Thread: My Jets 4 round Mock Draft

All League

My Jets 4 round Mock Draft

Flame away !

1 (4) - OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia (6'6, 312, 5.1e)

Summary: Ferguson isn't going to be a mauler in the running game, at least not early in his career, but he is the top pass protecting tackle since Orlando Pace and Walter Jones were drafted in '97. Good character, exceptional athletic ability, schooled under a former NFL coach in Groh, who Mangini is familiar with. A safe, low-risk pick that will pay huge dividends for the Jets.

Outlook: Starting LT in 2006. He's arguably already a better option than Adrian Jones, who will likely be moved to RT. Rumors abound that the Jets are interested in former Jags OT Mike Pearson, but due to past injuries, he would likely only provide depth or possibly challenge Jones for the RT job. Cavka is a bust and Scott Gragg is finished, so a starting OT tandem of Ferguson-Jones is very likely next year. Look for the Jets to implement a Denver-style run blocking scheme, where mobility and athleticism are the most important factors rather than size and power.

1 (29) OLB/DE Manny Lawson, NC State (6'5, 241, 4.46)

Summary: No, that 40 time is not a misprint, the guy has WR speed at 6'5, 241 lbs. Overshadowed a bit by Mario Williams, Lawson was productive in his own right, notching 58 tackles and 10 1/2 sacks. I am a huge fan of players who have the collegiate productivity to match incredible measurables. (unlike DeWayne Robertson) Classic rush-OLB in a 3-4 scheme, Lawson will play the position John Abraham was expected to fill before Herm took over and shifted to a 4-3 scheme.

Outlook: Situational pass-rusher in 2006. Heíll be used similar to how the Jets used Abraham in 2000, utilizing his incredible speed against weary offensive tackles late in the 4th quarter. With his athleticism he should fill in nicely on special teams immediately (7 blocked kicks in college). Not strong or refined enough to start right now, the Jets will have to work him in slowly, but in the end it will be worth it.

2 (35) OC Nick Mangold, Ohio St. (6í3, 300, 5.08)

Summary: Another very low-risk pick along the OL, Mangold would be a steal at this spot. Very mobile, athletic center from a good college program. Smart, durable, and a true leader. Great technician. Not a true mauler, but it appears the Jets arenít headed in that direction along the OL, anyway.

Outlook: Starting RG in 2006. With the signing of Trey Teague, the Jets do not need to insert Mangold at such a key position from the outset. He has the smarts, talent and athleticism to move over to guard, and then shift back over to center once Teague is gone. Playing next to Teague, an experienced veteran who is known to be very responsible in his assignments, will only help him. Brandon Moore is mediocre. OL is a key element to a football team and the Jets can, and should, do better than Moore.

3 (71) RB Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin (5í9, 201, 4.6)

Summary: Quick, productive RB who is worth taking a shot at this point in the draft. Ran a much slower time than expected at the combine, but thatíll only help the Jets in terms of Calhoun falling to them. Anyone who saw him play at Wisconsin knows he is not a 4.6 runner. If the Jets are indeed headed in the direction of a athletic, mobile OL ala Denver and Atlanta, Calhoun makes a ton of sense as his running style is perfect for that scheme.

Outlook: Backup RB in 2006. The bet here is he beats out Cedric Houston for the final RB spot. Blaylock will make it for his special teams ability more than anything else. But I feel Calhoun will impress more in the preseason than Houston and Blaylock as a pure runner, and win the job as Martinís backup.

3 (97) DT Babatunde Oshinowo, Stanford (6í1, 304, 5.34)

Summary: The Jets need more big-bodied DTs for their new 3-4 scheme. Oshinowo is a very smart, athletic player who projects well as a NT in the next level. There are concerns that he may actually be too intellectual for the position, but I doubt ďtoo smartĒ is something that will scare off Tangini.

Outlook: Starting NT in 2006. Surprise ! He may not start the entire year, but heíll end up with more NT starts than anyone else on the roster. Robertson has a bad knee and Pouha is not very impressive at all. So itíll come down to Oshinowo and Monsanto Pope. The bet here is that Oshinowo wins that competition.

