Thread: Jets/Fins rosters--whose is better?

Jets/Fins rosters--whose is better?

It's still early for 2006, pre-draft, mid-free agency, pre-training camp, but the early buzz has the Dolphins making a jump into serious contention. Why is that? It seems it's because they won a few games at the end of last year after they were already out of it, and much more so because it appears that they have a quality coach and coaching staff.

But a question: Taking the rosters as they exist today, Jets and Dolphins, whose would you rather have?

I can't see that the Dolphins have that much stronger a roster than the Jets right now, and it might be weaker. Quarterback coming off an injury, probably not ready until several games in, running back facing suspension, other running back still getting acclimated, offensive line average at best, Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor getting on in years, secondary picking up Giant castoffs.

Does this mean that if Mangini is the real deal and we stay away from injuries and we have a quarterback who can play at a professional level (be it Chad or Ramsey) and we shore up the offensive line a bit, that we can be looking at 10 wins or so? I think it does. So I'm optimistic. I like what's going on. Patriots were mediocre to bad for a lot of years before they got good. No reason it can't happen here. Rose colored glasses? Maybe. But it feels better to have hope, and to dream.

Hall Of Fame
    Frank Moga?

Fins blow & always will. But...Dante will play great for them this season. Ricky the Spleefer will not get 1 single carry thanks to the league's drug policy ( to be announced officially within the month). They stink this year even with a decent coach. This years defense will be their WORST in years.
    (I heard Jetfan13 is starting at CB for them this year!).

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929
    It's still early for 2006, pre-draft, mid-free agency, pre-training camp, but the early buzz has the Dolphins making a jump into serious contention. Why is that? It seems it's because they won a few games at the end of last year after they were already out of it, and much more so because it appears that they have a quality coach and coaching staff.

But a question: Taking the rosters as they exist today, Jets and Dolphins, whose would you rather have?

I can't see that the Dolphins have that much stronger a roster than the Jets right now, and it might be weaker. Quarterback coming off an injury, probably not ready until several games in, running back facing suspension, other running back still getting acclimated, offensive line average at best, Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor getting on in years, secondary picking up Giant castoffs.

Does this mean that if Mangini is the real deal and we stay away from injuries and we have a quarterback who can play at a professional level (be it Chad or Ramsey) and we shore up the offensive line a bit, that we can be looking at 10 wins or so? I think it does. So I'm optimistic. I like what's going on. Patriots were mediocre to bad for a lot of years before they got good. No reason it can't happen here. Rose colored glasses? Maybe. But it feels better to have hope, and to dream.

the hype about the Dolphins is based on having a nice run in 05.....they failed to make the playoffs.......barely beat us and beat some bad teams to end the year.....Culpepper more than likely won't be ready to start the season. The 2006 Jets is already different from 2005 and this is before the drafy which should bring some good young talent here.

IMHO it's too premature

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929

anothe rthing that makes me chuckl os that people seem to forget the Dolphins record in 2004.......yeah they rebounded in 2005 but still did not make the playoffs....Jets had a crappy 2003 season and won a playoff game in 2004...goal of your team is to make the playoffs....Dolphins have still not done that in some time.

To assume that the Jets will be in the cellar of the AFC East is Idiotic in today's NFL.

I feel this team will be competetive in 2006....NO one has a crystal ball to already see the future.....yeah yeah I know everyone thinks the Patriots losses will not be felt........I am in the wait and see mode.

Bring on the draft!!

Veteran
    Unfortunately, I have to go with the Phins right now. IMO the Phins did the right thing the last 2 offseasons:
    - Saban seems like the real deal as coach.
    - They made some big FA pick ups this offseason.
    - They have some playmakers and a potentially deadly offense with Chambers, Brown/Williams, McMichael, and Culpepper.
    - Their defense always seems to be good.
    - Finally, they are ahead of us because they already went through their rebuilding years.

I think they are poised to make a run this season and will win the division. Compare this to the Jets: we released several offensive players after a poor season where we had trouble scoring points. Our depth is very scary on offense right now and we are in a rebuilding year.
    Last edited by suprjet; 04-10-2006 at 11:36 AM.

I am very excited that the Jets can fill major holes thru the draft. But none of this "draft the best player available" non-sense!!!!. Draft to fill specific positional holes we need to fill!!!!

Tex Scramm is/was a complete idiot. Axioms from 1970's NFL simply do not apply in 2006 NFL. Its a different game today.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet
    Unfortunately, I have to go with the Phins right now. IMO the Phins did the right thing the last 2 offseasons:
    - Saban seems like the real deal as coach.
    - They made some big FA pick ups this offseason.
    - They have some playmakers and a potentially deadly offense with Chambers, Brown/Williams, McMichael, and Culpepper.
    - Their defense always seems to be good.
    - Finally, they are ahead of us because they already went through their rebuilding years.

I think they are poised to make a run this season and will win the division. Compare this to the Jets: we released several offensive players after a poor season where we had trouble scoring points. Our depth is very scary on offense right now and we are in a rebuilding year.

how does saban seem like the real deal as coach? what has he done?
    Name the big FA pickups? How do u know Culpepper is fuly healed? (he is not)

You may have missed it but we split wiht them in 2005 and they barely beat a terrible Jets team in Miami......this FO is making good moves and we are gonna load up in the draft.

Dolphins win 9 games in a playoff less year and all of a sudden they are very improved????? LOL.

You also spoke of the players the Jets lost......how did they really help the Jets in 2005??? This is a new era and this team will compete in the division in 2006.

Hall Of Fame
    Phrauds are overhyped as usual.

Cripplepepper was nearly benched before he got hurt to Brad Johnson.

