another first rounder is aquired for Abe, I'd take whichever BAP is available between tackle or running back, and just take the positiont that you didn't draft in round 2. Thus, we wind up going OT/RB or RB/OT with our 2nd two picks, both of which are before the mid-2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets met with Calhoun at the combine.

And I've said it before - Addai is a super-quick and deceptively powerful back that I have seen play for a few years while living in Louisiana. He can make the corner or go between the tackles, and can catch passes on the swing.

He played at a great school, against pro competition, in HUGE games, including a national-chamionship bowl, where he was brilliant.

I never understood why he didn't get more press, to be honest.

He'd be my choice.
    Last edited by Darth Vader; 02-27-2006 at 04:14 PM.

All League
    Maurice Drew is a guy who could slip to round 3.
    If so, he'd be nice pick...

All League
    Based on the new regime's tendencies and the way the boards are shaping up right now, I think we're likely to go NT, LB, or CB with the #35.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    The reason I wouldn't mind taking Maroney or Calhoun is that we already have a very good inside runner in Cedric Houston. They could be a change of pace back for their first year or two and develop their inside game while Houston takes care of the in-between-the-tackles work.

It'd basically be our own version of the Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell tandem.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    Maurice Drew is a guy who could slip to round 3.
    If so, he'd be nice pick...
    really? he would be a nice pick in round 3!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    I sure hope this was before he hung a Clarettesque 4.65 on the board.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    The reason I wouldn't mind taking Maroney or Calhoun is that we already have a very good inside runner in Cedric Houston. They could be a change of pace back for their first year or two and develop their inside game while Houston takes care of the in-between-the-tackles work.

It'd basically be our own version of the Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell tandem.
    yeah with a good QB, would wouldn't need anything more than a competant RB. Shore up the line, and proceed with competence and effficiency.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

We absolutely, positively would need to go with an offensive lineman if we took a QB in the 1st. We just don't have the cap room to pick up any good free agents and we need a starting RT (or LT if Jones is moved back to RT). And if Kendall's not back, we'll need a RG as well. The chances of picking up a lineman with a 3rd round or later pick who is able to step in and start on day 1 isn't good.

If we take a QB in round 1 Id have to think long and hard about using a pick on a RB early in round 2. Depends on who is available that can play line at that point. If there is a run on RBs in round 1 there will be some good talent waiting for us to play line in round 2. If there is a run on lineman in round 1 then I might change my mind and take the RB.

I just think our team has so many holes right now that taking a RB is somewhat pointless. They typically have a short shelf life and is it really worth wasting 2 years of what could be a 6 year "peak" career on a team that is a 6 win team? I think it would be in our best interests to build our offense up starting with either a QB or OT in rounds 1 and 2 this year and then build the line up in the draft. RBs are so easy to find it seems that we should have no problem getting one when/if the team is actually ready to compete in 2008.

Hall Of Fame
    O-line is a must, as a matter of fact I hate the fact that the Jets seem to be in the panic mode of 'we must draft a Qb this year'. The Jets O-line is in a shambles right now and it's even more shambly than the it was last year. There are not alot of top free agent OL running around so if we don't draft them it won;t matter who are Qb or Rb is they will get the crap kicked out of them.

Practice Squad
    Bap Period!

Hall Of Fame

Offensive Tackle without doubt

here's the rankings of OT, whoever is left at #35 is who we need to pick

1. D'Brickshaw Ferguson Virginia
    2. Marcus McNeill Auburn
    3. Eric Winston Miami
    4. Winston Justice Southern California
    5. Jon Scott Texas
    6. Andrew Whitworth LSU
    7. Daryn Colledge Boise State
    8. Jeremy Trueblood Boston College
    9. Ryan O'Callaghan California
    10. Joe Toledo Washington

Practice Squad
    LB or OT

All Pro
    Last year was the year of the CB, but where was the value?

Round two.

This year seems to be the year of the Olineman, so where is the value?

Round two.

Probably not as much with Tackles, but we could get an Elite Guard in round 2. Or a good value of tackle in round 2, and good guard in round 3.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Last year was the year of the CB, but where was the value?

Round two.

This year seems to be the year of the Olineman, so where is the value?

Round two.

Probably not as much with Tackles, but we could get an Elite Guard in round 2. Or a good value of tackle in round 2, and good guard in round 3.
    It looks like Pennington is comming back; that being the case I would build a fortress around him. Anything left over, and you pick defensive needs.