4 (103) ILB/OLB Kai Parham, Virginia (6í3, 256, 5.05)

Summary: Parham is a natural fit for the Jets - smart, versatile, and has good character. Plus, he played in Grohís 3-4 defense at Virginia. Tough, strong, and a good tackler, although does not have the best athleticism in the world. Can play either ILB or OLB. Posted 103 tackles, 8 1/2 sacks in 12 starts in 2005.

Outlook: Backup LB in 2006. I actually do believe heíll start, but projecting 4 2006 starters from a draft is pushing it, so Iíll say heíll be a backup. I donít see Barton and Hobson as Mangini players and have a feeling one will be cut or released before the season started. Also, there are rumblings that all the BT-to-OLB stuff is just speculation, and may not happen at all. That would also help Parhamís cause in 2006.

4 (117) WR Hank Baskett, New Mexico (6í3, 224, 4.51)

Summary: Big, athletic receiver who runs excellent routes. Not quick or sudden and takes time to build up speed. Good redzone target.

Outlook: Backup receiver in 2006. I have a feeling the Jets will cut Justin McCareins if Cotchery impresses in training camp. Itís his 3rd season - time to find out of Cotchery can be a productive receiver. He has the toughness and route running skill to be a #2, but he needs a legitimate shot. I think the Jets will give him it at the expense of the highly-overrated McCareins. Baskett, then, should be able to compete for the 3rd WR spot with Tim Dwight, as well as any other veteran they may bring in. Iím not expecting much from Jovan Witherspoon or Dante Ridgeway, so Baskett has a chance to contribute.

All Pro
    Nice job early. No way we get Calhoun at 71 though. He apparently ran a sub-4.4 on Wisconsin's pro day, which puts him in the mid- to -high second round, a neighborhood his production merits.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSRULE05
    Flame away !

1 (4) - OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia (6'6, 312, 5.1e)

Summary: Ferguson isn't going to be a mauler in the running game, at least not early in his career, but he is the top pass protecting tackle since Orlando Pace and Walter Jones were drafted in '97. Good character, exceptional athletic ability, schooled under a former NFL coach in Groh, who Mangini is familiar with. A safe, low-risk pick that will pay huge dividends for the Jets.

Outlook: Starting LT in 2006. He's arguably already a better option than Adrian Jones, who will likely be moved to RT. Rumors abound that the Jets are interested in former Jags OT Mike Pearson, but due to past injuries, he would likely only provide depth or possibly challenge Jones for the RT job. Cavka is a bust and Scott Gragg is finished, so a starting OT tandem of Ferguson-Jones is very likely next year. Look for the Jets to implement a Denver-style run blocking scheme, where mobility and athleticism are the most important factors rather than size and power.

1 (29) OLB/DE Manny Lawson, NC State (6'5, 241, 4.46)

Summary: No, that 40 time is not a misprint, the guy has WR speed at 6'5, 241 lbs. Overshadowed a bit by Mario Williams, Lawson was productive in his own right, notching 58 tackles and 10 1/2 sacks. I am a huge fan of players who have the collegiate productivity to match incredible measurables. (unlike DeWayne Robertson) Classic rush-OLB in a 3-4 scheme, Lawson will play the position John Abraham was expected to fill before Herm took over and shifted to a 4-3 scheme.

Outlook: Situational pass-rusher in 2006. Heíll be used similar to how the Jets used Abraham in 2000, utilizing his incredible speed against weary offensive tackles late in the 4th quarter. With his athleticism he should fill in nicely on special teams immediately (7 blocked kicks in college). Not strong or refined enough to start right now, the Jets will have to work him in slowly, but in the end it will be worth it.

2 (35) OC Nick Mangold, Ohio St. (6í3, 300, 5.08)

Summary: Another very low-risk pick along the OL, Mangold would be a steal at this spot. Very mobile, athletic center from a good college program. Smart, durable, and a true leader. Great technician. Not a true mauler, but it appears the Jets arenít headed in that direction along the OL, anyway.

