Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: New Leinart article

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110

    New Leinart article

    Changing agents just felt right

    By Matt Leinart



    My relationship with my former agent Leigh Steinberg wasn't bad by any means, but it just didn't feel right. As hard as it was, I felt like the best thing to do was part ways. My family, the people close to me, and I want what's best for me, my career, and everything that has to do with it. The relationship with Leigh wasn't going that way.

    It was nothing against Leigh, but it was something that had been on my mind for a little while. I decided if I'm going to do something like this, it is best to do it at this time. Things will be better because of it. It just didn't feel right.

    My other agent, Chuck Price, is my right hand man. Everything goes through him. He's my day-to-day guy. I talk to him about everything. People obviously don't know that. They're just thinking that he's just some family friend. He's extremely smart. He's extremely good at what he does. A lot of agents are just business guys and want to make money. He's completely opposite. He's obviously going to make money because it's his job, but he wants what's best for the player. He loves to establish a relationship. The fact that we had a great relationship in the first place makes it that much easier on me.

    Chuck and Leigh had completely different roles. Leigh was brought in to handle the contract because Chuck doesn't have experience with that. It's something that he'll openly admit. He doesn't have experience handling a contract for a top pick. It's something that I realized also.

    I surround myself with the best possible people. They are people that I trust. It relieves a lot of pressure and stress off of me. I have a lot of great people working their butt off for me while I am working my butt off on the football field.

    Tom Condon will take over for Leigh. I love Tom. He was one of my first choices when I was picking an agent, but I was unsure about the whole situation with IMG. I think Tom is a great agent. He's got a great reputation. He's a great guy. I feel a better connection there. The fact that he's with Creative Artists Agency now and they are all under one agency makes it easier as well.

    CAA is the type of agency that can handle my marketing and endorsements for the long term. After I get established as a player, they can help me off of the field. People need to understand that my number one priority is to get established as a football player. CAA will maximize my opportunities off the field.

    The most important thing for me to focus on right now is the next week and a half.

    I wanted to try to relax this past weekend.

    I went to my Aunt's house on Sunday for Easter. We had an Easter egg hunt. My family usually splits up $50 between the eggs. They didn't tell us, but this time they stuck $100 in one of the eggs. I found that egg. I gave my brother Ryan $5 out of generosity. That's courtesy right there. He showed a lot of effort in his Easter egg hunt, but he just couldn't cut it.

    I had to learn the Jets' playbook this past weekend since I worked out and met with them on Monday and Tuesday. I studied it a lot because I wanted to prepare myself. I look at it as if it's a job interview. You want the hard work you put in to come across.

    I went out to Staples and bought a little grease board so I could visually test myself with the Jets' plays. I was able to learn the Jets playbook in a few days. Then, I was able to process it in my mind and draw it up on the board for the coaches. It's just something that has come easy to me especially in a football sense. My brother thinks I have a photographic memory. I guess maybe it is photographic -- I do have a pretty good memory. I've learned to process things quickly and retain the information.

    Monday night, I went to dinner with the Jets. Coach [Eric] Mangini, coach [Brian] Schottenheimer, GM Mike Tannenbaum, and I were at the dinner.

    Following dinner, all of us went to the meeting rooms and just talked football. I was up on the board for like two-and-a-half hours. They were grilling me with questions. Even though they were grilling me, it was real comfortable because there were a lot of jokes. They wanted to get to know me as a person, see how smart I am as a football player, and if I took the time to look at the stuff they gave me or if I just blew it off. We even talked about me getting Punk'd on MTV in March (it hasn't come out yet). They are all younger guys so it was pretty easy to relate. We met until 11:30 p.m Monday night.


    Tuesday, I picked up the coaches. They were staying at a hotel right next to my apartment. I drove over to USC and met with them for another hour and-a-half talking football again. I then walked on the field and worked out. We were making jokes and I told them I could throw right-handed, so I rolled out and did it. It was a little wobbly, but looked alright.

    I love learning football and new things. I think I impressed them and did a good job.

    I left for New Orleans early Wednesday morning to meet with the Saints. Thursday, I will meet with them a little more and then I have a flight out to Oakland in the afternoon. I finish the meetings with the Raiders on Friday and then come home. I'm off for a few days and then I go to New York.

