Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From ESPN INSIDER

Hall Of Fame

From ESPN INSIDER

ESPN.com: NFL Draft 2006

Thursday, April 20, 2006
    Updated: April 21, 5:34 PM ET
    Raiders targeting Young?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Todd McShay
    Scouts Inc.

As expected, the Saints continue to leak rumors of their interest in USC's Matt Leinart following their private session with the quarterback on Wednesday. This is nothing more than a ploy to generate increased trade interest from teams legitimately coveting Leinart.
    The Raiders reportedly have serious interest in making a deal for the Saints' No. 2 overall selection, but Oakland is hoping to land Texas QB Vince Young, not Leinart. The Raiders might be falling for the Titans' tactic of publicizing that they prefer Young over Leinart at the No. 3 pick, which is also a likely smoke screen.

Raiders owner Al Davis is said to believe Young is a franchise-changing playmaker. Much like how Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi orchestrated the trade for Eli Manning in 2004, Davis apparently feels his window of opportunity is fleeting and sees Young as the type of difference-maker who could lead his beloved Raiders to a final Super Bowl run under his watch.

According to the commonly used Trade Value Chart, such a deal could require the Raiders to part ways with their picks in each of the first three rounds (Nos. 7, 38, 69) and likely a second- or third-round pick in next year's draft. While that is a lot to give up for a player who most consider to be a developmental project, the Raiders apparently feel they can bring Young along slowly as a rookie by only using him in certain situations as a backup to recently signed QB Aaron Brooks.

The team also must feel its young offensive line will be strong enough to adequately protect the investment, and wide receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter possess the size, speed and playmaking potential to maximize Young's scrambling ability and mask some of his weaknesses in passing efficiency.

The Saints will certainly entertain a legitimate offer from the Raiders, but they would prefer to deal with the Titans (No. 3) or Jets (No. 4). Moving down just one or two spots would ensure the Saints can still draft N.C. State DE Mario Williams or Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

By trading down to the No. 7 pick, the Saints could be taking themselves out of what is considered to be the elite range of this year's class. If the Saints make such a deal, they would do so hoping Ohio State OLB A.J. Hawk falls out of the top six.

Williams appears to be the Saints' first choice if they don't deal the No. 2 pick.

Bush Market

USC RB Reggie Bush still figures to be the first player selected in the 2006 draft. The Texans have spent recent weeks leaking rumors to the media regarding their possible interest in selecting Williams with the first overall pick. They've even gone as far as to open up predraft contract talks with Williams and his agent, Ben Dogra, while making it abundantly clear to the media that no such talks have occurred with Joel Segal, who represents Bush.
    The Texans' interest in Williams is sincere, but only if they strike a deal to trade down. All the other talk can be chalked up to predraft smoke screens. This type of nonsense takes place annually. Just as the 49ers used WR Braylon Edwards (Browns) and DC Antrel Rolle (Cardinals) to get a better deal for QB Alex Smith, the Texans are using Williams to establish more leverage before sitting down with Segal to hash out a predraft deal with Bush.

The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

Pick No. 4 (1,800)
    Pick No. 29 (640)
    Pick No. 35 (550)
    Pick No. 103 (88)

As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.

While Bush is unquestionably the best prospect in this year's draft, it would still be understandable if the Texans opted to make such a deal. General manager Charlie Casserly must assess Bush's value as compared to those four picks, which could land his team a quartet of prospects similar to the following:

Pick No. 4: Virginia OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Pick No. 29: Ohio State DC Ashton Youboty
    Pick No. 35: Penn State DE Tamba Hali
    Pick No. 103: Virginia Tech OLB James Anderson

When considering the Texans' glaring needs along the offensive line and on defense, it would be difficult to chose Bush over those four prospects -- especially with RB Dominic Davis already in house.

Regardless, Bush will be the first prospect called to the podium next Saturday.

News and Notes

After watching former undrafted free-agent tight end Antonio Gates rack up 2,458 yards and 25 touchdowns on 194 catches for the Chargers the past three seasons, NFL scouting departments are combing the hardwood for the next great hoops star turned tight end. As a result, it should come as no surprise if George Mason's Jai Lewis and/or Connecticut's Ed Nelson hear their names called in the seventh round of the upcoming draft.
    Both Lewis and Nelson played only basketball for their respective schools. Nelson (6-foot-7, 278 pounds) is the bigger of the two, but Lewis (6-6, 277), who averaged 13.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game for the Patriots last season, is gifted with better all-around athleticism.

Despite their switch from a two-gap defensive front to more of a one-gap penetration scheme, the Bills have Oregon DT Haloti Ngata rated ahead of Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley. Ngata is a massive prospect (338 pounds) who seemingly fits the Ted Washington-mold as a space-eating nose tackle in the middle of a 3-4 scheme. However, Ngata spent most of his time as a 4-3 DT/NT at Oregon and would be asked to do the same if drafted by the Bills with the eighth overall pick.

