Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Hawk to visit with the Jets.

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,538

    Post Hawk to visit with the Jets.

    Jets | Hawk to visit
    Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:38:30 -0700

    NFL Draft prospect LB A.J. Hawk (Ohio State) is scheduled for a pre-draft visit with the New York Jets.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,675
    All around no one in this draft defines the Mangini "prototype" better than
    Hawk.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    All around no one in this draft defines the Mangini "prototype" better than
    Hawk.
    I have to agree with you. I think Hawk is the most surefire prospect in the entire draft, just like i thought Vilma was when we got him.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    All around no one in this draft defines the Mangini "prototype" better than
    Hawk.
    although we need O bad, if no prospect (leinart,dbrick,etc) is there/worth #4, i would LOVE to grab hawk, that would be a great start to the draft and if EM wants to go 3-4.

    4-3, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, who gives a **** what we run, the vilma/hawk combo would be SICK.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,582
    Quote Originally Posted by flashlight1

    the vilma/hawk combo would be SICK
    No disputing that

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by flashlight1
    the vilma/hawk combo would be SICK.
    Yeah, but too bad they can't play QB for the Jets in the years to come or block anybody in 2006 and beyond.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Yeah, but too bad they can't play QB for the Jets in the years to come or block anybody in 2006 and beyond.

    I'd rather draft Hawk at #4 and fix our O-Line with the #29 and #35 picks than trade all of them away to NO for Leinart.

  8. #8
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    I'd rather draft Hawk at #4 and fix our O-Line with the #29 and #35 picks than trade all of them away to NO for Leinart.
    TOTALLY, BTW PENNINGTON WILL COME BACK AND WIN GAMES FOR US.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    I'd rather draft Hawk at #4 and fix our O-Line with the #29 and #35 picks than trade all of them away to NO for Leinart.
    True, but the Jets don't have to trade "all of them away" for Leinart. Hell, he may still be there at 4. Young and Cutler would be there as well.

    My position? (1) The Jets have way bigger problems than LB and (2) Hawk is closer to Carpenter in skillset than people give Carpenter credit for and the Jets could have a chance at him with the 29th pick. Thus, they could save the 4th on the likes of Leinart/Young/D'Brick/Mario.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    With the signing of Kassel, I seriously doubt we take Hawk.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    True, but the Jets don't have to trade "all of them away" for Leinart. Hell, he may still be there at 4. Young and Cutler would be there as well.

    My position? (1) The Jets have way bigger problems than LB and (2) Hawk is closer to Carpenter in skillset than people give Carpenter credit for and the Jets could have a chance at him with the 29th pick. Thus, they could save the 4th on the likes of Leinart/Young/D'Brick/Mario.

    Cutler's a reach at #4. Young doesn't fit the Mangini mold. Ferguson is a LT, we need a RT.

    If Leinart falls to us at #4, then great. I highly doubt he will. Mario Williams would be a nice pick, but he could be gone as well. If Williams goes 2nd and Leinart 3rd, I'd want Hawk or trade down and stockpile the draft picks.

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    With the signing of Kassel, I seriously doubt we take Hawk.
    I was just about to point this out. Our starting LB corps is pretty much set, with Hobson, Vilma, Kassell, and Barton. Look for an LB or two later on to provide depth. With Brick probably going at 2, looks like Mario is the pick?

    EDIT: I guess it all depends on how they feel on Hobson. If they see him as a backup, I guess Hawk is the best choice then?
    Last edited by CluJet; 04-10-2006 at 07:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    Cutler's a reach at #4. Young doesn't fit the Mangini mold. Ferguson is a LT, we need a RT.

    If Leinart falls to us at #4, then great. I highly doubt he will. Mario Williams would be a nice pick, but he could be gone as well. If Williams goes 2nd and Leinart 3rd, I'd want Hawk or trade down and stockpile the draft picks.
    Yeah, Cutler is a reach at 4 and if the team wanted him, they should trade back to the 7 or 8 range. But the thing is, we're dealing with the 4th pick with the 1st set. So for 3 slots, we're talking about 4 players (Leinart, Young, D'Brick and Williams) so we know the Jets will definately have a choice of 2 of that 4 when they pick.

    And by the way, again, what is the "Mangini mold" you refer to? Mangini says he wants tough, team oriented players. That's what Vince was his entire career at Texas.

  14. #14
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    True, but the Jets don't have to trade "all of them away" for Leinart. Hell, he may still be there at 4. Young and Cutler would be there as well.

    My position? (1) The Jets have way bigger problems than LB and (2) Hawk is closer to Carpenter in skillset than people give Carpenter credit for and the Jets could have a chance at him with the 29th pick. Thus, they could save the 4th on the likes of Leinart/Young/D'Brick/Mario.
    I agree. Also, if you ask me Hawk would be a better fit as a MLB in the 3-4 than he would an OLB. In the middle we already have Vilma and Kassel, why take A.J.?

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,714
    IMO Hawk wiill NOT be a Jet. I'll bet the ranch on this.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    0
    I think with the signing of Kassel in addition to Chattam.......we wont draft a LB

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    Yeah, Cutler is a reach at 4 and if the team wanted him, they should trade back to the 7 or 8 range. But the thing is, we're dealing with the 4th pick with the 1st set. So for 3 slots, we're talking about 4 players (Leinart, Young, D'Brick and Williams) so we know the Jets will definately have a choice of 2 of that 4 when they pick.

    And by the way, again, what is the "Mangini mold" you refer to? Mangini says he wants tough, team oriented players. That's what Vince was his entire career at Texas.
    The Mangini mold I guess just means more of a game-manager, cerebral type of QB as opposed to the physical freak that Young is.

    By the way, I wouldn't be pissed if we took Brick, I just think he's not the biggest need. Adrian Jones turned out to be pretty good. Put a true RT on the other side and we're good to go at the tackle spots.

  18. #18
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet in Florida
    I think with the signing of Kassel in addition to Chattam.......we wont draft a LB
    I think that if they view Hobson as a starter, then an LB or two will be added later on for depth. However, if they feel that Hawk cannot be passed up, then Hobson will provide us with a solid backup OLB.

    If they can convince me that Mario WILL fit in their defense, then they should by all means select him. I think it's possible, but I still have some doubts.

    I guess there is still a chance a QB is taken, as well.

    All of this is assuming that Brick is gone before our choice.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CluJet
    I think that if they view Hobson as a starter, then an LB or two will be added later on for depth. However, if they feel that Hawk cannot be passed up, then Hobson will provide us with a solid backup OLB.

    If they can convince me that Mario WILL fit in their defense, then they should by all means select him. I think it's possible, but I still have some doubts.

    I guess there is still a chance a QB is taken, as well.

    All of this is assuming that Brick is gone before our choice.
    This is just how the offseason is going. Its silent treatment. We have no idea which way Tangini is going. I like the suspense. I just dont see them going for Hawk. He is great no doubt. However, it seems that they are not looking for the superstar at that position. It looks like they want position guys. It either Mario, DBrick, or we will make a move for a QB JMO

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    The Mangini mold I guess just means more of a game-manager, cerebral type of QB as opposed to the physical freak that Young is.

    You hit the nail on the head. Mangini has stressed over and over again that he wants guys with top intangibles. Neither Cutler or Young fit this description. That's why I believe if we take any QB in round 1 it will be Leinart. He has top flight intangibles while guys like Cutler and Young have all the tools.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us