Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets being frugal with picks, only offer 7th for Ramsey.

All Pro

Jets being frugal with picks, only offer 7th for Ramsey.

The Jets have offered a seventh-round pick for Ramsey, and they're probably willing to sweeten the proposal. Some industry sources believe they'll eventually wind up with Ramsey.
    From the post I believe, theres about 7 articles Here

I love having a FO thats stingy with draft picks.

Thats a major change from Bradway. Terry would have offerred a 3rd or 4th right off the bat. Smart move by the Jets. Ramsey doesnt want to be in Washington and they dont want him, so why start out giving them a 5th in an offer. The Jets are going to try to get his done with a 6th round draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    From the post I believe, theres about 7 articles Here

I love having a FO thats stingy with draft picks.
    Good to hear.

All League
    That is good to hear unless another team (Miami) jumps in and gets him for a 5th. Miami could put the Jets into a desperate position by getting Ramsey and then cutting him at last cuts in preseason. That way the Jets have another QB in place - probably by overpaying or giving up too much in the draft to get one.

Lets not be cute, just get the guy if he is the one you want. What the heck is the difference between a #5 and a #7 anyway?

If we wait until he is cut, then we run the risk of a contract that may not be as cap friendly (he would be penciled in as a starter) or we run the risk of other teams driving his price up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola
    Lets not be cute, just get the guy if he is the one you want. What the heck is the difference between a #5 and a #7 anyway?
    Two years ago it was the difference between Eric Coleman, and ???? --Exactly.

Last year it was the difference between Andre Maddux and Harry Williams, and note with releasing Celestin Andre will play a significant amount, and possibly be the opening day starter at SS.

This year, the value in the fifth will be even better.

But this may not be about wanting to get Ramsey, you may look at it as Ramsey being nothing but a backup here--they may not think of him as the starter.
    Last edited by KR; 03-12-2006 at 02:16 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola
    That is good to hear unless another team (Miami) jumps in and gets him for a 5th. Miami could put the Jets into a desperate position by getting Ramsey and then cutting him at last cuts in preseason. That way the Jets have another QB in place - probably by overpaying or giving up too much in the draft to get one.

If we wait until he is cut, then we run the risk of a contract that may not be as cap friendly (he would be penciled in as a starter) or we run the risk of other teams driving his price up.
    He is not a necessity. There are other similarly talented options around so we have the opportunity to be cute. I also doubt the fish are looking at him as they are seriously in the Brees and Culpepper sweepstakes. Although I am not crazy about Rosenfels or whatever his name is or Ferotte, they are easily in the same ballpark as Ramsey if the fish somehow trade for him from Washington. One of the aforementioned QB's will be released along with the dozen or so other options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    Two years ago it was the difference between Eric Coleman, and ???? --Exactly.

Last year it was the difference between Andre Maddux and Harry Williams, and note with releasing Celestin Andre will play a significant amount, and possibly be the opening day starter at SS.

This year, the value in the fifth will be even better.

But this may not be about wanting to get Ramsey, you may look at it as Ramsey being nothing but a backup here--they may not think of him as the starter.

Back up Ramsey or Greise? Exactly.....7th round pick or nothing~

Veteran
    Ramsey is backup material or a stop gap! No need to panic and give it too much. If he ends up somewhere else, so be it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Fair offer. Ramsey hasn't played well enough to be worth much more than that, maybe a 6th.

All Pro
    I hope BB gives a 6th for him. Even if he leaves next year as a free agent we will get the 6th back as compensation.

JetsInsider.com Legend

I agree

giving up more than a 6th, we may as well just draft a QB in the 5th round and take our chances.