    I can't wait for the draft to come.

  2. #2
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Interesting little read. Matt seems like a good guy who would work very hard and have fun at the same time. Although my favorite part was this:

    "I went to my Aunt's house on Sunday for Easter. We had an Easter egg hunt. My family usually splits up $50 between the eggs. They didn't tell us, but this time they stuck $100 in one of the eggs. I found that egg. I gave my brother Ryan $5 out of generosity. That's courtesy right there. He showed a lot of effort in his Easter egg hunt, but he just couldn't cut it."

    gee wiz, Matty, 5 bucks out of a hundo? don't break the bank there, pal. if I was his brother I would have rammed the fiver down his arrogant, heisman-winning throat. "couldn't cut it" my ass.


  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,511
    I think this should be posted on the main board, I know it has to do with Leinart but it offers a glimpse on how the Jets are working out players that I think is pretty interesting. Just my opinion.

  4. #4
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    I agree... I was going to post it on the landing strip until I noticed Untouchable got it first on the draft forum.

  5. #5
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Yonkers / HolyCross
    Posts
    320
    is that a serious article? I really hope that was made up, because he sounds like an idiot.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,675
    Interesting article. Leinart sounds like a highly motivated and intelligent player. To learn the plays in a few days and then have the ability to draw them up from memory for the Jets coaching staff, is pretty impressive.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    Interesting article. Leinart sounds like a highly motivated and intelligent player. To learn the plays in a few days and then have the ability to draw them up from memory for the Jets coaching staff, is pretty impressive.
    Yeah, could you just IMAGINE what Vince Young's interview was like I love Young's skills but mentally I just don't know

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Leinart
    "I went to my Aunt's house on Sunday for Easter. We had an Easter egg hunt. My family usually splits up $50 between the eggs. They didn't tell us, but this time they stuck $100 in one of the eggs. I found that egg. I gave my brother Ryan $5 out of generosity. That's courtesy right there. He showed a lot of effort in his Easter egg hunt, but he just couldn't cut it."
    I LOVE THIS GUY! Thats how you do that $hit!

    Him mentioning the photographic memory thing is pretty intriguing, and the fact that he learned the Jets playbook in that amount of time is pretty impressive as well...Welcome to NY Matt!

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    is that a serious article? I really hope that was made up, because he sounds like an idiot.
    That's funny, you say he sounds like an idiot but the guy MEMORIZED the Jets playbook in, like, TWO DAYS!!! Yeah, what an idiot.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,582
    I don't buy his explanation about switching agents ... sounds like spin too me

    Caution, you are about to enter a no spin zone

    IMO he switched agents because Leigh Steinberg couldn't walk on water ... couldn't take a top QB prospect with obvious flaws and turn that frog into a prince ... and since this cat, with his sense of celebrity entitlement and his phony california cool facade, is just dilusional enough to believe he deserves the John Elway treatment when he came out of Stanford, he blamed it on his former agent as opposed to looking in the mirror and just realizing his arm leaves much to be desired for a projected HIGH 1 and no amount of super agents can change that perception

    JMO
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 04-20-2006 at 01:29 PM.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    This guy is a prima donna. Forget him.

    No one will be happier than me when Tags comes out and says:

    "With the 3rd pick of the 2006 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select Matt Leinart, QB, Southern California."

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,675
    Based on the limited information we have right now,
    who do you think impressed the Jets more, Leinart or Cutler?
    I'm just curious what everyone's thought process is at right now...

    Personally, I have a feeling Leinart in the Jets QB of choice right now.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    Based on the limited information we have right now,
    who do you think impressed the Jets more, Leinart or Cutler?
    I'm just curious what everyone's thought process is at right now...

    Personally, I have a feeling Leinart in the Jets QB of choice right now.
    I hope not.

    Hopefully the fact that Woodrow saw Cutler, but not Leinart says something.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    41,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman

    Based on the limited information we have right now,
    who do you think impressed the Jets more, Leinart or Cutler?
    I'm just curious what everyone's thought process is at right now...