Their secondary is a mess, and have released 3 starters. So far, their answer to replacing Sam Madison is Will "turnstile" Allen (Former Giant)

Why is Mike Mularkey getting so much hype? He was garbage in Buffalo, and the Phins actually have downgraded with their offensive coaching staff, they lost Linehan to the Rams, who is now their HC.

Capers?

What has he done?

The Mhypeami spin machine is working overtime again.

Veteran
    They went out and to get there own perennially injured QB instead of just staying in house, something the jets didn't have to do..
    They spent a good amount of money on big name free agents and got big names to fill out their coaching staff. They are not built to last as if they see even a moderate amount of success their coordinators will be leaving in droves for other teams.
    Culpepper has little to no upside, I'd venture to say he's entering the latter part of his career.
    They have some weapons on offense (McMichael and Chambers) but on defense they are quickly aging. Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor have trouble staying healthy and are getting on in age (both early 30s).. We'll see if we have a repeat of Marvin Jones/ Mo Lewis tandem in Miami. They won't have to travel far from the stadium to get to that retirement home however. I don't feel their secondary will pose a threat to anyone and even with LJ Shelton I don't know how well this line will do with an injured duck behind center and Sammy morris/ Ronnie brown in their backfield (?!)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak
    how does saban seem like the real deal as coach? what has he done?
    Name the big FA pickups? How do u know Culpepper is fuly healed? (he is not)

You may have missed it but we split wiht them in 2005 and they barely beat a terrible Jets team in Miami......this FO is making good moves and we are gonna load up in the draft.

Dolphins win 9 games in a playoff less year and all of a sudden they are very improved????? LOL.

You also spoke of the players the Jets lost......how did they really help the Jets in 2005??? This is a new era and this team will compete in the division in 2006.
    Dude, Miami won 9 games last season and six in a row to finish the season after going 4-12 in 2004. They legitimized themselves as a contender this season.

If the Jets win 9 games next year and win 6 in a row, I'll be saying the same thing about Mangini.

All League
    I think both rosters are somewhat even. As of today I beleive we have better talent in the secondary and in LB. They have better talent at TE. They have issues at QB so do we. They have issues with the Oline, so do we. Coaching wise, we dont know what Mangini and Co. have in store for the season. Running backs, I was not that impressed with Brown, but it was only his first year. Too hard to tell as of today.

We did split with them last year and we had them beat at home with our team in pieces.

All League
    They were also a very healthy team last yeat, who's to say whan can happen next year. Look at what happened to us.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet
    Dude, Miami won 9 games last season and six in a row to finish the season after going 4-12 in 2004. They legitimized themselves as a contender this season.
    They've gotten better with Saban on board, but I totally disagree that they're "contenders" for the Superbowl. JMO

my two cents. most teams are fairly even

in overall talent. some teams may have an edge in a number of positions but that will be balanced out by average players in other positions. as for the doltfins and the jets, i would give the advantage to the doltfins only because they are not going through the same degree of changes as the jets currently are. give them some credit for still having intact lines, etc.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    They've gotten better with Saban on board, but I totally disagree that they're "contenders" for the Superbowl. JMO
    last year was the first year i remember a miami team not falling apart at the end of the season and choking. They are the premiere chokers of the NFL, and mark my words, as soon as they get good enough to actually be close to making the playoffs, they will choke again. We will beat them, merry christmas saban.

I dont think the two teams are far away talent wise. Miami has a better defensive line. The Jets better linebackers and secondary. The Jets are also alot younger than Miami on defense. Both teams offensive lines are not good. Miami has much better threats in Chambers and McMichael than the Jets do in Coles and really nobody. Ronnie Brown is better than the Martin/Blaylock/Houston rotation, but Im not sure the gap is as big as people think. Both teams have issues at QB, though the Jets have better depth. Really the Jets probably have better depth just about everywhere. If Miami was to lose Chambers or Brown their offense would be devastated. The biggest edge for Miami goes to the coaching staff. Saban did a good job with the team last season and has a godo resume. Mangini and company is a total unknown.

I doubt Miami is going to be lumped in as a Super Bowl contender next year. They are extremely old defensively and used a creampuff schedule at the end of the year to rattle off a bunch of wins. Its no different than what the Bills and Jets did the year before.

All League
    The Fins have improved.

So have the Jets, by subtracting their former head coach, and putting their GM back where he belongs.

Scouting.

AT this point in time it is silly to call either of these teams a contender.

Neither has a REAL starting QB for opening day. Maybe as opening day approaches things will be clear, but right now, who knows?

All League
    The Fins are in an interesting position because they had major flaws that needed to be corrected (QB, mainly) and then they did, but meanwhile their defense that was their strength is aging so badly that they're going to have to rebuild that too very soon.

I bet the Fins go 9-7 this year before having a worse record the next.

As a final point, I think Saban is an evil wizard.

I think if Mangini succeeds we'll have the best coached division in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rome
    They went out and to get there own perennially injured QB instead of just staying in house, something the jets didn't have to do..
    They spent a good amount of money on big name free agents and got big names to fill out their coaching staff. They are not built to last as if they see even a moderate amount of success their coordinators will be leaving in droves for other teams.
    Culpepper has little to no upside, I'd venture to say he's entering the latter part of his career.
    They have some weapons on offense (McMichael and Chambers) but on defense they are quickly aging. Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor have trouble staying healthy and are getting on in age (both early 30s).. We'll see if we have a repeat of Marvin Jones/ Mo Lewis tandem in Miami. They won't have to travel far from the stadium to get to that retirement home however. I don't feel their secondary will pose a threat to anyone and even with LJ Shelton I don't know how well this line will do with an injured duck behind center and Sammy morris/ Ronnie brown in their backfield (?!)
    What big names have they signed other than Culpepper?