Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Rate The Best Defensive Foursome in NFL History

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,065

    Thumbs up Rate The Best Defensive Foursome in NFL History

    They are:

    Minnesota Vikings - "The Purple People Eaters" (Jim Marshall, Carl Eller, Gary Larsen, Alan Page)

    Dallas Cowboys - "Doomsday Defense" (Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Jim Jeffcoat)

    New York Jets - "New York Sack Exchange" (Marty Lyons, Abdul Salaam, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau)

    Baltimore Colts - "The Sack Pack" (John Dutton, Mike Barnes, Joe Ehrmann, Fred Cook)

    Los Angeles Rams - "The Fearsome Foursome" (Rosey Grier, Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones)

    Pittsburgh Steelers - "The Steel Curtain" (Ernie Holmes, LC Greenwood, Dwight White, Joe Greene)

    New York Giants - "The Crunch Bunch" (Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Brad Van Pelt, Brian Kelly)

    New Orleans Saints - "The Dome Patrol" (Pat Swilling, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills, Rickey Jackson)

    Denver Broncos - "The Orange Crush" (Karl Mecklenburg, Rulon Jones, Marco Coleman, Greg Kragen)

    Chicago Bears - "Monsters of the Midway" (Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, William Perry, Steve McMichael)
    Last edited by sackdance99; 04-06-2006 at 12:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Nice list, but methinks you should add:

    Chicago Bears - "Monsters of the Midway" (Hampton, Dent, Perry, McMichael)

    SAR I

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,233
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance99
    They are:

    Minnesota Vikings - "The Purple People Eaters" (Jim Marshall, Carl Eller, Gary Larsen, Alan Page)

    Dallas Cowboys - "Doomsday Defense" (Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Jim Jeffcoat)

    New York Jets - "New York Sack Exchange" (Marty Lyons, Abdul Salaam, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau)

    Baltimore Colts - "The Sack Pack" (John Dutton, Mike Barnes, Joe Ehrmann, Fred Cook)

    Los Angeles Rams - "The Fearsome Foursome" (Rosey Grier, Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones)

    Pittsburgh Steelers - "The Steel Curtain" (Ernie Holmes, LC Greenwood, Dwight White, Joe Greene)

    New York Giants - "The Crunch Bunch" (Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Brad Van Pelt, Brian Kelly)

    New Orleans Saints - "The Dome Patrol" (Pat Swilling, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills, Rickey Jackson)

    Denver Broncos - "The Orange Crush" (Karl Mecklenburg, Rulon Jones, Marco Coleman, Greg Kragen)
    the Giants

    Steelers

    Jets

    Vikings

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,645
    This is tuff they are all so good.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,065
    For some reason my personal favorite of the ten is The Dome Patrol. They were so cool yet so fast and feared.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,846
    Well they didn't have a nickname that I know about but how about


    Gerry Philbin, John Elliot, Paul Rochester, Verlon Biggs

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    Nice list, but methinks you should add:

    Chicago Bears - "Monsters of the Midway" (Hampton, Dent, Perry, McMichael)

    SAR I
    Ah, Buddy Ryan's 4-6 defense.

    That group has my vote.

    BTW SAR, did the Bears win a Super Bowl with those guys?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Ah, Buddy Ryan's 4-6 defense.

    That group has my vote.

    BTW SAR, did the Bears win a Super Bowl with those guys?
    They were dominated and fell behind early, but Da Bears figured out a way to eek it out in the end.

    SAR I

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    52,287
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    They were dominated and fell behind early, but Da Bears figured out a way to eek it out in the end.

    SAR I
    Ouch.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    6,796
    The best player on that list IMO Joe Greene

    Pity Bob Lilly and Randy White did not play with each other...

    The best DT/DE tandem is the Rams with Olsen and Jones

    The best 4, either Da Bears or the Giants

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,975
    New York Sack Exchange

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    That Pitt team was the best D ever over a 6 year period. Even when they didn't win the SB they were awesome.

    Wish the sack exchange lasted longer

  13. #13

    good call

    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Ah, Buddy Ryan's 4-6 defense.

    That group has my vote.

    BTW SAR, did the Bears win a Super Bowl with those guys?

    they were clyde simmons
    reggie wite
    j. brown
    golic

    they were awesome

  14. #14
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    447
    Sack Exchange, no doubt.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,299
    I think your answer lies within your question. "Foursome"

    The "Fearsome Foursome" is my vote for no. 1. Deacon Jones maybe one of the Top 3 defensive players of all time. Olsen was a tremendous player also. The next tier would be Pittsburgh, Dallas and Vikings. The Bears had an awesome front 4 also, you could make a strong case to move them up into the class w/ Pitt and Dallas. I'm just not sold on their ability to sustain their dominant play over period of years.

    Before Klecko hurt is knee, him a Gastineau were a scary duo. Over 40 sacks combined in 1 years is production.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC via NY
    Posts
    8,794
    Wow, Bernie has a thread worth reading. Amazing.

    I would say that our beloved NY Sack Exchange is not near the top of this list.

    The Fearsome Foursome
    The Steel Curtain
    The Crunch Bunch

    I would take any of those foursomes on my team any day of the week.

  17. #17
    The Fearsome Foursome - that was old time football!!!!!!

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    While I agree with the list, WTF is up with that sig pic? Do you really see God as that punitive? That's almost Islamic...

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,846
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189
    The best player on that list IMO Joe Greene

    Pity Bob Lilly and Randy White did not play with each other...
    Can u imagine if Klecko played together with John Elliott? That would have been an unblockable duo.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    5,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan
    Can u imagine if Klecko played together with John Elliott? That would have been an unblockable duo.
    They were two of the most consistently double teamed defensive linemen ever. I could not imagine the destruction they would cause playing next to each other.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us