Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow!

Wow!

NFL | Rice not interested in becoming NFL commissioner; at least for now
    Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:25:59 -0800

The Associated Press reports secretary of state Condoleezza Rice is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner - not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully Monday, March 20. Rice is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," spokesman Sean McCormack said. The wiggle-room in his response after NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced he would retire resonated off frequent only half-joking statements by Rice that as a lifelong football fan she aspires to run the league one day. New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft seems to be in Rice's corner for the football post.

Condoleezza Rice as the comish? LMAO!!!!

If Condoleezza Rice becomes the commissioner I might have to quit watching football.
    Well not really but you get my drift.

All League
    condi as commish?...its enough to make someone a hockey fan...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshsports10

The Associated Press reports secretary of state Condoleezza Rice is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner - not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully Monday, March 20. Rice is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," spokesman Sean McCormack said. The wiggle-room in his response after NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced he would retire resonated off frequent only half-joking statements by Rice that as a lifelong football fan she aspires to run the league one day. New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft seems to be in Rice's corner for the football post.

If Condoleezza Rice becomes the commissioner I might have to quit watching football.
    Uhh..yeah...me too! Condoleeza has no business in the NFL! Stay put Condoleeza, George needs your brain.

Practice Squad
    She knows more about the NFL and how it works than probably the two most knowledgable posters on this board combined.

Too bad she is needed in Washington

All Pro
    The redskins need a GM?

All Pro
    When I first saw this thread and the last name 'Rice'....I thought you meant ' Jerry Rice'.....lol.....and he's far too busy doing 'reality' shows

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PappaSmurfNYJ
    She knows more about the NFL and how it works than probably the two most knowledgable posters on this board combined.

how is that so? Im not saying she's dumb (clearly she's not) but does she have any actual experience working in the NFL or is she simply a high powered fan?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Wrong.

She doesn't know more then me.

Practice Squad
    There was an articel that i remeber reading a while back about how it was her dream job and how she actually had decent credentials to warrant the job.

wish i had a link for you but i have no idea where i read it so take it for what its worth

JetsInsider.com Legend
    There was an articel that i remeber reading a while back about how it was her dream job and how she actually had decent credentials to warrant the job.

wish i had a link for you but i have no idea where i read it so take it for what its worth
    Here's the article:

SPORTSbyBROOKS - APRIL 17, 2002
    Condoleezza Rice's Dream Job: Commissioner

By MIKE FREEMAN

ASHINGTON -- There is a constant buzz around the sunny West Wing office of Condoleezza Rice, President Bush's national security adviser. On a recent afternoon people were scurrying in and out, trying to grab her attention, seeking her counsel. Rice welcomes yet another visitor and expresses relief that, for a few minutes at least, she will not be asked to discuss the latest world crisis. No, Rice is going to talk football, and she is ecstatic about it.

Rice, a former Stanford University provost and political scientist, is one of the president's most trusted advisers. If she were to leave government service tomorrow, there would probably be a great number of major corporations pursuing her. The football chat begins with a question about her future, and Rice responds that her dream job is on Park Avenue in New York.

She wants to be commissioner of the National Football League. She is serious.

"That's absolutely right," she said, "though not immediately and not before Paul Tagliabue is ready to step down. I want to say that for the record.

"I think it would be a very interesting job because I actually think football, with all due respect to baseball, is a kind of national pastime that brings people together across social lines, across racial lines. And I think it's an important American institution."

Rice does not fit the stereotype of a pro football fan, of course. She is a woman who speaks four languages, plays piano and has written three books, including one on German unification. She was once a promising figure skater.

Most of Rice's time in recent days has been spent monitoring the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But she still finds a few moments to keep up with preparations for the N.F.L. draft, which begins Saturday at Madison Square Garden. No matter where she is Saturday and no matter what she is doing, Rice expects to find out which players are going where.

