Thread: is drafting a qb out of question now

is drafting a qb out of question now

the jets have ramsey and pennington fighting over the starting job now. are the jets still going to use their first on a quarterback and have 3 guys battling for the starting position, or do the jets trade down or keep their pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Jets WILL draft a QB, will it be with the #4 is the question.

Veteran
    I think there is little doubt the Jets will still draft a QB - neither Pennington nor Ramsey seem to be the long term answer. I have to agree with Ikeyman though...the question is will it be at number 4. I, for one, hope it will be at number 2 so we get Leinart

I think its out of the question the Jets draft a QB on day 1. I guess its possible, depending on comp picks and what they get for Abe they could do something in round 3, but I do think its likely they draft a QB on day 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAJet
    I think there is little doubt the Jets will still draft a QB - neither Pennington nor Ramsey seem to be the long term answer. I have to agree with Ikeyman though...the question is will it be at number 4. I, for one, hope it will be at number 2 so we get Leinart
    Leinart could drop to #4. I don't think we can afford to trade up. I think we wind up with one of Cutler, Leinart or Williams. Whoever is there at #4.

I'd e thrilled with any of those.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    I think its out of the question the Jets draft a QB on day 1. I guess its possible, depending on comp picks and what they get for Abe they could do something in round 3, but I do think its likely they draft a QB on day 2.
    Why?

Pennigton isn't in the Jets long-term plans and niether is Ramsey. Day 1 is the first three rounds, if you end up taking a QB in day two you are looking at another Brooks Bollinger. Rarely do day 2 QB's pan out.

All League
    We'll take a QB, but not with #4. We need line help first. Williams or D'Brick with the #4. A QB with the pick from Seattle or Atlanta.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Is Drafting a QB Out of the Question Now?
    It most definitely is NOT out of the question.

In fact, I would all but guarantee the Jets will select a QB in the first three rounds in 2006. I am still predicting Omar Jacobs in the 2nd, or perhaps the third.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish

In fact, I would all but guarantee the Jets will select a QB in the first three rounds in 2006. I am still predicting Omar Jacobs in the 2nd, or perhaps the third.
    OJ in the second would be a bit of a reach, you can find a guy with a First round grade at #35.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Leinart could drop to #4. I don't think we can afford to trade up. I think we wind up with one of Cutler, Leinart or Williams. Whoever is there at #4.

I'd e thrilled with any of those.

I agree with you 1000%

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Why?

Pennigton isn't in the Jets long-term plans and niether is Ramsey. Day 1 is the first three rounds, if you end up taking a QB in day two you are looking at another Brooks Bollinger. Rarely do day 2 QB's pan out.
    This is a strange QB class in that alot of people will see value on Day 2 in the QB position. Looking at rounds 2 and 3 you are probably looking at Charlie Whitehurst, Omar Jacobs, Brodie Croyle, and maybe Ingle Martin if his stock rose high enough. Other than Croyle, who I think will be looked at as a starter down the line right off the bat, I'm not sure if there is a big gap between the others and say DJ Shockley, Reggie McNeal, or Kellen Clemens, despite the fact that they will all be had well into day 2. Right now the Jets are committed to Chad Pennington and Patrick Ramsey.

Ramsey is their "evaluation" QB. Chad is their high priced china doll. There are too many important holes on the line to worry about bringing in Matt Leinart or any of the round 2 guys. The draft is pretty deep on the line this year. The Jets have to take at least a guard and a tackle. Those are needs which must be addressed in rounds 1 and 2. If they gain an extra early pick they should take a center if available. They need both depth and talent at these spots. Right now they are low in both departments. I think the team is planning for the future. If Ramsey and Chad both are awful you will have that high pick next season. That high pick could be any QB you want. Your line is place at that point so the kid doesnt get killed if he is thrown to the wolves. There will always be a vet floating around to handle the reigns if they dont want him in ASAP. To me this makes more sense for the future of the club.

Its also tough to say that day 2 QBs dont pan out. Tom Brady did. Kurt Warner was an arena leaguer. Jake Delhomme wasn't drafted anywhere. Matt Hasslebeck late in the draft. Mark Brunell was taken either in round 5 or 6. Jeff Garcia was from the CFL. Brad Johnson was taken late. Make a mistake in round 1 or 2 on a QB and its a huge failure that sets the team back. Make a mistake late in the draft and its no big deal. Right now Im not sure that there is a big gap between 1st and 2nd round picks and the later picks in the NFL for the last few seasons. The NFL is proving to be more about coaching and systems than on paper talent. Id really be shocked if we took a QB in rounds 1 or 2. Id be a bit surprised if we took one in round three, though its not out of the realm of possibility.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAJet

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish

i all meant with the #4 pick. is that out of question

Banned
    i have a feelin we're draftin dbrick n a qb in the 2nd unless leinart falls which is doubtful

Hall Of Fame

Maybe

I think they have the QBs to start the season; however, if Leinart or Cutler fall to #4 I think they will draft one of them. If not they go with DBrick at #4 and I'm speculating getting maybe getting a guy like Ingle Martin in the 5th round, if he's still available.