Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper is a fraud.

Hall Of Fame

Mel Kiper is a fraud.

Is it just me or does Kiper not really know as much as we all think he does. Does he really know as much as he says about a guy who was drafted in the 7th round from southwest montana university etc. or does he look at the players height, weight and stats... Seriously he can't know that much on every player.. And his grades, Jets-B-, Patriots B,....But he gives the Bears a B even though they traded away their 1st round pick. And didn't address their WR or TE position.... Is it me or does he just grade teams high only if they take the players that he wants them too... ???

All League
    I dont like Kiper at all. I am not sure about this, but I beleive he got 5 out of 32 picks right on the first round of his mock draft. Pretty sorry for a so called draft expert.

He's not a scout, just a draft expert. Its a big difference.

eLOT

Veteran
    Kiper = Flipper the man is a mouthpiece. He isnt anymore knowledgeable on the draft or football for that matter than you or I. In my opinion Ham could do a much better job.

Second, predicting the draft is like forcasting the weather. You can be wrong and still get payed.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by elot
    He's not a scout, just a draft expert. Its a big difference.

eLOT
    I respectfully disagree...he's a professional broadcaster....that's it....he's magnificent at blustering through potential names of players who could be about to be selected and then when his floor manager(who's just read the lips of the guy who gets the card handed to him)yells in his earpiece 'Maroney!!' he seemlessly chimes '...but I really think they could go Maroney here!!'

It's that simple.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Is it just me or does Kiper not really know as much as we all think he does. Does he really know as much as he says about a guy who was drafted in the 7th round from southwest montana university etc. or does he look at the players height, weight and stats... Seriously he can't know that much on every player.. And his grades, Jets-B-, Patriots B,....But he gives the Bears a B even though they traded away their 1st round pick. And didn't address their WR or TE position.... Is it me or does he just grade teams high only if they take the players that he wants them too... ???
    Bingo. thats all analysts. Few are truly objective. There are websites that gave us C's and C+'s. If you're going to give us a B-, just give us a C and get it over with. The minus (-) is so you can say: oh, the Patriots are still better at everything you do. We didn't draft Leinart and there's nothing to talk about. Brick isn't as hollywood, and now he and other writers can't make overtime talking about Leinart.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie
    I respectfully disagree...he's a professional broadcaster....that's it....he's magnificent at blustering through potential names of players who could be about to be selected and then when his floor manager(who's just read the lips of the guy who gets the card handed to him)yells in his earpiece 'Maroney!!' he seemlessly chimes '...but I really think they could go Maroney here!!'

It's that simple.
    I watched both but was really impressed with the job NFL NETWORK did.

Rich Eisen, Mike Mayock and Cory Chavous were terrific IMO.
    Last edited by CT. JETS FAN; 05-03-2006 at 05:43 PM.

All League
    I dont like Kiper at all. I am not sure about this, but I beleive he got 5 out of 32 picks right on the first round of his mock draft. Pretty sorry for a so called draft expert.
    granted he didnt do well predicting what teams they went to he does a good job ranking players at there positions..i follow the draft like you guys do get all the publications...hes the only one who had clemens rated behind young and leinart and tied with croyle....where the players came off the board at each position..he is right on...just looking at body language i think kiper is done with espn with there circus act with irvin sitting at the table doing his clown act....kiper is better off on nfl network w.mike mayock.__________________

Rookie
    Kiper is a TV analyst and nothing more. He doesn't watch tape and is an average talent evaluator. Nuff said..

All League
    Kiper is a TV analyst and nothing more. He doesn't watch tape and is an average talent evaluator. Nuff said..
    how do u know he doesnt watch tape???

If Kiper were such an expert, dont you think just one of the teams would invest in his services? if nothing else, to block what he knows from all other teams?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

not just you, he is a fraud

Veteran
    Can't you see through these guys! thats why they call it show business..

All League
    If Kiper were such an expert, dont you think just one of the teams would invest in his services? if nothing else, to block what he knows from all other teams?
    i think you guys are missing the boat..no one can predict whos going to be a pro bowler or hall of famer but kiper is just someone who spends all his time studying the players and just gives his educated opinion on the player based on all the info he has collected..nothing more than what i would do if i didnt have to work a job and support a family..he just lucked out and has a job that enables him to do this

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10
    how do u know he doesnt watch tape???
    Let me rephrase that because that came out wrong. He doesn't watch the same amount of tape as a scout. Scouts poor over every clip they can get their hand on for hours and hours on end. That is their main focus for their job, to break down every aspect of a game for others to sort out. Kiper working for ESPN has a team of talent evaluators who watch tape and compile data for Kiper to decipher. Kind of like, the president of a big company who has money guys and insurance guys and managers who all report to him so he can do his job. Kiper has the same, guys who watch tape, guys who go to the combine, etc. It's just the nature of TV and a zillion schools all over the country that makes it impossible for one man to digest. But when Kiper goes off script or goes out on a limb his ignorance shows through loud and clear. Yes he does watch tape (I suspect it is just the clips put together by players for the draft) and yes he has some clue of what he is talking about, but he is an analyst and nothing more.

Kiper, and this is the most important part, talks to NFL teams to get an idea of what they are looking for and who they like. They don't tell him everything (that would be like telling the whole NFL) and that is where he gets caught with his foot in his mouth.
    Last edited by like2god; 05-03-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Mayock > Kiper

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    Mayock > Kiper
    Mayock is great, he isn't afraid to tell the truth on a prospect that he likes or doesn't like, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Chavous was good, but it must be tought being an active NFL player critiquing these guys that you will line up against next year in the NFL.

All League
    [QUOTE=Ikeyman3]Mayock is great, he isn't afraid to tell the truth on a prospect that he likes or doesn't like, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Chavous was good, but it must be tought being an active NFL player critiquing these guys that you will line up against next year in the NFL.[/
    QUOTE]

I think, honestly, that makes his comments that much more genuine.

I was really impressed.

Banned
    Kiper is a good starting point. If you want a little inside info on college guys, Kiper is IMO the ground floor. He is full of it. His job is so easy. Find a couple of guys...grade them.....if they bust, so what......if they are good, your good......it a vicsous cycle. There is much better draft experts out there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I like Kiper. But then again, I like Boomer too, and it seems eveyone hates him.

Who I DON'T like is Mikey Irvin, a waste of broadcast time if ever there was one.