Thread: home networking...

Hall Of Fame

home networking...

i have a router in my office and a wireless card in my laptop and second PC

what I want is to have a wireless device to connect my tv, dvr and ps2 to in my family room

what do I need to do this?

is this a wireless router that i need or what?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    i have a router in my office and a wireless card in my laptop and second PC

what I want is to have a wireless device to connect my tv, dvr and ps2 to in my family room

what do I need to do this?

is this a wireless router that i need or what?

thanks
    If you want to watch your tv, dvr on your computer, you need slingmedia. Goto slingmedia.com for more info.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by redvfr02
    If you want to watch your tv, dvr on your computer, you need slingmedia. Goto slingmedia.com for more info.

do you have sling? i heard about that, sounds great and is reasonably priced too but tahts not what I'm talking about, I just need to know how to connect those devices taht are next to each other to teh net

Hall Of Fame

I don't understand the question

I understand :

1.you have a wireless router and your laptop get the internet via a wireless LAN adapter/card. okay

2.Same thing with your desktop PC.

Now if you want TV you need a TV card in your PC which needs to be connected to cable; or you can get Internet TV which is much lower quality.

Most TV cards come with digital personal recorders and save to hard drive.
    If you hook up TV to Plasma or LCD monitor then you also need a wireless keyboard and mouse so you can sit in your easy chair.

Give me more details.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    I understand :

1.you have a wireless router and your laptop get the internet via a wireless LAN adapter/card. okay

2.Same thing with your desktop PC.

Now if you want TV you need a TV card in your PC which needs to be connected to cable; or you can get Internet TV which is much lower quality.

Most TV cards come with digital personal recorders and save to hard drive.
    If you hook up TV to Plasma or LCD monitor then you also need a wireless keyboard and mouse so you can sit in your easy chair.

Give me more details.
    guess i'm not being clear...

my tv, dvr and playstation are in my family room and all can be connected to the net...the TV has a web browser, the dvr can update programming and the ps2 for online gameplay

what device do i need to connect these three things to my wireless signal floating around my home?

Hall Of Fame

When you say TV

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    guess i'm not being clear...

my tv, dvr and playstation are in my family room and all can be connected to the net...the TV has a web browser, the dvr can update programming and the ps2 for online gameplay

what device do i need to connect these three things to my wireless signal floating around my home?
    Okay let's keep it simple. When you say TV what do you mean.
    Normal TVs don't connect to the net. Computers can have analog or digital
    PCI cards that allow all kinds of TV recording etc.

Anyway, You still need any adapter that goes from wireless (reciever/transmitter) to A USB (typical) or Ethernet Cat 5 cable. Once you connect the device up you normally install software before you install hardware.

Now I don't have play station or whatever, so i might be missing something here.

Hall Of Fame

Ps2

Play station is your computer in this case. The play station interfaces with the TV for the monitor (a TV makes a very poor monitor).The Playstation connects to cable TV connection. And you get your internet from that connection.

Question is can the PS2 connect to a wireess adapter and get data from your router. I never hear of that but maybe.

You could of done it differnetly. Put a PC with a HDTV PCI card in the family room and from the PC go to an LCD monitor or Plasma monitor. Use wireless keyboard and mouse. Now you have a system.

Sorry dude.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by redvfr02
    Beware! A standard firewall may block the ports used by Slingbox. I considered picking up one for my house so I can connect from work. After a little research before I bought it, it turns out my Network Admins block the ports used by Sling.

Honestly though, Id give it a shot. It does not require any activation or monthly service, therefore 0 committments. Which means you can always return it if it doesn't work (*cough* Rental *cough*)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Question is can the PS2 connect to a wireess adapter and get data from your router. I never hear of that but maybe.
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

The Wireless-G Game Adapter gives any wired Ethernet-equipped game console wireless connection capabilities. The Game Adapter can be used in two different ways. If you have an existing home wireless network and a cable or DSL Internet connection, the Game Adapter lets your PlayStation®2, Xbox™ or GameCube™ attach to the network so you can get into online games without running wires to the game room. Or, use a pair of Game Adapters to form a "cable-less cable" between two game consoles for head-to-head gaming -- in the same room, or all the way across the house.
    It's completely driver-free, so it works on any platform. Since there's no drivers to load, setup is a snap. In some cases, it works right out of the box! If your setup's a little different -- just configure the network settings through your PC's web browser, plug it into your game box, and go.

The Wireless-G Game Adapter provides lag-free gaming with communication speeds up to 54Mbps when connected to other Wireless-G devices. It can also connect to Wireless-B (802.11b) devices and networks at 11Mbps.

Spend your time gaming, not stringing wires, with the Linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter.

Heres some Froogle Links :

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...4g&sa=N&tab=wf
    Last edited by LIDeadHead; 02-28-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    1. TV uses web browser? is it the microsoft webtv or whatever they call it?

2. DVR and PS2 would both need wireless adapters which i dont know if they are available.

my xbox360 has a wireless adapter which cost me 100 bucks and it connects to xbox live wireless.

bottom line anything u want to connect to your wireless router will need to have built in wireless (like a laptop does) or will need a sold separatly wireless adapter which MAY or MAY NOT be available for PS2 and DVR.

All League
    It seems everyone is confusing you.

Go here:

Linksys Entertainment Wireless

I believe this is all you are looking for.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant

Go here:

I'VE NEVER ASKED WHAT i thought was a simple question and gotten so many different answers.....

I appreciate them all but, damn I still cant see what the confusion is

let me restate for the third time, what device do i need to connect a device wirelessly? Does everyone that uses a PS2 have it wired to their router?

cant i use a wireless router and connect it to one of teh ports?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant

Go here:

thanks

Hall Of Fame

thanks, I'm not a Playstation guy

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

The Wireless-G Game Adapter gives any wired Ethernet-equipped game console wireless connection capabilities. The Game Adapter can be used in two different ways. If you have an existing home wireless network and a cable or DSL Internet connection, the Game Adapter lets your PlayStation®2, Xbox™ or GameCube™ attach to the network so you can get into online games without running wires to the game room. Or, use a pair of Game Adapters to form a "cable-less cable" between two game consoles for head-to-head gaming -- in the same room, or all the way across the house.
    It's completely driver-free, so it works on any platform. Since there's no drivers to load, setup is a snap. In some cases, it works right out of the box! If your setup's a little different -- just configure the network settings through your PC's web browser, plug it into your game box, and go.

The Wireless-G Game Adapter provides lag-free gaming with communication speeds up to 54Mbps when connected to other Wireless-G devices. It can also connect to Wireless-B (802.11b) devices and networks at 11Mbps.

Spend your time gaming, not stringing wires, with the Linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter.

Heres some Froogle Links :

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...4g&sa=N&tab=wf
    thanks, I'm not a Playstation guy and I learnt something about it here. A regular PC has so many more benefits but is a little more expensive. I have Pcs in five rooms of my house and two have TV cards. You can record to the hard drive; and as far as games go with a gamer video card you can do it all.
    When meanBro first mentioned PS2 I thought he meant the mouse and keyboard connection type. I just wasn't thinking along those lines . The playstation is really a cheap PC with setup for gammers. And there's nothing wrong with going that way but it's something I never dabbled in.