Thread: After The First Round What Were The Jets Really Trying To Do ?

Practice Squad

After The First Round What Were The Jets Really Trying To Do ?

I dont know what the process of thinking was an I'm not gonna bash them because i dont know what they seen in the those exact players QB. LB, S but wasn't our most glaring need the o line coming into this draft. To me after the D brick an Mangold picks from there on i would have thought that it would have been gravy from there on in with us takin the BAP starting the 2nd RD. I don't wanna come off as whining but I just thought that there was just so much 1st round talent staring us in the face at the 35th pick an the 3rd round. Maybe im just being greedy for Jets success but I seen 4 first day picks with first round talent .

Am I alone with this thinking process ?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by IFUBUILDITTHEYWILLCOME
    I dont know what the process of thinking was an I'm not gonna bash them because i dont know what they seen in the those exact players QB. LB, S but wasn't our most glaring need the o line coming into this draft. To me after the D brick an Mangold picks from there on i would have thought that it would have been gravy from there on in with us takin the BAP starting the 2nd RD. I don't wanna come off as whining but I just thought that there was just so much 1st round talent staring us in the face at the 35th pick an the 3rd round. Maybe im just being greedy for Jets success but I seen 4 first day picks with first round talent .

QB wasn't a glaring need? I stopped reading after that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Maybe you should change your user name to IFTHEYBUILDITLIKE IWANTTHEYWILLCOME!! They have a plan and want their players for it! Just a thought why not wait a Game or 2 to see how their vision comes together??

Practice Squad
    Arod i wasn't say that Qb wasn't a need i just thought we could of had a better level of talent for the pick .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Arod i wasn't say that Qb wasn't a need i just thought we could of had a better level of talent for the pick .
    Clemons was widely rated as a mid 1st round talent prior to his injury and the Jets got very good value drafting him in the mid 2nd round.

We have a very good QB prospect in Clemons. He may turn out to be one of the biggest sleepers in this draft.

Practice Squad
    Like i said in my first post im not bashing the picks they made

Hall Of Fame
    They have a plan that they talked about in their press conference. They will get smart, flexible players and be adaptable on both offense and defense. They will adapt to the opponents weaknesses and strenghts. To do this will take time.

So in other words, you don't see the total product until down the road a bit.

I loved their second round beacause they filled a need at quaterback wirh Clemmons, a solid pick, and were able to pick up future 2nd round pick.

Undrafted Free Agent
    What you have to understand is that the Jets played a game of chess.

They knew that they wanted this QB, and they obviously felt that they did not need the 35th pick to get him; they knew that he would not be picked up until later on in the round, or possibly round 3. So they made a trade to net them an extra 2nd round pick in next years draft, while still getting the guy they would of gotten had they picked him at 35.

If they had waited til the 3rd round to get him, he may have not of been there.

In this chess move, the Jets won.

Did they win with their chess move in round 3? I do not know, only the Jets can answer if Schegel was their man all along. As others have already said on this board, they might have made a bad chess move on that one.