Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jets WAIVE/CUT S Oliver Celestin. . . ~ ~ ~ (merged)

Hall Of Fame

Arrow jets WAIVE/CUT . . . ~ ~ ~

Jets Waive S Celestin

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/

The New York Jets announced today that safety Oliver Celestin was waived. The announcement was made by General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Celestin, 25, concluded his second season with the Jets in 2005. The product of Texas Southern University was signed by the Jets on November 9, 2004 off of the Minnesota Vikings’ practice squad. The former undrafted rookie free agent signee of the Cleveland Browns in 2003 gained a foothold in professional football by playing in NFL Europe for the Berlin Thunder in 2004 and then signed as a free agent with the Vikings before being waived and signing to their practice squad in 2004.

With the Jets (2004-2005), Celestin played in 20 regular season games and recorded 31 tackles and one pass defensed on defense, including a career-high 26 tackles in 2005. On special teams, the New Orleans native added 16 special teams tackles, as well as one forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. Celestin also appeared in both of the Jets’ postseason games, playing primarily on special teams, in their 2004 postseason run.

~ ~ ~ ALL is LOST . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    We have alot of safeties on the roster. Maddox, Rhodes, Washington, Coleman. Celestin was expendable.

Veteran
    He can hit/tackle well. as far as i saw...

All League
    i don't like waiving him so early, you know atleast one of our safeties is gonna be injured and I was a fan of celstin...

Veteran

Red face

i fell in love with celestin after that scrimmage against the giants this summer when he and vilma kicked shockeys ***. i thought he was developing into a player

Hall Of Fame
    I always thought Oliver Celestin was white the whole offseason last year.

That is my lasting memory of the Celestin era.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I thought he was a good depth player. Just goes to show you that this new Tannengini regime has no ties to the players from previous years.

Good luck Celestin.

Hall Of Fame

He was well liked

He was well liked because his family lost their house in hurricane Katrina last fall.
    The jets took up a collection to get his family flown up here etc.

I was hoping he would make it. Good luck Oliver.

Rookie
    I don't understand this move....

Celestin was cheap and he brings the wood. Maddox needs to step it up and stay healthy....could be a Maddox/Rhodes combo as I think Erik Coleman is overrated. Washington could surprise too, but I don't expect it.

Hall Of Fame
    Means More Love For Muh Boy Dre

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    We have alot of safeties on the roster. Maddox, Rhodes, Washington, Coleman. Celestin was expendable.
    I liked him alot. Awesome hitter and good, solid tackler. I hope Maddox pans out because someone is going to pick up Celestin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    He can hit/tackle well. as far as i saw...

Agreed. He was solid player for us.

Veteran
    Wish we would've kept him - but being as impressed with Coleman/Rhodes as I am, someone probably had to go sometime.

I don't like Celestin gone and Maddox staying though. I'm not optimistic about a second year player with no experience who already has an injury history.

Sad in a way too - we help Celestin's family out after Katrina, year later he's cut from the team. Tough break.

All League
    This move makes little to no sense. If we are rebuilding (using more young players than old retreads) what did this move do for us? His cap # had to be minimal, he wasn't cut to save the salary cap.

I have serious question with a couple of the moves made recently. Sowell as well. Was he cut because he asked for more money?

We have guys like Kendall who will count almost 5M this year and next still on the roster, Barton is on the wrong side of the age curve, and would save money. I am not a fan of cutting a 25 YO player that doesn't cost much unless he is beaten out of a job in preseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola
    This move makes little to no sense. If we are rebuilding (using more young players than old retreads) what did this move do for us? His cap # had to be minimal, he wasn't cut to save the salary cap.

I have serious question with a couple of the moves made recently. Sowell as well. Was he cut because he asked for more money?

We have guys like Kendall who will count almost 5M this year and next still on the roster, Barton is on the wrong side of the age curve, and would save money. I am not a fan of cutting a 25 YO player that doesn't cost much unless he is beaten out of a job in preseason.

we have alot more depth in teh safety position than OL

All League

Celestin Cut

Celestin Waived

This disappoints me. I liked this guy for his big hard hits and his tough look. I would have thought that he wouldn't even be considered cutting.

Veteran
    i liked him too, a good special teams guy also. but i guess the thinking here is bradway drafter a sh*tload of safties in recent years so he was expendable

Rookie
    wow, didnt see this one coming. I liked this guy too. I remember he had some BIG hits in some games.

All League
    Damn, this kid could BALL. He was a gamer no doubt about it. He seemed like he always worked his *** off whenever he was in. His cap number couldn't be that damn high could it? O well, I guess he doesn't fit the Mangini scheme. best of luck to Cele.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Remember a few things folks:

--This could be a cap-related cost savings move only.

--He could be resigned by the Jets anytime down the road.

--If memory serves, he's been cut by the Jets at least once before, and then resigned.

--He's a JAG backup for crying out loud.

I sure hope we're not going to get this kind of reaction at EVERY move the new regime makes, or it could be one long drama-filled offseason round here.

Do we not give our new regime the benifit of the doubt this offseason, and trust in their combined judgements till we see what they put on the field?