Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Jets Awaiting Runyans Decision from NY Dailynews

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,709

    Jets Awaiting Runyans Decision from NY Dailynews

    Jets closer to Eagles OT Runyan



    BY RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER


    Jon Runyan may change his shade of green and move up Jersey Turnpike to sign free-agent deal with Jets.

    The Jets were awaiting a decision last night from free-agent right tackle Jon Runyan, who appeared to be leaning toward the Jets over re-signing with the Eagles.

    If the Jets land Runyan, widely regarded as the top offensive lineman still on the market, it would be their most expensive offseason addition - and it might shed some light on their draft plans.


    With Runyan (6-7, 330) and Adrian Jones, who finished last season at left tackle, the Jets would seem less inclined to pick Virginia left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the fourth overall choice.


    The other non-quarterback near the top of many draft boards is North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. The Jets already have signed a defensive end, former Steeler Kimo von Oelhoffen, and they still have a lot invested in Shaun Ellis.


    By addressing both lines in free agency, the Jets might be thinking quarterback with the fourth pick. The Jets have arranged a private workout with Texas' Vince Young, who reportedly will audition for team officials on Monday. They probably will have private sessions with USC's Matt Leinart and Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler, the other top quarterback prospects.


    With about $20 million in cap room, the Jets have made a lucrative offer to the 32-year-old Runyan. His agent, Ben Dogra, said he was engaged in discussions with the Jets and Eagles. As of late afternoon, Runyan hadn't made a decision, Dogra said.


    "Coach (Eric) Mangini and his staff made an excellent impression on Jon," Dogra said in an E-mail. "Philly has been home for Jon for a long time, and that makes it a difficult decision for him."


    Runyan didn't return a message on his cell phone. On Wednesday night, he said he wasn't expecting the Eagles to make a competitive offer. Runyan, an Eagle since 2000, might be on the downside of his career, but he's still considered a strong run blocker.

    Originally published on March 24, 2006

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,709
    Jets | Runyan could decide Friday
    Fri, 24 Mar 2006 05:19:15 -0800

    Les Bowen, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports free agent OT Jon Runyan (Eagles) could make his decision on where he will sign Friday, March 24. As noted earlier, Runyan has reportedly narrowed his choices to the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets.

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa


    Jon Runyan may change his shade of green and move up Jersey Turnpike to sign free-agent deal with Jets.
    Won't happen.

    Rumor has it his dog does not like New York.

  4. #4
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    "Coach (Eric) Mangini and his staff made an excellent impression on Jon," Dogra said in an E-mail. "Philly has been home for Jon for a long time, and that makes it a difficult decision for him."
    This should be interesting from the standpoint that Herm & Co. always made a good impression also, but had trouble closing the deal on occasion. Runyon may be a longshot just for the reason of longevity with his team, and perhaps a mistaken belief that he is on a better contender with the Eagles. I actually think the window has closed for the Eagles and the Jets could be in the mix in a couple of seasons.

    Back to my point, I'm interested to see if Tangini has more success closing a big deal.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Won't happen.

    Rumor has it his dog does not like New York.


    dam your chowds have come back down to earth and all you can still do is put a silly spin on everything?

    LOL!!

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,233
    If they sign Runyan and get a center in the draft, then I think we'll have a very competent OL.

    To make us offensively competitive, it would be nice to draft Vernon Davis. This would give Shotty the big fast athletic TE he was looking for.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    This is taking too long.

    I can almost guarantee that Runyon ends up back in Philly. He would have closed the deal if he really wanted to be here. He is hoping Philly just comes close to what the Jets are offering.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    Jets closer to Eagles OT Runyan



    BY RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER


    Jon Runyan may change his shade of green and move up Jersey Turnpike to sign free-agent deal with Jets.

    The Jets were awaiting a decision last night from free-agent right tackle Jon Runyan, who appeared to be leaning toward the Jets over re-signing with the Eagles.

    If the Jets land Runyan, widely regarded as the top offensive lineman still on the market, it would be their most expensive offseason addition - and it might shed some light on their draft plans.


    With Runyan (6-7, 330) and Adrian Jones, who finished last season at left tackle, the Jets would seem less inclined to pick Virginia left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the fourth overall choice.


    The other non-quarterback near the top of many draft boards is North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. The Jets already have signed a defensive end, former Steeler Kimo von Oelhoffen, and they still have a lot invested in Shaun Ellis.


    By addressing both lines in free agency, the Jets might be thinking quarterback with the fourth pick. The Jets have arranged a private workout with Texas' Vince Young, who reportedly will audition for team officials on Monday. They probably will have private sessions with USC's Matt Leinart and Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler, the other top quarterback prospects.


    With about $20 million in cap room, the Jets have made a lucrative offer to the 32-year-old Runyan. His agent, Ben Dogra, said he was engaged in discussions with the Jets and Eagles. As of late afternoon, Runyan hadn't made a decision, Dogra said.


    "Coach (Eric) Mangini and his staff made an excellent impression on Jon," Dogra said in an E-mail. "Philly has been home for Jon for a long time, and that makes it a difficult decision for him."


    Runyan didn't return a message on his cell phone. On Wednesday night, he said he wasn't expecting the Eagles to make a competitive offer. Runyan, an Eagle since 2000, might be on the downside of his career, but he's still considered a strong run blocker.

    Originally published on March 24, 2006

    thats what i'm talking about....sign Runyun entertain teh qb's and make it look like we're gonna draft one and then trade down!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    7,007
    The headline of this thread made me think that the Jets are waiting to hear from the Daily News. Doesn't he have an agent?

  10. #10
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Won't happen.

    Rumor has it his dog does not like New York.

    and your source is (Pizza delivery boy)?

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    This is taking too long.

    I can almost guarantee that Runyon ends up back in Philly. He would have closed the deal if he really wanted to be here. He is hoping Philly just comes close to what the Jets are offering.
    I agree, we're being used IMO. oh well

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyjetsbfc
    and your source is (Pizza delivery boy)?
    Winfield's wife and John Lynch's hampster.

  13. #13

    the retared twins

    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    This should be interesting from the standpoint that Herm & Co. always made a good impression also, but had trouble closing the deal on occasion. Runyon may be a longshot just for the reason of longevity with his team, and perhaps a mistaken belief that he is on a better contender with the Eagles. I actually think the window has closed for the Eagles and the Jets could be in the mix in a couple of seasons.

    Back to my point, I'm interested to see if Tangini has more success closing a big deal.
    bradway and herm couldn't close the deal on lynch. Who is, if I'm not mistaken a two time pro bowler with Denver.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,233
    I guarantee this deal will happen. My reason is "just because".

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    I'd like to get him but it always seems the other team wins out at the last minute, Antoine Winfield and John Lynch (I know that happens to every team). Hopefully.

    I don't think signing Runyan precludes us from taking D'Brick.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    If we sign Runyan then I think a trade up for Leinart becomes a definate possiblity.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    If we sign Runyan then I think a trade up for Leinart becomes a definate possiblity.
    I hope not.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3


    The Jets could sign a backup TE and you would point to how Leinart is coming to NY.

    AHahahaahahaaha, Jet Geniuss!!!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    I hope not.
    Are you a Jets fan ????

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,724
    What's with the love for trading up to get Leinart. That would be equivalent to
    trading DBrick or Mario Williams and Mangold or Jean-Gilles for a QB with a
    questionable arm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us