Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Snub of D'Leinart is D'Making me D'Vomit

Banned

D'Snub of D'Leinart is D'Making me D'Vomit

It's almost 24 hours and I don't feel any better about this.

What is the point of protecting Patrick Ramsey and Chad Pennington if they can't win? Ramsey isn't smart and Pennington isn't healthy. If the Jets stepped up and traded for someone like Volek or Schaub months ago I'd be happy, but it feels like we are actually going to go into this season with the biggest QB question mark(s) in the NFL.

Did we learn nothing from last season? All last year, since the disasterous Jags game, I consoled myself with the knowledge that the Jets would never again allow themselves to have a whole season hinge on one player and that it was clear that Chad wasn't ever going to be himself again and that we'd be in a position to draft an elite QB and put this uncertainty to bed forever.

We could have kept Mawae and not needed Mangold. Use that Mangold pick to move up and grab Cutler. Nope. We could have kept Abraham as I think that would have been smarter than throwing his proven money towards an unproven rookie who is suspect at run blocking. We haven't addressed RB either. Pennington/Martin or Ramsey/Blaylock just isn't worthy of Ferguson/Mangold type draft position, is it? If we had Ben Roethlisberger back there I could see the first round O line investment; for Chad and Ramsey? Why?

We talk about 'drafting for need'. Who replaces Abraham as an elite pass rusher? Who replaces Chad as an upper-tier QB? Who replaces Curtis as a rock-steady RB? We have an O line. Woo hoo. Protecting nobody and opening holes for nobody. Worlds best snowplow, except its Cancun. Uselsess.

Bottom line: In a division with Tom Brady and Daunte Cullpepper, we've got a bonehead and a cadaver. Oh, but they'll have excellent protection for their rock skimming practice.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 04-30-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    again, like i told you earlier clemnent would be a jet in round 2

Ramsey will win games for us this year, he's better than leinfart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    again, like i told you earlier clemnent would be a jet in round 2

Ramsey will win games for us this year, he's better than leinfart
    Clemens is a two-year 50/50 project. Leinart could have started in Week 5.

Ramsey was not just a bust, but a bust of epic proportions. If Joe Gibbs couldn't make him work, how is Son of Marty going to? With no running game and suspect WR's/TE's, how can Ramsey elevate his game?

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    This is why they picked OL. This is how we fix our QB problem.

Kellen Clemens
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/408416

Get over the Leinart fixation. He may be a good NFL QB. I'm not in favor of picking for good at #4.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    SAR, with the O-line we're gonna have, YOU could be a successful QB!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I

Ramsey was not just a bust, but a bust of epic proportions. If Joe Gibbs couldn't make him work, how is Son of Marty going to? With no running game and suspect WR's/TE's, how can Ramsey elevate his game?

SAR I

Leinhart may have started week 5 but he would still have lost games for us with no line

you build teams from teh inside out and our line was one of the weakest units on the team, which could very well now become one of the strongest in one fell swoop by tangini.....how could you not love that???

our line being solid is damn near guaranteed after this draft while Leinart being successful is worse than 50/50 with the line we would have had without those picks at 4 and 29

if Clemons hadnt been hurt he very well would have shot up the boards like Cutler did and would have been a first round pick, we may have hit a goldmine with him and for alot less risk than with Leinart ($$$)

and again I keep telling you and believe me we will find out if I'm right, but Ramsey is gonna be a stud here...

Rookie
    Lienhart is the Ben Affleck of Qb's

Looks good at first but his lack of ability will come thru about 10 games in when he starts floating Int's for Td's.

Clemons has same numbers or better than Lienhart if he plays for USC
    I dont care how mant tickets Lienhart would have sold because come November those ticketholders would have been booing the hell out of him if they showed up at all. Go watch USC tape when Lienhart was pressured.
    He looks very ordinary very fast.

Veteran
    If the Jets stepped up and traded for someone like Volek or Schaub months ago I'd be happy, but it feels like we are actually going to go into this season with the biggest QB question mark(s) in the NFL.
    It seems to me that either S.McNair or B.Volek are on the way out. Preferably I'd like to see Volek come to New York.

And remember that we're rebuilding.

All League
    It's almost 24 hours and I don't feel any better about this.

What is the point of protecting Patrick Ramsey and Chad Pennington if they can't win? Ramsey isn't smart and Pennington isn't healthy. If the Jets stepped up and traded for someone like Volek or Schaub months ago I'd be happy, but it feels like we are actually going to go into this season with the biggest QB question mark(s) in the NFL.

