Thread: Pope or Lewis?

All Pro

Pope or Lewis?

Leonard Pope or Mercedes Lewis? Who do you prefer?

Because of the freakshow Vernon Davis, I have failed to realize how fast Pope really is.

The guy is pretty close to Winslow/Shockey speed him. If you didnt know Winslow ran a 4.55, Shockey, a 4.58, and Pope ran 4.62.

Also are either available at 29?

Hall Of Fame
    On one of the espn radio shows yesterday they were talking to a reporter from Chicago, the said the bears really liked Lewis and had him rated above Pope.

It was kind of funny though as the chicago guy said that the bears wanted a TE that could catch and block and that is why they liked Lewis. The radio host said when Lewis makes a good block it will be a first.

All League
    what kind of crazy Pope supporter would I be if I didn't respond to this thread ...Pope may not be available at #29...Lewis will probably be available until mid 2nd round...both are great players.

Let me start with Lewis, he's being overlooked because he didn't show great speed at the combine, but he is a great TE. Makes great catches, he can block and plays the game of football really well...whoever said TE was a speed position anyway...someones going to get a steal in mid rd. 2 with Lewis

Pope...if you don't know he's my pick at TE this year than where have you been...I'm huge on him, everytime I saw him he got better. He's a play maker, catches the ball well (struggled early in career but corrected the problem)...and he's a physical freak in his own right...strong as an ox. 4.6 speed and he's a 1/4" south of 6'8"...red zone target anyone?...the team that lands him won't be disappointed in the least...any other year and both Lewis and Pope could be considered the best TE in the draft...I hope we land of of the big 3 because IMO they'll all be stars.

All League
    If the choices were just those 2.....then neither.

The Jets have more important needs than TE. With these first 5 picks, they can build this team up and you don't do that with TEs.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Pope is dropping down boards fast....I don't agree with it but for various reasons, build, inability to block, he is slipping...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY
    Pope is dropping down boards fast....I don't agree with it but for various reasons, build, inability to block, he is slipping...

CBNY, Do you think he would slip all the way to 2.5? Or are we talking drastic drop like round 3?

Im guessing with the blocking he might have a problem because of his height/weight not getting low enough.
    On one of the espn radio shows yesterday they were talking to a reporter from Chicago, the said the bears really liked Lewis and had him rated above Pope.

It was kind of funny though as the chicago guy said that the bears wanted a TE that could catch and block and that is why they liked Lewis. The radio host said when Lewis makes a good block it will be a first.
    This goes along with what CBNY said.

I have to say, I hope Chicago goes with Lewis over Pope.

I wonder if this cat will be there at 35?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    CBNY, Do you think he would slip all the way to 2.5? Or are we talking drastic drop like round 3?

Im guessing with the blocking he might have a problem because of his height/weight not getting low enough.

If Pope is there at #35 I will be one happy Jets fan...if you guys haven't already check out jetsrule05's prospect video thread and look at Pope and Lewis's...POpe looks massive (a matchup nightmare) and Lewis looks like a great football player...both will be great players.

All League
    They grade out about the same. Both have good size, edge to Pope on athleticism. Both are good receivers, edge to Lewis who probably has the best hands and pass-catching instincts of any prospect in the class. Neither can block. I expect both of these guys to be on the board at 35, along with some better options for us that would preclude taking either.

All League
    I would have to go with Pope over Lewis. I like Pope's speed and he has great hands, you can throw high and he will get up and get it. I think he is a great end zone receiver. He does need to work on his run blocking skills, but so does every tight end coming out of college.

I think he will be there at 35.

All Pro
    If the Jets want a TE,David Thomas of Texas would be perfect.The guy is tough,can block and catch and has pretty decent open field ability.

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldn't go TE until the OL and DL guys are picked. We should be set at TE unless we get impact player Vernon Davis.

But Pope is taller and faster than Lewis. My choice is Pope

All League
    Joe Klopfenstein

All League
    mercedes can catch everything and block anyone

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes

if you believe what's being said he'll be available in them middle of round two; right now the Rams would have their choice between Klopfenstein and Pope in the second.