Thread: Espn Draft Article

Espn Draft Article

Does anyone have Espn Insider, they have a article on the front page of the NFL section with a picture of Jay Cutler there saying "Jet Plans?" would you report it or just give us a review of what it says

All League
    Saints could deal second pick
    Insider
    By Todd McShay
    Scouts Inc.
    Archive

Sources inside the Saints' organization say the team has not received a call from the Jets -- or any other team -- regarding a potential trade for the second overall pick. However, it is still extremely early in the process.

The Jets reportedly have orchestrated a six-day, three-quarterback scouting extravaganza. Members of their front office and selected coaches will privately work out Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler on Sunday, USC's Matt Leinart next Tuesday and Texas' Vince Young on April 20.

The Jets hope to finalize their ranking of the top three quarterbacks in this year's draft. Should they fall in love with one of the three, and for whatever reason fear he might not be available at No. 4 overall, they aggressively would seek a trade to leapfrog the Titans at No. 3. Such an approach would be a monumental mistake.

The Jets are one of only two teams (Broncos, too) who own two first-round picks (Nos. 4 and 29). They also own seven of the first 117 overall draft selections, more than any other team. Rather than packaging some of those picks to move up, the Jets would be wise to keep all seven to address their most glaring needs (QB, OT, RB, OLB) and improve the overall depth of their roster.

Even if the Jets lose out on their preferred quarterback by sticking at No. 4, they still will land an elite prospect to fill an area of need, such as Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Ohio State OLB A.J. Hawk. By keeping the 29th overall pick, the Jets should be able to find a second impact player in the first round. Candidates include RBs Laurence Maroney (Minnesota) and LenDale White, OT Marcus McNeill (Auburn), and OLB Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State). The Jets will be a better team if they exit the first round with Ferguson and Maroney as opposed to just Leinart or Young.

New head coach Eric Mangini does not hold the same personnel power his mentor, Bill Belichick, has with the Patriots. However, Mangini was around to witness the entire rebuilding process, which included a drafting strategy of "more is better." Mangini has a firm grasp on the concept and undoubtedly will attempt to impart some of that wisdom to newly appointed general manager Mike Tannenbaum. It would be prudent for Tannenbaum to listen.

Broncos not looking up

Despite much speculation, do not expect the Broncos to package their two first-round selections in an attempt to move into the top five. Coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Ted Sundquist agree the team's window to make a Super Bowl run is closing rapidly and the wiser move is to find two players who can contribute immediately rather than packaging the picks for one elite, but high-priced prospect.

As of right now, the game plan is to use the 15th overall selection on the best available wide receiver, running back or tight end prospect, then address one of the other two remaining needs with the best available prospect still on the board at pick No. 22. If Denver selects a running back or wide receiver with its initial first-round pick, it will strongly consider offers to trade out of the 22nd spot. Don't be surprised if the Broncos move out of the first round completely with that second pick, knowing they can get an impact player from a deep class of tight ends. Two tight ends they are targeting in that scenario are Notre Dame's Anthony Fasano and Colorado's Joe Klopfenstein.

Ravens in no rush

The Ravens plan to select a quarterback on Day 1 of the draft, just not in the first round. The team knows Leinart and Young will be long gone by the time it drafts at No. 13, and Baltimore doesn't view Cutler as a significant improvement over existing starter Kyle Boller.

It's no secret the Ravens are holding out hope of landing QB Steve McNair, who is in the midst of a bitter contract battle with the Titans' front office. Regardless, the Ravens are prepared to either use their second-round selection on a quarterback, such as Alabama's Brodie Croyle, or deal some of their eight Day 2 picks to reacquire a third-round pick to use on a developmental third quarterback.

As for the 13th overall selection, the Ravens are not as high on USC OT Winston Justice as originally thought. The team has its sights set on Texas' Michael Huff, Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley, Oregon DT Haloti Ngata and Florida State OLB Ernie Sims -- in that order. General manager Ozzie Newsome also will entertain trade offers.

News and notes

Rather than bolting to the NFL a year early, Tennessee DB Jason Allen returned to school for his senior season in 2005 hoping to solidify a spot in the top half of the first round of this year's draft. A tweener cornerback/free safety prospect, Allen was enjoying a successful season at cornerback before suffering a season-ending dislocated hip in Game 5 versus Georgia.

As expected, his stock immediately plummeted because of concerns about his durability. Allen was able to ease some of those concerns when he showed up healthy at the scouting combine and ran both his 40-yard dash attempts in the low 4.4-second range. At that point, NFL teams reportedly were viewing him as a first-round prospect again.

However, Allen has since failed at least two physicals administered privately by NFL teams. With that news spreading like wildfire, Allen's stock is declining again, and it wouldn't be surprising to see the 6-foot-1, 209-pound defensive back slip to the middle of the second round -- or even beyond that point.

OG/OT Kevin Boothe (Cornell) has been considered one of the top small-school prospects in the 2006 draft class since the start of the 2005 college football season. Unfortunately for Boothe, his stock has begun to plummet at the worst possible time. Boothe always has carried red flags regarding his durability, as he suffered multiple injuries throughout his collegiate career (thumb, right ankle, broken bones in right and left hands), but none of the injuries was considered a long-term concern.

