Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leinart : to the JETS ? ? ? ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Question Leinart : to the JETS ? ? ? ~ ~ ~

from Pro Football Talk :

LEINART CAMP TRYING TO PERSUADE TITANS TO TAKE MATT

The same source who tipped us off over the weekend to the looming termination of agent Leigh Steinberg by USC quarterback Matt Leinart tells us that the driving force behind the change was the lack of interest that the Titans were demonstrating in the 2004 Heisman winner.The source says that Titans G.M. Floyd Reese is leaning toward Texas quarterback Vince Young, and Titans coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow want Leinart.

The source also tells us that Chow recently informed Leinart that Reese won't trade up to the No. 1 overall spot in order to get Leinart.Co-agent Chuck Price, who will remain a member of Team Leinart in the wake of the Steinberg termination, supposedly has told Reese that the failure to land Leinart will be the biggest draft gaffe in team history.

Apparently, Reese is now on the fence.

Per the source, Leinart will sign with Tom Condon after the five-day waiting period expires following Leinart's termination, and Condon and Price will work together. Condon's pitch, as we recently heard, was that he'll get either the Titans or the Jets to trade up to No. 1 with the Houston Texans.

The long-term plan, we're told, is for Price to learn the ropes of the agent business over the next couple of years, with an eye toward being the lead agent for Leinart's second contract. (We suspect that Condon hasn't gotten that memo.)The broader question, as we see it, is whether these goings-on will raise a red flag for any team that otherwise will be interested in Leinart. There's already a question as to whether he has a sufficient passion for the pro game. And his pro day workout was hardly a show stopper.

So by trying to force his way into the No. 1 spot, the risk could be that Leinart slides even lower than he otherwise might have gone.

Hall Of Fame
    If the Jets traded up to number 1 and took Leinart rather than Bush I'd have an aneurism

Veteran
    Sorry - His arm isn't strong enough for 'Giants' stadium.

If it happens - Get use to this:
    Leinart just threw another fluttering pass that got intercepted.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Something about him just makes me feel uneasy. I don't want him.

All League
    I think the move is to prevent Leinart from falling to #4. It has nothing to do with the Jets it is the difference in compensation of #1 or #2 vice #4.

No way he goes #1 and the way the chips were/are falling, he was getting passed on by three teams. What is even worse, is that all three teams linked to him (4 if you include Oakland) have starting QB's for next season. Now he won't be able to hold a team hostage.

All Pro
    kelly,

You've posted a lot of draft threads in the main forum. I enjoy reading your posts, just please put them in the right forum for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    If the Jets traded up to number 1 and took Leinart rather than Bush I'd have an aneurism
    I couldn't agree more. If you think that you've seen Jets fans go nuts after a bad pick in year's past...
    I can only imagine the large-scale rioting that will ensue if the Jets trade up to #1 only to take Matt Leinart! Are you friggin' kidding me? How the hell can anybody in their right mind suggest taking Leinart over Bush? I don't get all of the Leinart love from Jets fans. He's a left-handed Chad Pennington, complete with pre-existing arm troubles. Unbelievable people. Really. Buy a clue.

Jets trade up to No 1 for Leinart? Tangini would have to be brainwashed to let that happen. We don't want him that bad. If he falls, we might consider him. But I don't think we have much enthusiasm for him.

Fact is, I'm not so sure trading up to No.1 for Bush is even a smart play. It would cost too much. THen in training camp he pulls a muscle. Forget it. Stay put or trade down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    I would $hit out my intestines...on purpose....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregfromthebx
    Something about him just makes me feel uneasy. I don't want him.
    I'm with ya. Maybe I'll (we'll) be wrong, but I'd rather pick D'Brick
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-14-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocomment
    Jets trade up to No 1 for Leinart? Tangini would have to be brainwashed to let that happen. We don't want him that bad. If he falls, we might consider him. But I don't think we have much enthusiasm for him.

Fact is, I'm not so sure trading up to No.1 for Bush is even a smart play. It would cost too much. THen in training camp he pulls a muscle. Forget it. Stay put or trade down.
    YOU DON'T WANT HIM THAT BAD... I AND A CRAP LOAD OF OTHERS DO...PLEASE GO TO SLEEP...FOREVER...YOU ARE CLUELESS IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT COST RATHER THEN WINNING...

Veteran

One play

If the draft starts now, Bush goes one and there was no deal.

I think New Orleans phone rings but there isn't enough offered for them to trade, they just take Super-Mario.

Then Tennessee gets the Jets on the phone and talk about swapping. The Jets do want Leinert, but the don't want to give up the #29 or #36. Nothing happens. Leinart goes to Tennessee because the clock is running out and they are still talking compensation.

The jets take Vince Young and work out a trade with the Titans for Leinart.

Same thing happened with Eli and the Giants.

Veteran

Cents & Sensibilities

Quote Originally Posted by PMCRW
    YOU DON'T WANT HIM THAT BAD... I AND A CRAP LOAD OF OTHERS DO...PLEASE GO TO SLEEP...FOREVER...YOU ARE CLUELESS IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT COST RATHER THEN WINNING...

It would definitely cost too much to go to #1 when you have as many needs as the Jets do.
    It would be MORE ASININE to go to #1 and not take Bush.

I think the Jets will sit at 4 and MAYBE MAYBE give up the 3rd rounder to swap with Tennessee if the Titans truly wanted Young over Matt.
    Last edited by Jetsound; 04-14-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    This doesn't sound good. I agree with Beerfish, get Bush if we trade up. Leinart will probably fall to #4 but why do we have to have him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsound
    It would definately cost too much to go to #1 when you have as many needs as the Jets do.
    It would be MORE RETARDED to go to #1 and not take Bush.

I think the Jets will sit at 4 and MAYBE MAYBE give up the 3rd rounder to swap with Tennessee if the Titans truly wanted Young over Matt.
    Common man, watch using the word "retarded" on this board. A lot of people get offended by this language.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider
    kelly,

You've posted a lot of draft threads in the main forum. I enjoy reading your posts, just please put them in the right forum for me. Thanks.
    Wow. That's alot nicer then the way you approached me.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider
    Arod- we have a draft forum....you should know that by now.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-14-2006 at 03:48 PM.

All League
    Nothing short of the Jedi mind trick will get Leinart to #1...
    I think Tennessee wants him, but not enough to move up.

All Pro
    If Tenn. is reportedly split on whether to take Leinart or Vince Young first, I really don't see them trading up to No. 1 to get either.

Likewise, the Jets should stay put, too.

Veteran
    i would not draft him based on his agent tom condon

Undrafted Free Agent
    the only thing i fear with swapping with tennessee is that someone else comes out of nowhere and trades for the #2 spot with NO, and screws us over in our quest for leinart. given that bush is pretty much a lock at #1, the safest move is to trade up with NO and lock up leinart at #2. its true that he could possibly fall to #4, and i think that makes a lot of people not want to trade up for him. but the fact of the matter is, leinart is the top rated quarterback in the draft, and theres a reason for that, and if the titans have a straight head on the day of the draft, there going to take him, and were going to lose out on the savior of this franchise. believe me, i would love nothing more than to have the saints take williams, the titans take young and us take leinart. that'd be great b/c we get him cheaper as well. but the odds of that happening are slim, we need to make a move.