Did we learn nothing from last season? All last year, since the disasterous Jags game, I consoled myself with the knowledge that the Jets would never again allow themselves to have a whole season hinge on one player and that it was clear that Chad wasn't ever going to be himself again and that we'd be in a position to draft an elite QB and put this uncertainty to bed forever.

We could have kept Mawae and not needed Mangold. Use that Mangold pick to move up and grab Cutler. Nope. We could have kept Abraham as I think that would have been smarter than throwing his proven money towards an unproven rookie who is suspect at run blocking. We haven't addressed RB either. Pennington/Martin or Ramsey/Blaylock just isn't worthy of Ferguson/Mangold type draft position, is it? If we had Ben Roethlisberger back there I could see the first round O line investment; for Chad and Ramsey? Why?

We talk about 'drafting for need'. Who replaces Abraham as an elite pass rusher? Who replaces Chad as an upper-tier QB? Who replaces Curtis as a rock-steady RB? We have an O line. Woo hoo. Protecting nobody and opening holes for nobody. Worlds best snowplow, except its Cancun. Uselsess.

Bottom line: In a division with Tom Brady and Daunte Cullpepper, we've got a bonehead and a cadaver. Oh, but they'll have excellent protection for their rock skimming practice.

SAR I

By your take, we would have been looking for a new Cutler next year, a new center as Mawae would bail/be injured/retire anyway and Abraham wouldn't step on the field with this team in the first place.

1 year of possible solid play from those characters you wanted to keep / draft and we do it all over again next season with LESS / WORSE picks to fix the problems.

See... If we kept them around we would possibly do OKAY next year or maybe even two years, but we sure wouldn't have the draft options we had this year to make us competitive for the next 10 years. Sometime you need to have a fire sale to bring you back to a point in which you can grow.

This year we FIXED the O-LINE. Mangini will see what we have with the "D" this year (I mean c'mon, he is a "D" guy afterall). Plug whatever "D" holes we have next year as well as pick up the "Flash" that may be necessary. By having the ability to trade UP with the extra 2nd acquired yesterday.

JMHO

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    Leinart with our OL and skill players would have bombed. The best thing we did yesterday was pass on him. I wouldn't have minded trading down to get Cutler but Clemens has a very good shot at being an excellent QB for us I believe in him as much as Leinart at a lot lower cost.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whitem5
    This is why they picked OL. This is how we fix our QB problem.

Kellen Clemens
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/408416

Get over the Leinart fixation. He may be a good NFL QB. I'm not in favor of picking for good at #4.
    Last year, our "QB problem" was that our head coach rushed him back too soon and/or he himself was so eager to be loved that he rushed himself. Either way, it wasn't the OL that killed Chad; it was Chad that killed Chad up in Buffalo in 2004 and in the preseason of 2003. Getting a QB that knows how to slide would be a smarter decision than getting a fat lineman to open holes for his sliding.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTransplant
    By your take, we would have been looking for a new Cutler next year, a new center as Mawae would bail/be injured/retire anyway and Abraham wouldn't step on the field with this team in the first place.

1 year of possible solid play from those characters you wanted to keep / draft and we do it all over again next season with LESS / WORSE picks to fix the problems.

See... If we kept them around we would possibly do OKAY next year or maybe even two years, but we sure wouldn't have the draft options we had this year to make us competitive for the next 10 years. Sometime you need to have a fire sale to bring you back to a point in which you can grow.

This year we FIXED the O-LINE. Mangini will see what we have with the "D" this year (I mean c'mon, he is a "D" guy afterall). Plug whatever "D" holes we have next year as well as pick up the "Flash" that may be necessary. By having the ability to trade UP with the extra 2nd acquired yesterday.

JMHO
    Tell me, would we be a better team today with Leinart and Abraham or with Ramsey and Ferguson? The most prolific QB in NCAA history and a pro bowl caliber pass rusher, or a discarded scrub from Washington and a rookie tackle?

The object is to move the ball and score points while attacking your opponent and preventing them from scoring points. Leinart and Abraham are playmakers. Proven commodities.

SAR I

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Last year, our "QB problem" was that our head coach rushed him back too soon and/or he himself was so eager to be loved that he rushed himself. Either way, it wasn't the OL that killed Chad; it was Chad that killed Chad up in Buffalo in 2004 and in the preseason of 2003. Getting a QB that knows how to slide would be a smarter decision than getting a fat lineman to open holes for his sliding.

SAR I
    Fran Tarkenton did a LOT of sliding (scrambling really) when he was with the Giants and that didn't get them anywhere!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs
    Leinart with our OL and skill players would have bombed. The best thing we did yesterday was pass on him. I wouldn't have minded trading down to get Cutler but Clemens has a very good shot at being an excellent QB for us I believe in him as much as Leinart at a lot lower cost.
    Yes, Leinart with our existing OL and skill players would bomb.

