Thread: Todd McShay ESPN Mock Draft

Undrafted Free Agent

Todd McShay ESPN Mock Draft

He has Leinart going at 2 to the Saints, and the Jets passing on Mario Williams to take Ferguson so I don't know how accurate this is. Seems like a lot of the "experts" have the Jets taking Ferguson and then a running back either at 29 or 35.

4. New York Jets (4-12)
    Top five needs: RB, OT, OLB, QB, OG
    The pick: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

29. New York Jets (4-12)
    Pick acquired from Broncos
    Top five needs: RB, OT, QB, OG, CB

35. N.Y. Jets
    Jason Allen | DB | Tennessee

All League
    Disagree on Allen, the Jets are in OK shape in the seconary. They have youth, speed, athleticism, and experience.

But McShay is right on the money in terms of what the Jets should do at the top of the draft.

All League
    IMHO Brick is the best pick for the Jets if Bush and Leinart are off the board, great value that fits a need, win-win if he is still available at 4. If they follow up with Carpenter and Addai at 29 and 35, Jets could be fun to watch in 2006

Undrafted Free Agent
    The one thing that bugs me a little bit about the Ferguson pick is that Mel Kiper was saying the other day that he's a little below the level of a Ogden and some of the other big time left tackles that have gone high in the draft over the last 10 years or so. Is it really worth picking him w/ other impact players available just because its a position of need?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergh22
    The one thing that bugs me a little bit about the Ferguson pick is that Mel Kiper was saying the other day that he's a little below the level of a Ogden and some of the other big time left tackles that have gone high in the draft over the last 10 years or so. Is it really worth picking him w/ other impact players available just because its a position of need?
    I am with you 100%. I doubt that Ferguson will be a much better pro than Justice, Winston or McNeil. In fact, I would be fine with Callahan or Trueblood at RT.

There is no way I take that guy at 4 when I should be able get at one these players at 29, 35 or with the first of our third round picks.

The 4th pick HAS to be an IMPACT PLAYER.

Undrafted Free Agent
    If Leinart or Williams really are there I think the Jets have to grab one of them. If not then I think they have to seriously consider Hawk or Young, or even a trade down.

And what does he have us picking at 29?

All League
    for some reason this doesn't say who we pick at 29?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Sorry, here's the 29 pick.

29. New York Jets (4-12)
    Top five needs: RB, OT, QB, OG, CB
    The pick: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

Undrafted Free Agent
    Another interesting bit of information that I'm guessing some people already know about. Not worth the price to move up unless they are absolutely convinced he's the real deal.

For the Jets to move up to No. 2, they would need to give up both of their first-round picks, No. 4 overall (worth 1,800 points) and No. 29 overall (acquired from Denver via Atlanta and worth 640 points), as well as their original third round pick No. 71 (worth 235 points). New York would retain its second-round pick, No. 35 overall, and a compensatory pick at the end of the third round, No. 97 overall.
    -- Todd McShay

All League
    I actually kinda like the Jason Allen pick...he's a versatile DB that can play CB or S...ballhawk with great speed and tackling ability. would be good value at #35...some people are projecting that he re-entered rd. 1 because he is over the injury that knocked him out of it.

All Pro
    Allen would be a great pick at 35. How can you think that the jets dont have need for him. Dyson is a nickel, Miller is unroven and Barret is servicable at best and will have a cap hit of 4-5 mill a year over the next two years. IMO Allen has the potential to be an impact player and was rated a top 3 corner befor the start of the year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I agree with one of the previous posters that the Jets should take someone besides Allen. I don't think Dyson was signed to be a nickel corner, and at least Miller has a season behind him and showed some potential at the end of last season. The Jets have too many needs to be drafting a corner that high.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    D'Brick, Maroney and then the best available OLB or TE would be a dream draft for me.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Here's his updated and complete mock draft:

4. New York Jets (4-12)
    Top-five needs: RB, OT, OLB, QB, OG
    The pick: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

29. New York Jets (4-12):
    Top-five needs: RB, OT, OLB, QB, OG
    The pick: +Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

35. N.Y. Jets
    Thomas Howard | OLB | UTEP

71. N.Y. Jets