Thread: Adrian Jones

All League

Question Adrian Jones

How did this guy play at LT? Does he look like he could be an amazing franchise tackle given time? Or can he play any RT? I am 17 and relatively new to football so I have trouble analyzing O-line players. All I really think is that he is too small for RT plus his style doesn't fit the position. No idea on how good of an LT he is . So any experts here want to give me the rundown on this guy?

-TheMo

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He's an adequate LT. Nothing fancy or special, just a solid guy on the left side. He can play RT but it isn't his ideal position (he can often get knocked over by bull rushers).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo
    How did this guy play at LT? Does he look like he could be an amazing franchise tackle given time? Or can he play any RT? I am 17 and relatively new to football so I have trouble analyzing O-line players. All I really think is that he is too small for RT plus his style doesn't fit the position. No idea on how good of an LT he is . So any experts here want to give me the rundown on this guy?

-TheMo
    He was learning the blindside OT position last year. On the job training under the worst of circumstances. He will be a lot better this year guaranteed if they let him play.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    He was learning the blindside OT position last year. On the job training under the worst of circumstances. He will be a lot better this year guaranteed if they let him play.
    Would you be against drafting the Brick? And if so for both of them in their prime who do you think would be better and to what degree? I am honestly just asking don't take these as sarcastic.

-TheMo

Hall Of Fame
    Would you be again Herst drafting the Brick? And if so for both of them in their prime who do you think would be better and to what degree? I am honestly just asking don't take these as sarcastic.

-TheMo
    I wouldn't mind DBrick at all; however, I look at the draft a little differently. I think we need to get the most value as possible. DBrick is a lot of value but will require a big signing bonus. We could do better by trading down if we have someone willing to do so. That way we get an additional second round draft pick. We would be able to fill additional holes and get more talent on board.

Here's some additional OTs
    1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia 6-6 312 5.10
    2. Winston Justice Southern Cal 6-6 1/8 319 5.10
    3. Eric Winston Miami (FL) 6-6 5/8 310 4.94
    4. Marcus McNeill Auburn 6-7 5/8 336 5.07

Any of the 2 to 4 would be good coachable OT and we wouldn't have to pay that much.

All Pro
    I would take the D'Brick. Many people seem to believe that two pass blocking OT's is a negative. I disagree. With TE's being more and more involved in the passing game there is no reason why two pass blocking OT's is a bad thing...

I would love D'Brick.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189
    I would take the D'Brick. Many people seem to believe that two pass blocking OT's is a negative. I disagree. With TE's being more and more involved in the passing game there is no reason why two pass blocking OT's is a bad thing...

I would love D'Brick.

Oh I happen to agree with you,and that is why I would loveto land Marcus McNeill at 29.Here is a 330 lb guy who is nimble enough to plat LT,and powerfull enough to be a mauler in the running game at RT.Another candidate is Andrew Whitworth with the ability to do either and who can be had late 2nd early 3rd.

Brick is a LT,a Great LT,but that is what he is.

All Pro

-TheMo
    Jones played well considering he was going from LT to RT then back to LT to finish. He will be better this year if they keep him thier, no I don't want D'Brick he may be good in the furture but I don't want to wait for him to develop. He will be dominated by the speed rushers in the game. D'Brick has a tendency to get pushed back from a bull rush and he needs to work on his footwork. So I would take Jones right now and remeber Jones is still young.
    And put our money into Hawk if we want a difference maker that is ready to step-in now.

Banned

-TheMo

Big difference between LT and RT.

Defenses will send a speed rusher against the LT to attack the QB's (if he's right-handed) blindside. The hope is that the speed rusher gets to the QB quickly without him seeing defender coming. Therefore, the LT needs to be an athletic pass blocker who's quick enough to keep the speed rusher from getting around him. Ideal LTs have long arms as well because it makes it that much harder to get around them. Even if the defensive end gets the edge on the LT, his long arms can keep the rusher away just long enough for the QB to get rid of the ball. Every split second counts.

The RT tends to be more of a mauler. Someone who's going to try to run his opponent over. They're usually very big and strong, but not necessarily athletic. Defenses tend to use bigger ends against the RT in order to hold their own against the run. In a running situation a RT will overpower a smaller speed rusher, so bigger and stronger guys are needed. Bigger ends (Like Michael Strahan or Shaun Ellis) are powerful and will bullrush (try to run straight through their opponent) in a passing situation, hence the need for a strong, mauling type of tackle.

