Thread: lefty qb offensive line impact

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

lefty qb offensive line impact

(mod's - i posted this yesterday with a specific thought of if we were to pick leinart how would that affect our OL and it was moved to the draft forum and forgotten about. i'm more just trying to get some feedback regarding if the entire philosophy of run-centric players on the right side of the OL and pass protect players on the left side changes if a team gets a left handed signal caller ... if we can leave the topic on the main board long enough for anyone to answer i'd appreciate )

... guys, i wasn't astute enough when boomer was here to notice ...

with a lefty Qb that will change the philosophy regarding the pass protect and run blocking sides of the OL correct ?

am i right in thinking that we would run predominantly to the left side of the OL and have our RT in the pass protect mode ?

... if so and the target is leinart then adrian jones pass protection skillset as well as experience at the right tackle position could be alluring to tangini ...

any thoughts ?

thanks - l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Choosing Leinart doesn't cause immediate problems unless you figure he plays from the getgo. I don't think that happens or else we wouldn't have signed Ramsey and Pennington.

Leinart puts our line in better shape in that we now have a blindside right tackle. It also causes our runners and TE to adapt to the new OL stadegies.

All Pro
    Great question l_j_r.

I actually don't think it changes the normal philosophy. A team would still be generally more right handed in the running game with the TE lined up on the right hand side the majority of sets. No reason for this to change because of a left handed QB. Therefore, you would still want a powerful run blocking RT.

On passing, there are three primary reasons why teams put their best pass protecting OT on the left hand side.

1. To protect a right handed QB's blind side.
    2. Most teams, due to the historical predominance of right handed QBs, and the fact that great pass rushers are often not great against the run, put their best pass rushers on that side (the left side of the offense). So you need your best pass blocker to block these guys.
    3. Other than exceptions like Walter Jones, Pace and Ogden, you rarely find a great pass protecting left tackle who is equally as brilliant on run blocking. Therefore, a tackle who is very good at pass blocking and average at run blocking is more of a liability at RT, where again, you generally focus your runs.

Therefore, a left handed QB only changes reason #1 on passes, and has no effect on my reasoning for runs.

In the final analysis, the effect of a left handed QB's impact on normal right vs left offensive philoshies is, your RT should be a better pass blocker than normal in addition to being a good run blocker.
    Last edited by dmaynard; 04-16-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Veteran
    Great Question!

Easy answer.

The roles of right tackle and left tackle are reversed. You'll want you better tackle on the right.

There is a second thing to think of. It takes approximately 2 years for the wide receivers to adjust from the ball spinning the opposite direction. Another words there will be a lot of dropped balls. I still remember the WRs being interviewed about that when Boomer was here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... thanks for the answers & education fella's ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard
    I actually don't think it changes the normal philosophy. A team would still be generally more right handed in the running game with the TE lined up on the right hand side the majority of sets. No reason for this to change because of a left handed QB. Therefore, you would still want a powerful run blocking RT.
    Exactly right maynard. Right side is still the strong-side, having the TE as an extra blocker.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacExchange
    There is a second thing to think of. It takes approximately 2 years for the wide receivers to adjust from the ball spinning the opposite direction. Another words there will be a lot of dropped balls. I still remember the WRs being interviewed about that when Boomer was here.
    That's something I hadn't even considered about a lefty QB. Thanks for posting it!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacExchange
    Great Question!

Easy answer.

The roles of right tackle and left tackle are reversed. You'll want you better tackle on the right.

2 years if it takes them 2 years they are not NFL quality WR's I live down here in Tampa. Chris Simms came in for Griese. Although the WR's said it was an adjustment they said it was no excuse to drop passes. and I think Galloway had one of his best seasons.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike
    2 years if it takes them 2 years they are not NFL quality WR's I live down here in Tampa. Chris Simms came in for Griese. Although the WR's said it was an adjustment they said it was no excuse to drop passes. and I think Galloway had one of his best seasons.

When Boomer was here they has a piece on Jets Journal on MSG. I think it was Rob Moore and his fellow WR's that were interviewed. Rob was a Top Notch WR. Rob didn't drop a lot but others did. I have seen other segments since on this subject. The problem with a lefty QB is that the majority of WR's have been catching passes their whole life from right handed QB's. With a lefty QB the pill comes at a different angle with a reverse spin. I had a lefty throw on my team one year. There was a weird difference.