Thread: Running Back

Undrafted Free Agent

Running Back

So are we going after a R in free agency next year or at the very least in next year's draft as a first rounder. Ar we fully confident that Blaylock can carry the load? How could we not take a RB when one of ours just got in a car accident in which he was thrown from the car? What is this FO thinking? Curtis isn't going to play forever. Anyone have any thoughts? I really can't fathom how we took 0 RBs when 1 was in a car accident, 1 was hurt next year and didn't show much when he wasn't and the other is on his last year or 2.

All League
    Which RB would you consider? I think after Bush, D Williams, White and Maroney who we worth the pick? White maybe @ 35 but Tangini is going for high quality character guys so he wasn't on that board IMO. Addai is not a 1st rd'er to me, especially only 1 yr as starter although I though he'd be good late 2nd rd pick

Veteran
    Not being able to get DeAngelo, then missing Calhoun threw me off guard - I really wish we got some sort of RB or WR on offense for day one.

Don't get me wrong, I love what we've done so far (especially the first three picks), but even with a great (hopefully) O-line we still have ZERO playmakers on this offense - people that other teams have to adjust to when we come to play.

Undrafted Free Agent
    You guys think there any chance of Leon Washingtion from FSU i think he could be a pretty big sleeper pick.

He's short but the 40 time isnt too bad. Supposedly he can't be an everydown back. I just hate to see us not take any RBs in this whole draft. I wanted Lendale White really badly.
    Height: 5-7 7/8 | Weight: 201 | 40-Time: 4.42
    Last edited by HofstraJetMetIsle; 04-29-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HofstraJetMetIsle
    So are we going after a R in free agency next year or at the very least in next year's draft as a first rounder. Ar we fully confident that Blaylock can carry the load? How could we not take a RB when one of ours just got in a car accident in which he was thrown from the car? What is this FO thinking? Curtis isn't going to play forever. Anyone have any thoughts? I really can't fathom how we took 0 RBs when 1 was in a car accident, 1 was hurt next year and didn't show much when he wasn't and the other is on his last year or 2.
    Have you ever heard of BJ Askew ?

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah Askew is the answer to our prayers.

We are paper thin at RB. Should have taken Calhoun.

All League
    Washington is a possibility, as is Andre Hall.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Yeah Askew is the answer to our prayers.

We are paper thin at RB. Should have taken Calhoun.
    Where ? He went before the Jets first pick in round 3.

If the Jets stayed at #71, I would have taken Gocong.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSRULE05
    Where ? He went before the Jets first pick in round 3.

If the Jets stayed at #71, I would have taken Gocong.
    We could have had Gocong, Calhoun, Pope or Dvorak if we had not traded for that whopping 7th rounder to move down with Philly. At 71 we should have taken Calhoun.

Veteran
    Frank Coyle on Calhoun:

Strong, compact runner with well-developed skills despite a short career. He is a legitimate starting NFL feature back, probably as a rookie. His fine production as a receiver will allow him to be a third-down back immediately. He will be an early pick among backs, with clubs like the Jets, Cardinals and Falcons interested taking a look at him in the second round.

Pros: Despite marginal size, he has the excellent combination of power and quickness that allowed him to succeed in the tough Big Ten. Has an aggressive physical running style with the quickness and strength to consistently carry the ball between the tackles. Has a quick burst through the hole, reaching the second level regularly with quick feet and a powerful frame that allows him to make defenders miss as well as run over them. A power back who runs in a crouched position with excellent pad level, dishing out a lot of punishment on tacklers while taking few direct hits.

Cons: Marginal size drops his stock a little. He has good speed to break the long play, but lacks the extra gear to do it consistently. Despite impressive numbers, he has limited experience as a receiver, and will have to learn finer points of that role.

Numbers: Last fall he became the second player in Big Ten history with at least 1,000 rushing and 500 receiving yards in a single season. As a junior, he rushed for 1636 yards on 348 carries for a fine 4.7 yards-per-carry average, with 22 TDs. In addition, he caught 53 passes for 571 yards and 2 TDs. At the Combine, he ran a 4.58 with a 31.5-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump and 18 reps in the lifting.

Skinny: Strong, compact runner with well-developed skills despite a short career. He is a legitimate starting NFL feature back, probably as a rookie. His fine production as a receiver will allow him to be a third-down back immediately. He will be an early pick among backs, with clubs like the Jets, Cardinals and Falcons interested taking a look at him in the second round.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember watching Calhoun vs. Illinois in 2005, he had 5 TDs and 200 yards, he reminded me of Lamont Jordan.

All I know is Schlegel better turn out to be a starter
    Last edited by Kleckomania; 04-30-2006 at 01:11 AM.