Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the jets being more agressive in 2006

Banned

the jets being more agressive in 2006

I dont know about everybody else..but I am so psyched for the 2006 season to start for 1 big reason..the jets will finally be playing agressive football again..regardless of the win loss record..I like the fact that mangini has balls like grapefruits(compared to herm's raisans)..and,I would rather go 7-9 and go down fighting in every game..compared to going 9-7 and playing terrified to take any chances..I never enjoyed any game herm coached,I would just get aggravated..
    with that being said..that's why I am psyched..I can finally enjoy football again for the first time in 6 years..

Rookie
    I'll be honest, before the draft I thought the Jets would suffer another 2-5 win season. Pennington is injured and you traded away JA for a pick, the head coaching change, etc.. But I think you guys drafted really well, if D'Brick and Mangold play up to their potential and Ramsey is a servicable replacement, I think a 5-7 win season is more than likely. If Pennington comes back and can play well then I think you guys can be even better. Good luck

Banned
    I would not be surprised if the jets went 10-6..this reminds me of 97 all over again..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    I would rather go 7-9 and go down fighting in every game..compared to going 9-7 and playing terrified to take any chances..

To each their own I suppose. I'll take a boringly solid 9-7 Playoff season over a go-for-broke-and-lose 7-9 nothing-but-the-15th-draft-pick-to-look-forward-to season.

Winning is (almost) everything. The rest is semantics.

i hated how conservative we were

I dont know about everybody else..but I am so psyched for the 2006 season to start for 1 big reason..the jets will finally be playing agressive football again..regardless of the win loss record..I like the fact that mangini has balls like grapefruits(compared to herm's raisans)..and,I would rather go 7-9 and go down fighting in every game..compared to going 9-7 and playing terrified to take any chances..I never enjoyed any game herm coached,I would just get aggravated..
    with that being said..that's why I am psyched..I can finally enjoy football again for the first time in 6 years..
    we really played like we we scared. I always blamed wakett for the conservatism but after last year I saw how herm had a lot to do with it. I'm really psyched about the season to, especially now that we have new coaches and new players.

All Pro
    I would not be surprised if the jets went 10-6..this reminds me of 97 all over again..
    parcells, while I do think this team has some talent, 97 was different b/c Parcells was an experienced AFC East HC and he brought with him an ALL WORLD staff that he knew very well. Mangni will learn a lot of things on the job and most important perhaps his his chemistry with his staff. That will be huge! I think 5-7 wins is a safe bet and their is nothing wrong w/ that
    Last edited by LesterLyles; 05-07-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    not only aggressive, but unpredictable. martin won't dominate the offense, and we have some speed, with both of our 4th round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by like2god
    Good luck

Wow... A 'phins fan that I respect...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish

To each their own I suppose. I'll take a boringly solid 9-7 Playoff season over a go-for-broke-and-lose 7-9 nothing-but-the-15th-draft-pick-to-look-forward-to season.

Winning is (almost) everything. The rest is semantics.
    twist it..turn it..any which way you want..no matter how good the jets were under herm..they were never going to win a superbowl with him as coach..because he played scared..just like his ''mentor'' in tampa..all those good tampa bay teams played the same way..until chucky gruden came in with testicular fortitude and won a superbowl..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles
    parcells, while I do think tjis team has some rtalnet, 97 was different b/c Parcells was an experienced AFC East HC and he brougth with him an ALL WORLD staff that he knew very well. Mangni will learn a lot of things on the job abd most important perhaps his his chemistry with his staff. That wil be huge! I think 5-7 wins is a safe bet and their is nothing wrong w/ that
    97 had such a huge laundry list of problems that this staff doesn't have to deal with..heres just some..no indoor practice facilities..no offseason cond program..no players..no quarterback..the difference is..I dont think the jets are as bad talent wise as everybody is saying..I think herm was so incompotent that it will show this year..developing the young players such as baker, dblob, bthomas will take place this year..alot of underachievers will have big years..
    thats why..I'm not comparing coaches..

twist it..turn it..any which way you want..no matter how good the jets were under herm..they were never going to win a superbowl with him as coach..because he played scared..just like his ''mentor'' in tampa..all those good tampa bay teams played the same way..until chucky gruden came in with testicular fortitude and won a superbowl..

And the Colts under Dungy, clearly the best team going into the playoffs this year, couldn't pull it out either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1520
    And the Colts under Dungy, clearly the best team going into the playoffs this year, couldn't pull it out either.
    sorry about that..that was funny..you are so correct...