Word has it that new general manager Marv Levy has concerns regarding Bunkley's off-the-field issues and also worries about the Florida State product adjusting to the cold winters in Buffalo. That said, the Bills are not as sold on drafting a defensive tackle with their first-round pick (No. 8) as most have been led to believe. In fact, we've been told the team would seriously consider drafting Texas DB Michael Huff if he's available.

At first glance, it seemed the 49ers packaged picks in the second and third rounds in exchange for the 22nd overall pick to get in position for what is expected to be a run of defensive backs late in the first round. However, after examining the situation more closely, their intentions may have been to better position themselves to secure a 3-4 outside linebacker such as N.C. State DE/OLB Manny Lawson or Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter.

Other teams said to have interest in one or both of those prospects include the Buccaneers (23), Bengals (24), Giants (25), Panthers (27), Jaguars (28), Jets (29), Colts (30) and Steelers (32). The trade also allows the 49ers to use the sixth overall pick on this year's premier tight end prospect, Vernon Davis (Maryland), without ignoring the defensive side of the ball in the first round.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be a dream come true! If we can sub the 2nd round pick for maybe next years 2nd and 3rd, or possibly even next years 1st Maybe. I would love to get Bush in NY. And The Jets are one of the 3 teams Bush would love to play for.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think the Texans want to sign Bush for his asking price of 30 million guaranteed. That could be a huge factor going foward before the draft. His agent doesn't seem to want to budge and the Texans won't go for the big bucks.

Veteran
    We have better not give up all those picks for one player. He is only projected to run the ball 14-16 times a game - What is that all about?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Mangini trading his first 4 picks to take a RB.....a position most people feel is overpopulated in the NFL right now, NO WAY!

I'd rather see up keep the #4 to take D'Brick and then package 29 and 35 to move up for the 2nd best RB in the draft, either Deangelo Williams or Lawrence Maroney.

All Pro
    Thanks for the article.

I'd love to have Reggie Bush but the price is too high.

Veteran
    Old news.

The Texans have already exchanged contract proposals with both Reggie and M. Williams.

Veteran
    but with that kid you know what your getting..now i know there have been first picks that are busts but not him..ill guarentee he is the next LT..

Quote Originally Posted by adione718
    but with that kid you know what your getting..now i know there have been first picks that are busts but not him..ill guarentee he is the next LT..
    I'm sorry, but after the Chad debacle, I REFUSE to pay anyone that kind of money. Because when the pull a hammy or a groin or bust their knee, we are screwed big time. No thanks. Stay at 4 or trade down.

Veteran
    Trading up is not happening. But, what I find intriguing is the opportunity for a 3-team trade with Jets-Raiders-Saints where the Saints drop to 4, Jets drop to 7, and the Raiders move up to 2.

This would allow us to take Cutler at 7 and pick up another value pick.

Either way, I think the FO is looking at D'Brick at 4 or Cutler with a trade down.

All League
    no way in hell i would give up my first four picks. id give up the two first rounders a third and a second next year. but our second rounder this year is a pick i want to hold on to.

Undrafted Free Agent
    FORGET Deangelo Williams, as a pro he will NEVER amount to anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Mangini trading his first 4 picks to take a RB.....a position most people feel is overpopulated in the NFL right now, NO WAY!

I'd rather see up keep the #4 to take D'Brick and then package 29 and 35 to move up for the 2nd best RB in the draft, either Deangelo Williams or Lawrence Maroney.
    I dont think you can consider BUSH part of that population. He is rare.

Hall Of Fame

no way! Thats even worse. why waste a pick?? when either lendale, williams or maroney will be available at 29. None of those 3 are too far appart as far as talent. Any 1 of the 3 would be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51
    no way in hell i would give up my first four picks. id give up the two first rounders a third and a second next year. but our second rounder this year is a pick i want to hold on to.
    Thats exactly what I said at the end of the post.. That should be equal value.

WestSideJets
    This sounds more believable than the Bongo trade. Where the Bongo trade would be awsome for the Jet's it just doesn't add up. Jet's get Mario and extra 2 and a 3? No way.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83

why waste a pick??
    You mean like using a 2nd rounder on a friggn' kicker?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet
    Trading up is not happening. But, what I find intriguing is the opportunity for a 3-team trade with Jets-Raiders-Saints where the Saints drop to 4, Jets drop to 7, and the Raiders move up to 2.

This would allow us to take Cutler at 7 and pick up another value pick.

Either way, I think the FO is looking at D'Brick at 4 or Cutler with a trade down.

Mark it down...Jay Cutler will be a BUST...He's a modern day Jake Plummer and for that I'd pass on him completely.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckiernan
    We have better not give up all those picks for one player. He is only projected to run the ball 14-16 times a game - What is that all about?

forget Reggie Bush....I strongly feel the Jets will stay put and pick three of the first 35 player sin the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by Once A Titan
    FORGET Deangelo Williams, as a pro he will NEVER amount to anything.

Oh really? do you have a crystal ball to see in the future?????

JetsInsider.com Legend

That's actually a great idea. Hell, DeAngelo could actually turn out better than Bush if you ask me. He reminds me of Emmit, not the fastest guy but can hit the hole with a great burst.