Thread: Relying on too many rookies

All League

Relying on too many rookies

I tried to fill out the line up today at work and I could not even finish. no left guard, no right tackle, no will backer, no inside backer next to Vilma, no true nose tackle.
    We are in trouble if we need to fill all those spots through the draft. Parcells used to say every rookie starting will cost you at least one game.
    I realize the JETS are rebuilding, but it would be nice if they could at least compete.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12
    I tried to fill out the line up today at work and I could not even finish. no left guard, no right tackle, no will backer, no inside backer next to Vilma, no true nose tackle.
    We are in trouble if we need to fill all those spots through the draft. Parcells used to say every rookie starting will cost you at least one game.
    I realize the JETS are rebuilding, but it would be nice if they could at least compete.

the sky is falling, the sky is falling

cool it man, it's only march

All League
    A little early to be hitting the panic button. Right now we all speculate that they are going to play a 3/4. In a 4-3 Ellis, Robertson, Pope and Thomas ( Kimo can fill in at any position) Hobson, Vilma , Barton, Barret, Coleman, Rhodes, Miller. On the O-line Jones, Kendall, Rookie/FA, Moore, Rookie/FA. Martin, Askew, QB of Choice, Coleman, McCariens Baker.

I count 2 spots open which may be rookies or FAs and it is still only March. Don't panic yet. Let things play out. We don't play a game for 6 months.

Practice Squad
    It is early but u can see where he's coming from all isn't great in Jet land.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy
    Don't panic yet. Let things play out. We don't play a game for 6 months.
    That's so depressing. No real football games for another SIX months

To respond to the actual thread, calm down man....things will be alright.

All League
    the sky is falling my ass. get real man. logical view of our team. Pope sucks by the way. no good free agents left and dont say Hopkins please. only the draft and that leaves a lot of young kids playing right away, or am I missing something. I'm looking forward to this year regardless, but it would be nice to think they may have a chance on any Sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    You dismiss the rebuilding too quickly. The rebuilding is a process and you make logical decisions as you go. Some times you win and sometime you don't but you follow certain guidelines and live with the consequences. Eventually the process converges and the team wins a lot more.

We may not be very competitive the first year; however, if we get lucky we just may have an interesting season.

Next year the convergence will happen a lot quicker and the team will be closer to the goal ie., winning.

All League
    the sky is falling my ass. get real man. logical view of our team. Pope sucks by the way. no good free agents left and dont say Hopkins please. only the draft and that leaves a lot of young kids playing right away, or am I missing something. I'm looking forward to this year regardless, but it would be nice to think they may have a chance on any Sunday.
    You want an all pro at every position? Would be nice but not going to happen. Hopkins is as good as any journeyman you are going to find. Sure we are not set at every position but you act like this is the end of the world. I wonder how many open positions the Bears had last year.

All League
    I guess it's time to slit my wrists.

Undrafted Free Agent

jeez louise

i can't believe some of these posters. my god, wait till after the freaking draft to say we're going to suck at least. After the draft, then June 1st cuts we'll see what the team looks like. Not blowing all the cap money in the first month by overpaying people who don't want to be here aside for a large paycheck is a GOOD thing. Just chill out and shut up until August, then we'll know what we really have...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

There's always quality players cut on June 1st. Remember that we picked up Pete Kendall after the June 1st cuts in 2004 and he was very good for us that year.

Rookie
    I am continually amazed how short the attention span, of some folks.
    Spoiled... just snap the fingers, and poof... the mess of the past five years is corrected.

If any of your teams have never won a championship...
    The fun isn't just winning the championship... it's the ride.
    So, sit back & enjoy... and stay away from ledges...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by burf
    I am continually amazed how short the attention span, of some folks.
    Spoiled... just snap the fingers, and poof... the mess of the past five years is corrected.

If any of your teams have never won a championship...
    The fun isn't just winning the championship... it's the ride.
    So, sit back & enjoy... and stay away from ledges...

This site is full of young ledge jumpers Burf. No patience whatsoever. And you're correct in that the Bradway/Edwards regime has left this team in shambles. Any fan to think it will be restored overnight is seriously delusional. It will be fun watching the young management team work towards making the Jets franchise a true contender. One step at a time... without making foolish moves for a quick patch.

All League
    you dont have to wait until June 1st anymore. there will be no "quality" cuts this summer. enough with the cut your wrist and short attention span crap. its a logical and realistic look at where our team is and what they will be this year.
    all pro's at every position, no but how about quality starters? I know there will be guys there, my point was that we are going to be relying on rookies too soon. and thats never good.

Hall Of Fame

The good thing is, if Bill said it, Eric was probably in the room when he said it.