Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN has learned that MLB will investigate Barry Bonds for past steroid use

All Pro

ESPN has learned that MLB will investigate Barry Bonds for past steroid use

This just broke on ESPN news. Nothing else on the story yet. They will investigate other players as well, but obviously Bonds is the center of this.

Veteran
    Im glad they (MLB) has decided to allow this information to get out before they undertake the investigation. There is nothing like letting these guys get a heads up before the hammer comes down.

IMO Bud Selig is a horrible owner that is incompetent and ineffective. This is the same man that has turned a blind eye towards this issue for the last decade while baseball was reaping in the profits during the McGuire-Sosa homerun race of the late 90's.

As long as Selig is at the helm, baseball will continue to deteriorate and lose ground versus the NFL. Americas new national pastime is the NFL, baseball is drowning in corruption and disinterest.

All League
    They have no other option. He'll try and play to break the record, but this surely has to spell the end.

Hall Of Fame
    Big mistake. Let sleeping dogs lie. This is going to bring up Mark McGuire, Giambi,Shefield, Palmero and others. But I guess if the Govt did the investigation it might be worse because then the commissioner would get investigated. By doing it this way they can sugar coat it somewhat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    Big mistake. Let sleeping dogs lie. This is going to bring up Mark McGuire, Giambi,Shefield, Palmero and others. But I guess if the Govt did the investigation it might be worse because then the commissioner would get investigated. By doing it this way they can sugar coat it somewhat.

exactly yo. beta dat bonds go to jail than selig. who do you tink would survive in da pen? a fat white slob or bonds? selig would get done like dat movie shawshanks

V

Quote Originally Posted by VilManiac
    exactly yo. beta dat bonds go to jail than selig. who do you tink would survive in da pen? a fat white slob or bonds? selig would get done like dat movie shawshanks

V
    Haha this guy got banned. He was good for a few laughs.

TMahoney
    I should NOT have drafted Gary Sheffield onto my fantasy team.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    I should NOT have drafted Gary Sheffield onto my fantasy team.
    Why not? I got Pujols (2nd overall) and Bonds (Round 5, pick 2) on the same team and feel great about it! What round did you take Sheffield? Believe me, he's worth it (and I hate the Yanks).

TMahoney
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    Why not? I got Pujols (2nd overall) and Bonds (Round 5, pick 2) on the same team and feel great about it! What round did you take Sheffield? Believe me, he's worth it (and I hate the Yanks).
    I got him round 3 pick 6 in a twelve team league.

But if he gets banned from baseball thats going to suck.

But if nothing happens, I got the nastiest outfield: Manny, Sheffield and Matsui. Torri Hunter is the utility.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
    I got him round 3 pick 6 in a twelve team league.

But if he gets banned from baseball thats going to suck.

But if nothing happens, I got the nastiest outfield: Manny, Sheffield and Matsui. Torri Hunter is the utility.
    Neither he nor bonds will get banned from baseball. Their investigation, no matter what it turns up will be dating back to a time when there was no anti-steroid policies in baseball. While taking steroids was unethical in baseball (and not to mention illegal in society), they can't banish them for breaking a rule that didn't exist.

HTH.

Hall Of Fame
    CS,

What do you think here? 11 teams. We start 2 catchers, 6 OF, a CI, a MI, and 6 pitchers. Rotisserie league with all normal stats (OBP instead of BA):

Pos

C J. Posada
    C A. Pierzynski

1B A. Pujols

2B C. Figgins

3B M. Ensberg

SS J. Lugo

CI C. Jones

MI C. Biggio

OF C. Lee
    OF B. Bonds
    OF R. Winn
    OF M. Bradley
    OF M. Alou

Util M. Jacobs

BN R. Belliard
    BN P. Feliz

Pitching

SP R. Oswalt
    SP C. Zambrano
    SP J. Smoltz
    SP D. Davis
    SP Ol. Pérez
    SP Od. Pérez
    SP J. Washburn

RP T. Hoffman
    RP B. Fuentes
    RP J. Borowski
    RP N. Cotts
    RP J. Devine
    Last edited by JMJ; 03-29-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Veteran
    I would love to see Barry Banned!!

All League
    Bonds used steroids?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami
    I would love to see Barry Banned!!

Me too. As much as I hate to say it and as big a Cardinals fan as I am, they should also ban McGuire and Sosa and erase their records from the books. To ban Bonds and not McGuire is going to make it a racial thing, which it should not be.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by HERDFAN1
    Me too. As much as I hate to say it and as big a Cardinals fan as I am, they should also ban McGuire and Sosa and erase their records from the books. To ban Bonds and not McGuire is going to make it a racial thing, which it should not be.
    Short and sweet, well said dude.

If they go after Bonds and NOT McGwire then something is definitely up.

Veteran
    waste of time to try and rehabilitate Bud Selig's image. They aren't trying to find out the whole story. They will throw a few scapegoats under the bus and say mission accomplished.

Veteran
    Bonds head?

All League
    then they have to go back and ban dozens, possibly 100's of players who were using. no one knows everyone who was using. you can't just go after the big names. what about managers who let their players use? trainers? owners? who allowed their players use. should they be banned?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    Short and sweet, well said dude.

If they go after Bonds and NOT McGwire then something is definitely up.
    ....and 40% of players from 1985-2003.

This a terrible move by MLB. Completely reactionary to a letter from a Congressman. They backed themselves into a corner --now, they can't simply let an investigation fade away --they'll have to see it to the end.

Unless they intentionally suppress their findings, there will be as much evidence unearthed about how much the teams knew, how much Selig knew, about how much Kevin Halloran knew about steroid use, as there will be evidence that individual players juiced.

After everything they find, they will have a huge fight on their hands with the Players Association if they attempt to discipline anyone for steroid use when it wasn't specifically addressed in the CBA.

All League

Ok, So what are you basing your statement on?

What proof do you have that Mcgwire and Sosa were taking Illegal Steroids?

Lets compare the proof with Bonds vs Mac and Sosa. let me know what you come up with