Thread: The 2006 New York Jets = The 2005 Cleveland Browns

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The 2006 New York Jets = The 2005 Cleveland Browns

I study all NFL teams and The 2006 Jets remind me alot of The 2005 Cleveland Browns. There are alot of similarities between the two. Let me explain.

Rome Crennell, Phil Savage, Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini all come from the same school of thought. They all worked together and they were all brought up in The Belichick/Parcells way of thinking and operating.

Last year, Romeo got his first head coaching job with Cleveland. Phil Savage got his first GM job with Cleveland. They both got their big break. It actually took awhile for Savage to finally get control but he has it now.

Mangini is taking on his first head coaching job here with The Jets. Tannenbaum has paid his dues and is a GM for the first time this year.

When Romeo and Savage took over The Browns. They brought in a new philosophy that goes along with the same formula that Tangini is installing in The Jets operation right now.

The Browns in 2005 like The Jets now were a team in transition. The way that Romeo and Savage approached The Browns in 2005, is the same way that Tangini is working with The Jets right now. There are many differences but there are some strong similarities between the two regimes and operations.

Year one for Cleveland was a feeling out process. They needed to evaluate what they wanted to keep and what they needed to move forward. They are in stage two right now of the process.

The Browns in 2005 had a whole new coaching staff with alot of unknowns, They brought in some new veteran players but for the most part in 05, They inherited players from the previous regime and previous systems. They brought in some veterans to hold the forte like The Andruzzi's and Dilfers.

The Browns in 2005 like The Jets now were not expected to do much in year one. The Browns ate up a few contracts in 05 and set themselves up for a run at free agency in year two. The Jets have done the same thing here.

You will see The Jets be more active next year in free agency because they will have alot of cap room to play with and will have a better understanding of what players on the current roster fit and what players don't.

I'm not ruling out a Jets run in 2006. Anything is possible in this league. Alot of things need to work out in year one.Having a healthy roster would help. The Jets in 06 are set up better right now than The Browns were last year. Especially with what The Jets just did with their o-line in the draft.

But in my opinion, The Jets are still aways away from building the type of team that they want to. The 2005 Jets and the era before that crashed and burned last year. This team is starting over. The whole thing is being constructed differently. It's really a new era of Jets football.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF
    I study all NFL teams and The 2006 Jets remind me alot of The 2005 Cleveland Browns. There are alot of similarities between the two. Let me explain.

Rome Crennell, Phil Savage, Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini all come from the same school of thought. They all worked together and they were all brought up in The Belichick/Parcells way of thinking and operating.

Last year, Romeo got his first head coaching job with Cleveland. Phil Savage got his first GM job with Cleveland. They both got their big break. It actually took awhile for Savage to finally get control but he has it now.

Mangini is taking on his first head coaching job here with The Jets. Tannenbaum has paid his dues and is a GM for the first time this year.

When Romeo and Savage took over The Browns. They brought in a new philosophy that goes along with the same formula that Tangini is installing in The Jets operation right now.

The Browns in 2005 like The Jets now were a team in transition. The way that Romeo and Savage approached The Browns in 2005, is the same way that Tangini is working with The Jets right now. There are many differences but there are some strong similarities between the two regimes and operations.

Year one for Cleveland was a feeling out process. They needed to evaluate what they wanted to keep and what they needed to move forward. They are in stage two right now of the process.

The Browns in 2005 had a whole new coaching staff with alot of unknowns, They brought in some new veteran players but for the most part in 05, They inherited players from the previous regime and previous systems. They brought in some veterans to hold the forte like The Andruzzi's and Dilfers.

The Browns in 2005 like The Jets now were not expected to do much in year one. The Browns ate up a few contracts in 05 and set themselves up for a run at free agency in year two. The Jets have done the same thing here.

You will see The Jets be more active next year in free agency because they will have alot of cap room to play with and will have a better understanding of what players on the current roster fit and what players don't.

I'm not ruling out a Jets run in 2006. Anything is possible in this league. Alot of things need to work out in year one.Having a healthy roster would help. The Jets in 06 are set up better right now than The Browns were last year. Especially with what The Jets just did with their o-line in the draft.

But in my opinion, The Jets are still aways away from building the type of team that they want to. The 2005 Jets and the era before that crashed and burned last year. This team is starting over. The whole thing is being constructed differently. It's really a new era of Jets football.
    While I agree with most of what you said YJF, I think the Jets have a much greater talent base to work with then the Browns had in 2005.

I also expect the Jets to have a Dolphins type turn around this year, 8-8 or 9-7. I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

Veteran
    You are right on point but the only difference I see is Tangini inherited a team with a lot more talent especially on defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I agree with ARod.