I have learned from two separate teams, however, that Boothe will not pass their physical examinations because of degenerative injury concerns. At one point, Boothe was viewed as a potential third-round prospect. Given his shaky health status, teams are unlikely to take a chance on the him before Round 5.

Georgia Tech DC Reuben Houston has been sentenced to a nine-month probation on felony drug charges connected to a marijuana-distribution ring. Houston once was considered a potential Day 1 draft pick, but his stock has plummeted since the incident. The good news for Houston is that he avoided jail time. However, on top of obvious character concerns, Houston failed to crack the 4.6-plateau in the 40-yard dash and turned in a rather unimpressive overall workout at the combine as well as at Georgia Tech's pro day.

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32
    RANK NAME POS CLASS SCHOOL PREV
    1. Reggie Bush RB JR USC 1
    2. Mario Williams DE JR N.C. State 2
    3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT SR Virginia 4
    4. Matt Leinart QB SR USC 3
    5. A.J. Hawk OLB SR Ohio State 5
    6. Vince Young QB JR Texas 9
    7. Vernon Davis TE JR Maryland 6
    8. Michael Huff DB SR Texas 7
    9. Brodrick Bunkley DT SR Florida State 11
    10. Winston Justice OT JR USC 8
    11. Haloti Ngata DT JR Oregon 10
    12. Ernie Sims OLB JR Florida State 14
    13. Jay Cutler QB SR Vanderbilt 12
    14. Jimmy Williams DC SR Virginia Tech 19
    15. Kamerion Wimbley DE SR Florida State 24
    16. Tye Hill DC SR Clemson 17
    17. Chad Jackson WR JR Florida 15
    18. DeAngelo Williams RB SR Memphis 13
    19. Santonio Holmes WR JR Ohio State 16
    20. Laurence Maroney RB JR Minnesota 18
    21. Jonathan Joseph DC JR South Carolina 21
    22. Chad Greenway OLB SR Iowa 20
    23. Antonio Cromartie DC JR Florida State 26
    24. LenDale White RB JR USC 25
    25. Manny Lawson DE JR NC State 27
    26. Donte Whitner DS JR Ohio State 31
    27. Mathias Kiwanuka DE SR Boston College 22
    28. Sinorice Moss WR SR Miami-Fla. 32
    29. Nick Mangold OC SR Ohio State 28
    30. Ashton Youboty DC JR Ohio State 23
    31. Kelly Jennings DC SR Miami-Fla. NR
    32. Bobby Carpenter OLB SR Ohio State NR

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

All League
    I won't be the tiniest bit surprised if the Jets trade back with the Raiders and pick Cutler at #7. Today (and this could change) The Draft looks like this to me.

1 Reggie Bush - Texans
    2 D'Brickishaw Ferguson - Saints
    3 Matt Leinart - Titans
    4 Vince Young - Raiders trade with Jets, Jets get Oaklands 2nd rounder or more
    5 Mario Williams - Packers
    6 Vernon Davis - 49ers
    7 Jay Cutler - Jets

This isn't based on my logic, i would probably sit tight and take mario, but i just have this feeling the Jets really like Cutler.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    I won't be the tiniest bit surprised if the Jets trade back with the Raiders and pick Cutler at #7. Today (and this could change) The Draft looks like this to me.

1 Reggie Bush - Texans
    3 Matt Leinart - Titans
    6 Vernon Davis - 49ers
    7 Jay Cutler - Jets

This isn't based on my logic, i would probably sit tight and take mario, but i just have this feeling the Jets really like Cutler.

Do you think Davis will give us a second and a 3rd for this swap? How about a first next year?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No matter what anyone says, I can't see the Jets taking Cutler. Mangini has been preaching about intangibles ever since he got here. Jay is a tools guy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan
    Do you think Davis will give us a second and a 3rd for this swap? How about a first next year?
    A 1st next year for us to get the player we still want? A 2nd and a 3rd? Their second in this draft would be a steal if we are targeting Ngata or Cutler and dropped down to 7 to get him. In a draft with 40+ first round grades the draft value chart goes out the window.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with the basic premise of : the jets should stay where they are

if we trade up one spot, I will jump out a window. We are not 1 player away from being a legit contender (duh) we should trade down if anything. I want to come away from this draft with 2-3 o-lineman and 1-2 d-lineman.

we need young, big, bad dudes to set the tone. williams and d'brick fit the bill at 4 nicely

Veteran
    If this was the scenario it is Hawk not Cutler.

Banned
    I am in complete agreement with this article... DO NOT TRADE UP!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa

1 Reggie Bush - Texans
    3 Matt Leinart - Titans
    6 Vernon Davis - 49ers
    7 Jay Cutler - Jets

This would be great if the draft fell this way, but would there be a team out there willing to trade up with either the Pack or 49ers to then jump ahead of the Jets and nab Cutler...

then what?!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetChefJR
    This would be great if the draft fell this way, but would there be a team out there willing to trade up with either the Pack or 49ers to then jump ahead of the Jets and nab Cutler...

then what?!
    I would have to say, then take Ngata or Hawk if he's still there. There are plenty of Elite prospects where we can fall down from #4 to #7 and still get a blue chip guy. Because of this there is no true risk involved in the trade down unless the Jets have targeted a player they feel they can't miss out on under any circumstance. Then you just stay put at #4 and take your guy.