All Pro
    There was a play a couple of years ago that summed up the prior regime. Fear, pure fear. I can't remember the exact year or opponent, but I'll never forget the situation. The game was close, a couple of minutes before the end of the half and the Jets had a 3rd and goal from the nine yard line. Draw play to Curtis. He actual made a decent run, breaking a couple of tackles, but got stopped at around the 4 yard line. In that situation, you are not trying for a closer FG, it is already a chip shot. There was still too much time left in the half to be trying to run down the clock. You throw the ball in the end zone in a place where only the receiver can catch it. If incomplete, you kick a FG. This is coaching 101. Not Herm and Hackette. It was that play that first made me realize that Herm will never be a top HC.

Yes, aggressiveness will be a nice change.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaynard

Jet fans will see two drastic changes next season:

First, a far more aggressive team, especially on the defensive side of the football.

Two, unpredictability. The last 5 seasons the Jets were the most predictable football team in the NFL. That will change big-time this season.

Banned
    There was a play a couple of years ago that summed up the prior regime. Fear, pure fear. I can't remember the exact year or opponent, but I'll never forget the situation. The game was close, a couple of minutes before the end of the half and the Jets had a 3rd and goal from the nine yard line. Draw play to Curtis. He actual made a decent run, breaking a couple of tackles, but got stopped at around the 4 yard line. In that situation, you are not trying for a closer FG, it is already a chip shot. There was still too much time left in the half to be trying to run down the clock. You throw the ball in the end zone in a place where only the receiver can catch it. If incomplete, you kick a FG. This is coaching 101. Not Herm and Hackette. It was that play that first made me realize that Herm will never be a top HC.

true..and..when the previous regime would get inside the 10 yard line and the jets were down by 3..these were the calls..1st down run curtis martin..2nd down run curtis martin..3rd down flare pass to curtis in the flat..no gain..they wouldn't even attempt a throw in the endzone to try and go ahead..
    Last edited by bill parcells; 05-07-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Jet fans will see two drastic changes next season:

First, a far more aggressive team, especially on the defensive side of the football.

Two, unpredictability. The last 5 seasons the Jets were the most predictable football team in the NFL. That will change big-time this season.
    great point tex!!!I remember a couple of years ago herm came out and said during the week before a big game with the dolphins that the jets were going to run the ball..zach thomas didn't believe him..zach thought it was a trick and that the jets were going to throw the ball..of course the jets ran and ran and ran..
    the only predictable team on offense to win the superbowl was the 1990 giants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Draw play to Curtis . He actual made a decent run, breaking a couple of tackles, but got stopped at around the 4 yard line. In that situation, you are not trying for a closer FG, it is already a chip shot. There was still too much time left in the half to be trying to run down the clock. You throw the ball in the end zone in a place where only the receiver can catch it. If incomplete, you kick a FG. This is coaching 101. Not Herm and Hackette. It was that play that first made me realize that Herm will never be a top HC.

That play is the Stat Builder that Hackett loved to call for his main man Cumar!! And if you talking 2 years ago about the 04 season keep in mind just 1 draw play less or no two overtime Games with 371 carries, Martin don't win the Rushing title by 1 yd!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by savage69
    And if you talking 2 years ago about the 04 season keep in mind just 1 draw play less or no two overtime Games, Martin don't win the Rushing title by 1 yd!!
    now you're just nitpicking. no ot games??? i can say the same about alexander.

Veteran
    I think we will be more aggressive on both sides of the ball, especially in the passing game. However, I really hope we can re-establish a successful running attack. I'm excited about having a solid O line again and seeing what Washington can bring. I'd love it if Washington could be like a speedy Warrick Dunn for the Falcons so we could establish a thunder and lightning type of attack.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

I couldn't agree more TX, great point..

I remember when Parcells and Belly were here in NY, Offensively and Defensively it seemed like we never showed the same set twice in a game..On offense we would do 2 wide, 3 wide, 4 wide, and 5 wide..Different guy in motion all the time and we even split the TE out wide alot back then..Defense was the same way..Guys blitzing from all over, 3-4, 4-3, always rotating players, ect...Parcells and Belly were the best gameday coaches I have ever seen..Each week they coached different based on our opponent...With Herm we had a plan and never went away from it..

With Herm we were so predictable..It is gona be the exact opposite now..
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-07-2006 at 04:09 PM.