Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATT: Lawyers who frequent here...Question.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

ATT: Lawyers who frequent here...Question.

And not fake lawyers like latinloser.

Just curious.......is there any precedent in the law where the Jets can be forced to relinquish NY in their name now that they have absolutely no ties with the State?

Hall Of Fame
    I thought about this also but no so much, "would they be forced to?" but ... Should they?

Hmmmmm.

All League
    Is this a trick to get all the lawyers to post, find out who they are and ban them. hehe

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER

Just curious.......is there any precedent in the law where the Jets can be forced to relinquish NY in their name now that they have absolutely no ties with the State?

I doubt it. My first thought is, who would have standing to bring that suit? A resident of NY? The State of NY?

Being that you have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (whose name withstood a legal challenge), the NY/NJ Metrostars, the Washington Redskins, and other examples, I don't think you have much a basis to "force" the team to relinquish the name.

But, just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean that it can't be done. You would have to think up a creative, out of the box legal theory though.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Why would I want to ban lawyers?

Veteran
    This is too depressing of a scenario for me to even think about.

New Jersey Jets. Ugh....

Mommy, please hold me. I'm cold.....so cold...............

All League
    Just a joke my friend! Here's another:

What does a lawyer use for birth control? His personality! Ba-Dum-Bump!

Hall Of Fame

Yes, I'm a real attorney and have been practicing for over 6 years now. (Just had to say that so you think I'm a fake lawyer).

First, the Giants will be in the same situation and I haven't heard any mention of them having to relinquish NY from their name.

Anyway, it's really a league and team matter when it comes to what locality the team is affiliated with. No other party can force them to drop "New York." Remember the whole thing of the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" litigation? Well the city of Anaheim sued the Angels to have them drop the Los Angeles from their name. Anaheim lost that case and the Angels got to keep the name. Now let's get serious, you think New Jersey is going to sue the Jets (and it will have to sue the Giants as well) to have the "New York" dropped?

New York State can't sue the Jets or the Giants to drop "New York" because there is no proprietary right to the name "New York." If there was, NYS could sue "New York Pizza" in Hinesville, Georgia to make them drop the "New York."

Seriously, Sooth, I think you're taking this too far. Again, the Giants are in the same boat as the Jets but where are their fans saying "drop New York name, drop New York!"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You banned one yesterday.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al NYC
    This is too depressing of a scenario for me to even think about.

New Jersey Jets. Ugh....

Mommy, please hold me. I'm cold.....so cold...............
    They are the NJ Jets.

It became official yesterday. Now they should be forced to change their name. They don't deserve to have NY in their name or logo.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I think this has been mentioned before, but the Angels successfully fought a lawsuit by the city of Anaheim to use the name Los Angeles as part of the team name, even though Anaheim is part of Orange County, NOT Los Angeles city or even Los Angeles county. It's a slightly different situation, but similar.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=crasherino]I doubt it. My first thought is, who would have standing to bring that suit? A resident of NY? The State of NY?

/QUOTE]

I wonder if New Jersey could do it from the perspective of wanting (and deserving) the corporate state income taxes?

I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn ...

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    You banned one yesterday.
    I said LAWYERS. Not a minimum wage clerk.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=dmaynard]
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I doubt it. My first thought is, who would have standing to bring that suit? A resident of NY? The State of NY?

/QUOTE]

I wonder if New Jersey could do it from the perspective of wanting (and deserving) the corporate state income taxes?

I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn ...
    Dude, New Jersey get's the corporate state income taxes anyway, regardless of the name. They can be called the Montreal Jets and NJ would still get the tax money.

Hall Of Fame
    New York does not refer to the state, but the city. NJ is a suburb of NYC, like LI is. Keep the name.

Hall Of Fame
    They are the NJ Jets.

It became official yesterday. Now they should be forced to change their name. They don't deserve to have NY in their name or logo.
    Sooth has gone bye, bye.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SMC]
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard

Dude, New Jersey get's the corporate state income taxes anyway, regardless of the name. They can be called the Montreal Jets and NJ would still get the tax money.
    Yes, the name means nothing, but you are saying the Jets are incorporated in New Jersey? I did not know that.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I know it's just a name. But NJ Jets? I don't know. I would have to do some soul searching.....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Cash makes a good point with the issue of standing. In addition to that, I don't see any substantive basis to challenge the name. There is nothing in the law to prevent a private business (such as a football team), from naming itself basically whatever it sees fit. The only arguably applicable limitation to this general concept that I can think of would be that the name of the business cannot be misleading. The term "misleading" in a consumer protection context usually would be limited to circumstances where the "misleading" nature of the name would wrongfully induce consumers to purcahse a product. As you can see, I don't think that it would apply to calling a team in NJ, the NY Jets since it really is no secret that they are in NJ and, in the vast majority of cases, the NY part of the name is not the reason that the fans go to the games.

Just some quick thoughts on the quesiton.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    I think this has been mentioned before, but the Angels successfully fought a lawsuit by the city of Anaheim to use the name Los Angeles as part of the team name, even though Anaheim is part of Orange County, NOT Los Angeles city or even Los Angeles county. It's a slightly different situation, but similar.

Its probably as close as you can come to a precedent in this situation. I didn't follow that case at all, but Im guessing the Court's finding was something along the lines of "You can call yourselves whatever the hell you want."