We have way more talent than Cleveland had in '05. I think the comparison to the Dolphins of last year is more accurate. Our O-line is going to be much improved even with two rookies potentially starting. Our run game should be improved and our pass protection should be MUCH improved.

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    LG Pete Kendall
    C Nick Mangold
    RG Brandon Moore
    RT Adrian Jones

That gives us two very good pass blockers at the tackle positions and 3 nice road graders in the middle. The O-line looks extremely balanced and neither Pennington or Ramsey should have much trouble staying on their feet.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life
    You are right on point but the only difference I see is Tangini inherited a team with a lot more talent especially on defense.
    A lot more talent? It's a stretch to think that we will easily exceed Cleveland's 6-10 next season. But the Browns have a good foundation and can easily grow from that 6 win season. YJF's comparison is accurate.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life
    They did, but also got rid of that "a lot more talent" they inherited

All Pro
    While I agree with YJF essential theme in his post, IMO you simply can not compare Mangini to Romeo.

Basic fact Romeo was a pr oven assistant for many years being responsible for the defense of SB winning teams, plural.

Mangini on the other hand is a new coach, he was even relatively new as an DC and was responsible for some great calls. Big difference.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    While I agree with most of what you said YJF, I think the Jets have a much greater talent base to work with then the Browns had in 2005.

I also expect the Jets to have a Dolphins type turn around this year, 8-8 or 9-7. I could be wrong but that's my opinion.
    ARod, I'm with you. I expect a Nick Saban type performance from Mangini, and an '05 Dolphins type performance from the team. The '04 Dolphins were 4-12, then went 9-7 last year, no reason to say we can't do the same, especially given the lighter schedule and a great deal of potential here. Our losses won't be blowouts...they'll be close.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAJet
    ARod, I'm with you. I expect a Nick Saban type performance from Mangini, and an '05 Dolphins type performance from the team. The '04 Dolphins were 4-12, then went 9-7 last year, no reason to say we can't do the same, especially given the lighter schedule and a great deal of potential here. Our losses won't be blowouts...they'll be close.
    I believe the comparison to Nick Saban, and Romeo Crennel (as BB pointed out) is waaaaayyyyyyy too optimistic. Nick Saban was head coach in the SEC for years...Mangini has never been a head coach.

I'm as excited as anyone about the personnel decisions that Tannenbaum and Mangini have been making, but everyone needs to realize that Mangini is a first year head coach (at any level worth discussing) and was only a def. coord. for 1 year! He will make mistakes - he may not even be a good coach (I think he will be fine, but no one really knows)!

Its great to be enthusiastic - but everyone must understand that these comparisons are a little bit much.

Banned
    I don't want the Jets to be the Patriots, or to be the Browns, I want them to be the Jets. Each team needs to have its own style and culture. Its how you relate to the fans (Raiders fans embrace even losing teams because of that team style and culture... the Raiders will never try to be like the Chargers...).

I don't want to mimic anyone, we need to find our own method of success.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I dont expect much, and I dont know if I want it! Not only are we fielding a lot of new players, but we are also fielding some new coaches. Doesnt anyone think that Mangini will have some growing pains? Hes never done this before!I expect Mangini to get all 5 years to build his machine, and the way we killed it in the draft this year, I dint care if we have a few more bad seasons if we are building a perrenial contender! Good things come to those that wait. We still have some obvius glaring holes in our team. Maybe these guys dont want an onernight fix.Lets be patient and understanding and I believe in 3 years we will have a Jets team like we have nevr seen before...and it will be worth the wait!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    A lot more talent? It's a stretch to think that we will easily exceed Cleveland's 6-10 next season. But the Browns have a good foundation and can easily grow from that 6 win season. YJF's comparison is accurate.
    How did they inherit any proven talent on defense? Tangini inherited Vilma and Ellis both pro bowl players and I'm not even mentioning Drob, Barton or Miller. When Romeo took over in Cleveland he inherited a bunch of first round picks on defense that where all considered busts thats why he traded or cut all of them.

Practice Squad
    Where do you guys see 8 or 9 wins? I see a team with a lot of holes and question marks? It seems like Tannenbaum and Mangini have a plan to build the roster into a winner. They improved the OL and added some others who could pan out to be key contributors. But right now the Jets are a pretty bad team. I'm expecting anywhere from 4 to 6 wins. I wouldn't expect much until 07.

wickedtwisted
    I really don't kno what to expect this season but I have a new trust in the FO that I never used to have... I look forward to seeing how they run TC this year...