Basically, you're countering speed with speed on one side, power with power on the other.

In the end, if we draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson, we'll essentially have two ideal LTs (him and Adrian Jones, who played well last season) and no ideal RT. That is why Ferguson is not the great fit that some people think he is for our team.

All Pro
    Adrian Jones Played well at the LT position.He kept speed rushers away on the outside and held his own on the inside rushers.He Played next to Brandon Moore,a Player in his second season as a starting OG and due to the inexperience of both Players and the loss of Kevin Mawae who called the line assignments within the blocking schemes,the 2 men had recurring problems with defensive line stunts.

This kid has the potential to be an all pro for yrs to come,but the Jets have to allow him to grow at 1 position.He improved greatly from his rookie training camp to the player that ended the season last yr.If he can continue to work on his game at 1 position,i have no doubt he will reach his potential.

All Pro
    Here's a question about the two tackle spots. Is there any difference between a RT who pass blocks for a left handed QB and a LT who blocks for a right handed QB? In other words, if you have a left handed QB, do you just swap your o-line over, or is there more to it than that?

And what do defenses tend to do - do they stick with the same set up or do they swap their DE's so that their speed rusher is still coming from the blind side?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar
    Adrian Jones Played well at the LT position.He kept speed rushers away on the outside and held his own on the inside rushers.He Played next to Brandon Moore,a Player in his second season as a starting OG and due to the inexperience of both Players and the loss of Kevin Mawae who called the line assignments within the blocking schemes,the 2 men had recurring problems with defensive line stunts.

This kid has the potential to be an all pro for yrs to come,but the Jets have to allow him to grow at 1 position.He improved greatly from his rookie training camp to the player that ended the season last yr.If he can continue to work on his game at 1 position,i have no doubt he will reach his potential.
    Jones played alongside Moore at RT, but when he moved to LT he was beside Kendall then, when Mawae got hurt, Goodwin played LG and Kendall moved to C. So Jones didn't get to enjoy much consistency regarding who he played beside, which makes an OL job much harder.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    Here's a question about the two tackle spots. Is there any difference between a RT who pass blocks for a left handed QB and a LT who blocks for a right handed QB? In other words, if you have a left handed QB, do you just swap your o-line over, or is there more to it than that?

And what do defenses tend to do - do they stick with the same set up or do they swap their DE's so that their speed rusher is still coming from the blind side?

Defenses will switch it up, so does the OL. The speed rusher will rush the QB's blindside. In obvious passing situations they'll line up against the slower RT to try and create a mismatch.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    The right side is still the strong side, with the tight-end lining up on that side the majority of the offensive plays. And that means most runs will also be to the right, and you still want a road-grader type on that side.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    The right side is still the strong side, with the tight-end lining up on that side the majority of the offensive plays. And that means most runs will also be to the right, and you still want a road-grader type on that side.
    DBrick on the left and Winston Justice on the right. W Justice at 6'6" and 320 lbs on the right should be the steam roller you mention. Only trouble is you can't get your Leinart.

DBrick on the left and Winston Justice on the right. W Justice at 6'6" and 320 lbs on the right should be the steam roller you mention. Only trouble is you can't get your Leinart.
    Draft twoo good OT's and move Jones to guard and Kendal to center. Spend #35 on a LB, NT, DE, LB--BAP.

All Pro

Draft twoo good OT's and move Jones to guard and Kendal to center. Spend #35 on a LB, NT, DE, LB--BAP.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar

lol

Here's the deal; you don't start all the rookies. They are there for depth and nurturing. Maybe you start DBrick and the rest sit. You work these guys into the lineup a little bit at a time. When a guy gets a rest during a hard fought game the likelyhood of injury goes way down.

lol

Here's the deal; you don't start all the rookies. They are there for depth and nurturing. Maybe you start DBrick and the rest sit. You work these guys into the lineup a little bit at a time. When a guy gets a rest during a hard fought game the likelyhood of injury goes way down.
    If you are a first round pick in today's slary cap driven league, you play right away until it's proven you can't handle it. The money is too much of a driving force not to play these kids ASAP.