Leinart with some 3rd and 4th round OL pickups would have done just fine. The Patriots, remember, are the kings of getting the most out of average talent and getting players to work as a cohesive unit. Not about an individual on the lines in New England. It's about the group.

I would rather have seen Mangini take a stand and say "We know the line needs help, but put that on me. That's my job. Take the franchise QB and leave the rest to good coaching like we did in New England."

SAR I

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    SAR, were you under the delusion that we would be competing for the superbowl this year?? If not, how can you NOT like these moves? Mawae obviates the need for Mangold? How many more decent years does Mawae have? 1? Two at the outside? With Mangold and Brick we're likely set for the next 10 years - do you think we might draft a playmaker or two for them to block for next year??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nclion
    Lienhart is the Ben Affleck of Qb's

Looks good at first but his lack of ability will come thru about 10 games in when he starts floating Int's for Td's.

Clemons has same numbers or better than Lienhart if he plays for USC
    I dont care how mant tickets Lienhart would have sold because come November those ticketholders would have been booing the hell out of him if they showed up at all. Go watch USC tape when Lienhart was pressured.
    He looks very ordinary very fast.
    Matt Leinart went 37-2 under the intense glare of LA and the pressure of running the most talented team in the NCAA.

Derek Jeter, in a similar situation, doesn't pull off that kind of record. You're giving Leinart too much discredit for his looks. He's a proven Champion and a great leader on a team full of ego and expectation.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    SAR, were you under the delusion that we would be competing for the superbowl this year?? If not, how can you NOT like these moves? Mawae obviates the need for Mangold? How many more decent years does Mawae have? 1? Two at the outside? With Mangold and Brick we're likely set for the next 10 years - do you think we might draft a playmaker or two for them to block for next year??
    Simple reason why I don't like these moves:

We need both a franchise QB and a solid OL in order to get back to the playoffs. This year, the QB was there for the taking. Next year, he may not be. We're not going to be 4-12 next season, and we've seen entire drafts where not 1 QB was taken in the first round.

We just rebuilt our line. Fine. Where's the QB? If we pick at #17 next year, we're not getting a Leinart.

I would have taken Leinart and built a decent OL for a lot less money than we spent yesterday. Two first round picks on OL? Millions x2 on OL? Scrubs at QB.

We're spending the money and looking at the priorities all backwards.

Unless they know something about Chad that we don't (God I hope they do), it will take us years to find a QB of Leinart's potential. Fat lineman grow on trees; franchise QB's fall from the sky once a decade.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Yes, Leinart with our existing OL and skill players would bomb.

Leinart with some 3rd and 4th round OL pickups would have done just fine. The Patriots, remember, are the kings of getting the most out of average talent and getting players to work as a cohesive unit. Not about an individual on the lines in New England. It's about the group.

I would rather have seen Mangini take a stand and say "We know the line needs help, but put that on me. That's my job. Take the franchise QB and leave the rest to good coaching like we did in New England."

SAR I
    I disagree with you on Leinart. Leinart doesn't have an NFL arm and is strictly a WCO system QB at best, I don't believe in him and I'm glad we didn't waste a high pick on him. The impact of taking a second tier QB with the No. 4 pick would have devestated this team for the next 5 years.

I would have loved to drop down and get Cutler who does have an NFL arm and pick up Mangold and a RT early in the second. The Jets believe in Clemens, I haven't seen enough of him to know but I respect that our guys did their homework and maybe he will be a great franchise QB and he is a much lower risk than taking what I believe is a bust at 4.

Banned

SAR I
    they showed leinart in the weight room...he could barely bench 150lbs..we have a weakling at qb already(pennington) and all of leinart's passes I saw were floaters..and look at who leinart was playing with at usc...I like ramsey..he got a raw deal,he always killed the jets and giants when he played against them..he took a beating under spurrier,and joe gibbs is under pressure from ownership to win now..I like not taking leinart...sorry SAR..

Hall Of Fame
    I think you are missing the big picture here, Sar. It was just Leinart that we couldn't get but Venon Davis, Bush, Mario Williams,Cutler, etc. At what point do you bite the bullet and start to build the trenches. We did that yesterday and it hurts a lot. Not just for you but all of us that had our favorites. That's the price you pay by getting lineman instead of impact glamorous players.

I'm sure they liked Leinart also but they evaluted and analyzed and then concluded that this is what we do that's best for the team.