    Personally, I have a feeling Leinart in the Jets QB of choice right now.
    I think Tangini probably liked Cutler more

  15. #15
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Yonkers / HolyCross
    Posts
    320
    SMC, you're right, memorizing the playbook in such a short time is quite a feat. However, I was more talking about the way he writes, and the details he includes in the article. I understand that the guy obviously has football smarts but his ability to write seems out of whack.

    I'm not a Leinart hater and I'm going to give him credit where it's due. There were some quotes in the passage that definitely put him in a positive light for me, such as:

    I surround myself with the best possible people. They are people that I trust. It relieves a lot of pressure and stress off of me. I have a lot of great people working their butt off for me while I am working my butt off on the football field.

    This is a smart move by Matt, and it is what he should be doing. Focus on ballin it up.

    I had to learn the Jets' playbook this past weekend since I worked out and met with them on Monday and Tuesday. I studied it a lot because I wanted to prepare myself. I look at it as if it's a job interview. You want the hard work you put in to come across.

    Props, Matt, you are on top of things. Keep to the studying--the guys who put in the most effort usually get the most out of things.

    ---But some things really made me wonder about the guy. For instance why the hell does he talk about the easter egg hunt?

    I wanted to try to relax this past weekend.

    I went to my Aunt's house on Sunday for Easter. We had an Easter egg hunt. My family usually splits up $50 between the eggs. They didn't tell us, but this time they stuck $100 in one of the eggs. I found that egg. I gave my brother Ryan $5 out of generosity. That's courtesy right there. He showed a lot of effort in his Easter egg hunt, but he just couldn't cut it.


    This makes him sound terrible, IMO. The fact that he gave his brother 5 dollars out of generosity and says, "that's courtesy right there." What the hell? First off, easter egg hunt? Dude is a college grad right? What the hells he doing looking for eggs. Lol, perhaps thats how he likes to relax. What is he trying to prove by saying that his act was courteous? And, he sounds sooo arrogant calling himself courteous in such a way. Trying too hard it would seem to impress people with his character.

    CAA is the type of agency that can handle my marketing and endorsements for the long term. After I get established as a player, they can help me off of the field. People need to understand that my number one priority is to get established as a football player. CAA will maximize my opportunities off the field.

    Well, he does say that his number one priority is to get established as a football player, but the context in which he says it almost makes it unbelievable. Just the fact that he talks so much about endorsements and such is not a plus, IMO.

    My brother thinks I have a photographic memory. I guess maybe it is photographic -- I do have a pretty good memory. I've learned to process things quickly and retain the information.

    Everyone may disagree with me, but I hate the fact that he continues to focus on himself, and all of his great qualities. I just think that he uses this as an opportunity to further himself in people's eyes. Honestly, Matt, you dont have a photographic memory. stop flattering yourself.


    Tuesday, I picked up the coaches. They were staying at a hotel right next to my apartment. I drove over to USC and met with them for another hour and-a-half talking football again. I then walked on the field and worked out. We were making jokes and I told them I could throw right-handed, so I rolled out and did it. It was a little wobbly, but looked alright.

    This is just another tidbit that gives me the impression that Matt thinks the world of himself. He can probably do everything.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    SMC, you're right, memorizing the playbook in such a short time is quite a feat. However, I was more talking about the way he writes, and the details he includes in the article. I understand that the guy obviously has football smarts but his ability to write seems out of whack.

    I'm not a Leinart hater and I'm going to give him credit where it's due. There were some quotes in the passage that definitely put him in a positive light for me, such as:

    This is a smart move by Matt, and it is what he should be doing. Focus on ballin it up.

    Props, Matt, you are on top of things. Keep to the studying--the guys who put in the most effort usually get the most out of things.

    ---But some things really made me wonder about the guy. For instance why the hell does he talk about the easter egg hunt?

    This makes him sound terrible, IMO. The fact that he gave his brother 5 dollars out of generosity and says, "that's courtesy right there." What the hell? First off, easter egg hunt? Dude is a college grad right? What the hells he doing looking for eggs. Lol, perhaps thats how he likes to relax. What is he trying to prove by saying that his act was courteous? And, he sounds sooo arrogant calling himself courteous in such a way. Trying too hard it would seem to impress people with his character.

    Well, he does say that his number one priority is to get established as a football player, but the context in which he says it almost makes it unbelievable. Just the fact that he talks so much about endorsements and such is not a plus, IMO.

