Thread: Last OT to live up to hype?

Veteran

Last OT to live up to hype?

I'm looking at the draft and there have been more 1st round OT busts than not. Last OT taken who was a legit LT star; Gallery...NO, Gross...plays RT, Levi Jones- Good player not great. Mike Williams - BUST
    Gallery and Williams were better prospects than Ferguson. So who knows.
    What ever happened that Bryant Mckinnie guy?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Q: Last OT to live up to the hype?

A: D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Veteran
    I saw you're a proponent of Leinart as well. With the # 4 pick, if both Ferguson and Leinart are available who would u take, Untouchable?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If they were both available I would take Leinart but I just don't see Tennessee passing on him and I've soured on the idea of trading up.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win
    I'm looking at the draft and there have been more 1st round OT busts than not. Last OT taken who was a legit LT star; Gallery...NO, Gross...plays RT, Levi Jones- Good player not great. Mike Williams - BUST
    Gallery and Williams were better prospects than Ferguson. So who knows.
    What ever happened that Bryant Mckinnie guy?
    there are busts at every position...you can make a list like that for so many different things. At those guys you listed didn't have as much potential as D'Brick...this guy is as close as you can get to a can't miss, along with Hawk and Williams

All League
    by this logic, Jets select - AJ Hawk since LB seems to have fewer busts in the first round

Funny thing is that OG has done well for the Jean-Giles fans

1995 14 Buffalo RUBEN BROWN
    1996 23 Detroit JEFF HARTINGS
    1997 10 New Orleans CHRIS NAEOLE
    1998 26 Pittsburgh ALAN FANECA
    2001 17 Seattle STEVE HUTCHINSON
    2002 30 Pittsburgh KENDALL SIMMONS
    2004 19 Miami VERNON CAREY
    2005 32 New England LOGAN MANKINS

JetsInsider.com Legend
    your sample size is what... 5 years? That doesn't prove anything. Try looking at top OT prospects from the last 30 years or so - most of the greats were elite selections.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    If they were both available I would take Leinart but I just don't see Tennessee passing on him and I've soured on the idea of trading up.

Welcome to the team buddy. Its about time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan
    by this logic, Jets select - AJ Hawk since LB seems to have fewer busts in the first round

Funny thing is that OG has done well for the Jean-Giles fans

1995 14 Buffalo RUBEN BROWN
    1996 23 Detroit JEFF HARTINGS
    1997 10 New Orleans CHRIS NAEOLE
    1998 26 Pittsburgh ALAN FANECA
    2001 17 Seattle STEVE HUTCHINSON
    2002 30 Pittsburgh KENDALL SIMMONS
    2004 19 Miami VERNON CAREY
    2005 32 New England LOGAN MANKINS
    He would look great in green and white at #35. If we can take Watson at #29
    and M. Williams at #4 this could be the greatest draft in team history. Not that our teams history in the draft has been that good but none-the-less it would be a great one. All three would start immediately. Then we address RT and LB in round three. That will leave RB &TE/WR for rounds 4 & 5.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    just for the record i would take Brick over all three leinart, young and cutler purely on risk-assessment - he's one of the least risky elite picks in the draft.

not to mention the fact that franchise LT is actually harder to find outside of the first round than franchise QB - it's a premium position
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-05-2006 at 10:45 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    just for the record i would take Brick over all three leinart, young and cutler purely on risk-assessment - he's one of the least risky elite picks in the draft.

not to mention the fact that franchise LT is actually harder to find outside of the first round than franchise QB - it's a premium position
    Nice post Bit.

I think next to Reggie Bush, D'Brick is the surest thing in the draft.

Veteran
    I'm not saying that there aren't busts at every position...but LT is a hard position to fill and to live up to. You can fill in QB, with a servicable guy, even RB. BUT LT will be exposed EVERY single down.

I agree that Ferguson is an immense talent, and I hope he lives up to it. At # 4, I would only go LT, QB or DE. Any other pick is not worth the value at 4.

I think Mike Williams, Leonard Davis, Robert Gallery were all considered big time prospects coming out of college. I dont think that Ferguson is any less ability than these guys, but he also doesn't blow them away in terms of potential. I'm not against drafting D'Brick, but just throwing out the fact that LT prospects usually never live up to the hype. As far as I'm considered the only ones that have in recent history are Orlando Pace, Johnaton Ogden, Walter Jones, Tony Boselli. Boselli being the best (before the injuries hit). I do believe that Brick can be as good as Pace and Jones.
    I never said not to draft a player because there is a high bust probability, there. I was just making an observation.

All Pro
    Don't forget my all time favorite.... Tony Mandarich, taken number 2 overall, just after Troy Aikman.

All draft picks are a crapshoot.