Rice's passion for football stems from her study of the history of warfare. While acknowledging the obvious differences, Rice said she was attracted to two fundamental similarities between football and warfare: the use of strategy and the goal of taking territory.

"I really consider myself a student of the game," she said. "I find the strategy and tactics absolutely fascinating. I find the evolution of the game really interesting. Again, as it relates to military history. Military history has swung back and forth between advantage to the offense and advantage to the defense. When the offense has the advantage, then a new technology will come along that will temporarily give the defense the advantage and vice versa. Football has that kind of pattern, too."

Rice says she manages to sneak peeks at the television to catch highlights of games during breaks between meetings. She tapes games and, despite sometimes knowing the final score, will watch the game after arriving home. "I would have written several more books if it had not been for the N.F.L.," Rice said, joking.

One of the signs that Rice is a big N.F.L. fan is that she watches ESPN's "N.F.L. Gameday" show, a Sunday pregame football feast that lasts two hours.

When watching a game, Rice focuses on the offensive line and the secondary the most, two areas where tactics are paramount. She also appreciates the ground game. Her favorite players are all running backs: Marshall Faulk of the St. Louis Rams ("an amazing athlete"), Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys ("gives 300 percent every day") and Corey Dillon of the Cincinnati Bengals ("I've been watching him develop for years").

Despite her knowledge of football, and her passion for it, Rice says men often underestimate what she knows because she is a woman. As the Stanford provost, Rice oversaw the university's athletic budget and was ultimately responsible for hiring the football coach.

Some of the candidates she interviewed were surprised by her football knowledge, a reaction she attributes to her gender.

"We'd go through the interview process," she said, "and inevitably I would ask some question of a coach, say, who came from an option team. `You're not going to be able to run the option at Stanford. We don't have enough bodies to give up to run the option. What do you plan to do?' It always surprised people."

Rice was introduced to football by her father, John, who was once a high school football coach in Birmingham, Ala., where the family lived.

"I was supposed to be his all-American linebacker," Rice, who is an only child, said. "He had already bought the football, so when I was born a girl, he decided he had to teach me about football instead."

She grew up a Cleveland Browns fan because their games were broadcast in Birmingham. When the Hall of Fame coach Paul Brown, someone she admired, left Cleveland and coached the Cincinnati Bengals, she switched her allegiance. Now she is a Browns fan again because of her friendship with Carmen Policy, the team's general manager, whom she met when Policy held the same post with the San Francisco 49ers.

Rice was asked if she would ever root for the team closest to the White House. She laughed. "At the risk of offending people in Washington," she said, "I'm not much of a Redskins fan." - NY Times

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Wrong.

I'll bet she can spell better "then" you.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard
    I'll bet she can spell better "then" you.
    Then/than, what the hell is the difference?

Go pound salt dmaynard.

All Pro
    Then/than, what the hell is the difference?

Go pound salt dmaynard.
    I have high blood pressure.

All League

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshsports10

Don't sleep on it. She is a huge football fan. She goes to every Redskin game. In an interview some time ago she said that her dream job was to become NFL commissioner. The interviewer asked what was higher on her list, President of the United States or NFL Commissioner. Without hesitation, Rice said NFL Commissioner.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Don't sleep on it. She is a huge football fan. She goes to every Redskin game. In an interview some time ago she said that her dream job was to become NFL commissioner. The interviewer asked what was higher on her list, President of the United States or NFL Commissioner. Without hesitation, Rice said NFL Commissioner.

She really is smart. Who the hell would want to be President of the United States?

Banned
    I'd rather have my overweight *uckface neighbor *hit on me while binging on an infinite amount of fiberlaced doublecheesbugers and orange juice than have that lying Republican as the new NFL commish....

Veteran
    Who Here Needs More Cowbell???? :d :p

All Pro
    Wrong.

Her big toe knows more than you.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PMCRW
    I'd rather have my overweight *uckface neighbor *hit on me while binging on an infinite amount of fiberlaced doublecheesbugers and orange juice than have that lying Republican as the new NFL commish....

dick