    Everyone may disagree with me, but I hate the fact that he continues to focus on himself, and all of his great qualities. I just think that he uses this as an opportunity to further himself in people's eyes. Honestly, Matt, you dont have a photographic memory. stop flattering yourself.

    This is just another tidbit that gives me the impression that Matt thinks the world of himself. He can probably do everything.
    I've said this before, I think Leinart is one of those smart dumb guys. I've met a bunch of them in my life. He's a goofball. I just don't think that makes him a bad QB.

    But onto your main point about conceit. I hope you're not naive. Leinart Young and Cutler are all egomaniacs. That's the nature of the position.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    I think Tangini probably liked Cutler more
    Ham all im hoping is this.

    The Jets are making one of the biggest decesions in the history of the franchise right now. And I know there putting work into it. Thats all I hope.

    Because lets look at Cutler and Leinart.

    Where do you start? Generally, Bios and scouting reports. Leinart DESTROYS Cutler in a scouting report. To the uninformed man, and the average Jet Fan Leinart is a SLAM Dunk, and Cutler is a hyped reach.

    But then the deeper you look into it, even thought I wanted Leinart to be our Carson Palmer he isnt. The more you look into him, the more holes you find. The opposite can be said for Cutler. The more you find out about Jay the more you life him.

    I mean what was it yesterday that I finally realized that in terms of general intelligence Cutler destroys either QB? In terms of the playbook, Jay has been the leader and a (All-acc?) QB since Freshman year.

    I just think, the more HW the Jets did, the more they would swing to Cutler.

    This is probably a terrible example, but just go around to titanscentral, or NFldraftcountdown and its crazy......ALOT of eduacated people believe Cutler is going to be a better Pro then Leinart.

    I mean ALOT. Go on Wrights sight, and people are saying if Leinart is there for the Jets they should trade with the Raiders and pick Cutler at 7 because Cutler is going to be better.

    I mean even Sports analyst. All those guys that just talk and dont look at tape like Sean Salibury will go on and Say Leinarts the man, but then you have guys like Mayock and Jaworski that have studied Leinart and Cutler, and prefer Cutler.

    So all Im hoping is that the Jets have put alot of work into it when the decesion comes. The good drafters dont give a damn about the "General consensus"....This is how Tatupu, Seymour, Etc were drafted--Having your own grade and sticking to it.

  18. #18
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Yonkers / HolyCross
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    I've said this before, I think Leinart is one of those smart dumb guys. I've met a bunch of them in my life. He's a goofball. I just don't think that makes him a bad QB.

    But onto your main point about conceit. I hope you're not naive. Leinart Young and Cutler are all egomaniacs. That's the nature of the position.
    I hear ya, I just think this article put him in more of a negative light than a postive one.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079

    That's Where You're Talking Out Your Butthole, Kerry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    I mean even Sports analyst. All those guys that just talk and dont look at tape like Sean Salibury will go on and Say Leinarts the man, but then you have guys like Mayock and Jaworski that have studied Leinart and Cutler, and prefer Cutler.
    Your contention that those who don't know what they're talking about and don't do their research are the ones that prefer Leinart is just flat out wrong.

    Todd McShay and the guys at Scouts, Inc., which does work for ESPN, have Leinart rated higher than Cutler. These guys do their homework and have studied Lienart and Cutler. So has Mel Kiper, and he prefers Cutler. So does NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

    You've convinced yourself that Cutler is better than Leinart so good for you. But don't lie to yourself that the "smart" people are the only ones picking Cutler. The verdict is split amongst the guys "who know".

  20. #20
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    51
    [---But some things really made me wonder about the guy. For instance why the hell does he talk about the easter egg hunt?

    I wanted to try to relax this past weekend.

    I went to my Aunt's house on Sunday for Easter. We had an Easter egg hunt. My family usually splits up $50 between the eggs. They didn't tell us, but this time they stuck $100 in one of the eggs. I found that egg. I gave my brother Ryan $5 out of generosity. That's courtesy right there. He showed a lot of effort in his Easter egg hunt, but he just couldn't cut it.



    Him talking about the Easter egg hunt is is a joke it may not be funny but he is kidding around.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us