All League
    It's going to be interesting who is the first signing and what he cost. I guess our FO doesn't agree with "You get what you paid for".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Just the fact that we're looking at "backups", (i.e. Kitna, Sage R, and Ramsey), makes it more apparent we're getting a qb in the draft

Practice Squad
    just read somewhere Rosenfels is going to the Texans. not that that's a big deal but our choices have gotten slimmer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    we need a franchise qb if we're ever going to do anything. Pennington could be that guy if he can lift his arms over his head. poor guy

All League
    What I am referring to is the fact that Chad will not be ready to start come preseason. New offense and everything else put into the equation, this FO would be as stupid as the last one if they are counting on Chad being ready to lead the Jets in '06. Griese is an option, but I don't know what his contract demand would be like. Griese has been around the league for a while and I dont think its a reach to say that we have seen him peak and now he is on his decline. The same can not be said for Ramsey. He is still significantly younger than some of the other options and despite reports out of Washington, never had an opportunity to lead the Redskins after Spurrier left.

With NO going after Brees, it still doesn't change their thinking at #2 from what I am hearing. They will still go after Leinart. So with that in mind, if we are drafting a QB, it will be Cutler or Young. I am not a fan of using anything in the first round on a QB not named Leinart.

This FO needs to start thinking about who the starting Qb is going to be. The last thing they need is to lose any leverage they might have now (as far as the draft is concerned) by being forced to settle for whatever QB is available to us at #4. I think Cincy had the same misfortune and they "grabbed" Akili Smith.

As far as everyone saying that the difference between a 5 and a 7 is huge I will disagree again. For every Coleman comment you give, I can give 100 more that back up my claim.

If Ramsey can be depended on starting than give up the pick. If he is nothing more than a backup than don't give up anything - we don't need a backup. We need a starter. Period. This is especially in the case of taking Cutler in the first. Cutler is not starting this Sept. We need someone to come in who has the experience of getting his head caved in while the clipboard boy watches and learns.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Some of you people don't seem have a friggin clue. Fine, lets let Ramsey, Sage, McCown and evey other available young QB with potential get away, while we look at players like Can't Win Kitna and Kerry the Wonder Drunk Collins.

I guess for some of you it's Leinart/Young/Cutler the Wonder Bust or nothing, eh? Is that really as deep as you can look? Oh right, if Joe Friggin Gibbs says something, it MUST be right.

So enjoy your Chad the Noodle, Collins and Cutler the Bust QB lineup. Because it THAt is what we end up with, we are ALL In for some more worthless painful seasons down the road.

Bah, I'm done with this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I still think we'll end up with Ramsey. Probably for a 5th or 6th round pick. Ramsey is a guy that can come in and compete with Chad for the starting job. People who say this would be a bad trade are nuts, what QB on the market (other than Brees and Culpepper) are as good or better than Ramsey?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish
    Some of you people don't seem have a friggin clue. Fine, lets let Ramsey, Sage, McCown and evey other available young QB with potential get away, while we look at players like Can't Win Kitna and Kerry the Wonder Drunk Collins.

I guess for some of you it's Leinart/Young/Cutler the Wonder Bust or nothing, eh? Is that really as deep as you can look? Oh right, if Joe Friggin Gibbs says something, it MUST be right.

So enjoy your Chad the Noodle, Collins and Cutler the Bust QB lineup. Because it THAt is what we end up with, we are ALL In for some more worthless painful seasons down the road.

Bah, I'm done with this.
    So you're banking on Ramsey to actually be the starter and be effective at some point?

Look, I read your essay extolling Ramsey's virtues and I agreed with them all - but I'm also not going to get pissed if he's not in green next year. It's a good solid idea but it's not a major key to success necessarily. It is not a move so important that we are doomed if we miss it.

Rookie
    Key is that the Jets have all of the leverage in the Ramsey situation. They've already agreed to terms with Ramsey (Per Mike and Mike), and if the Redskins release him, they'd likely be first in line to sign him with the contract already worked out. At the same time, they've got ample time to check out Kitna.

The Redskins are tight against the cap (and I still can't figure out how they signed all of these players), and they need to release Ramsey to gain more flexibility. So a resolution is coming within a couple of days. My guess is by Tuesday, the Jets will either have signed Kitna, or they'll have received Ramsey for a 7th round pick.