Outlook: Starting RG in 2006. With the signing of Trey Teague, the Jets do not need to insert Mangold at such a key position from the outset. He has the smarts, talent and athleticism to move over to guard, and then shift back over to center once Teague is gone. Playing next to Teague, an experienced veteran who is known to be very responsible in his assignments, will only help him. Brandon Moore is mediocre. OL is a key element to a football team and the Jets can, and should, do better than Moore.

3 (71) RB Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin (5í9, 201, 4.6)

Summary: Quick, productive RB who is worth taking a shot at this point in the draft. Ran a much slower time than expected at the combine, but thatíll only help the Jets in terms of Calhoun falling to them. Anyone who saw him play at Wisconsin knows he is not a 4.6 runner. If the Jets are indeed headed in the direction of a athletic, mobile OL ala Denver and Atlanta, Calhoun makes a ton of sense as his running style is perfect for that scheme.

Outlook: Backup RB in 2006. The bet here is he beats out Cedric Houston for the final RB spot. Blaylock will make it for his special teams ability more than anything else. But I feel Calhoun will impress more in the preseason than Houston and Blaylock as a pure runner, and win the job as Martinís backup.

3 (97) DT Babatunde Oshinowo, Stanford (6í1, 304, 5.34)

Summary: The Jets need more big-bodied DTs for their new 3-4 scheme. Oshinowo is a very smart, athletic player who projects well as a NT in the next level. There are concerns that he may actually be too intellectual for the position, but I doubt ďtoo smartĒ is something that will scare off Tangini.

Outlook: Starting NT in 2006. Surprise ! He may not start the entire year, but heíll end up with more NT starts than anyone else on the roster. Robertson has a bad knee and Pouha is not very impressive at all. So itíll come down to Oshinowo and Monsanto Pope. The bet here is that Oshinowo wins that competition.

4 (103) ILB/OLB Kai Parham, Virginia (6í3, 256, 5.05)

Summary: Parham is a natural fit for the Jets - smart, versatile, and has good character. Plus, he played in Grohís 3-4 defense at Virginia. Tough, strong, and a good tackler, although does not have the best athleticism in the world. Can play either ILB or OLB. Posted 103 tackles, 8 1/2 sacks in 12 starts in 2005.

Outlook: Backup LB in 2006. I actually do believe heíll start, but projecting 4 2006 starters from a draft is pushing it, so Iíll say heíll be a backup. I donít see Barton and Hobson as Mangini players and have a feeling one will be cut or released before the season started. Also, there are rumblings that all the BT-to-OLB stuff is just speculation, and may not happen at all. That would also help Parhamís cause in 2006.

4 (117) WR Hank Baskett, New Mexico (6í3, 224, 4.51)

Summary: Big, athletic receiver who runs excellent routes. Not quick or sudden and takes time to build up speed. Good redzone target.

Outlook: Backup receiver in 2006. I have a feeling the Jets will cut Justin McCareins if Cotchery impresses in training camp. Itís his 3rd season - time to find out of Cotchery can be a productive receiver. He has the toughness and route running skill to be a #2, but he needs a legitimate shot. I think the Jets will give him it at the expense of the highly-overrated McCareins. Baskett, then, should be able to compete for the 3rd WR spot with Tim Dwight, as well as any other veteran they may bring in. Iím not expecting much from Jovan Witherspoon or Dante Ridgeway, so Baskett has a chance to contribute.
    Love it! One question though, if we implement Denver's blocking scheme why not take McNeil at 35 and Eslinger with our earlier third round pick. Eslinger would flourish as an athletic center in the zone blocking scheme. Still even this way I am a pretty big fan.

-TheMo

All Pro
    1st 4 picks are near perfect...not sure if Lawson, Langold, and Calhoun will be there are the respective places but nonethless, well done.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Nice job 05. I really like the Calhoun pick.

All League
    that would be a great first 4 rounds. Not my first choice on some picks but you're getting many impact players...I like it