Thread: has anyone ever been to a PGA tour event?

Practice Squad

has anyone ever been to a PGA tour event?

I'm thinking of getting tickets to the Barclay's classic in westchester, but i'm alittle confused.

There are 35 dollar tickets which are general grounds admission and 70 dollar ones for fairways........does anyone know what you get for 35 bucks? Do you not get to watch the matches up close? Wherelse would you stand though but by either the fairways or by the green?

Has anyone ever been to one? what are they like" any fun?

THanks

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsgreen4life
    I'm thinking of getting tickets to the Barclay's classic in westchester, but i'm alittle confused.

There are 35 dollar tickets which are general grounds admission and 70 dollar ones for fairways........does anyone know what you get for 35 bucks? Do you not get to watch the matches up close? Wherelse would you stand though but by either the fairways or by the green?

THanks
    That must be something somewhat new.

I've been to events at Baltusrol and Winged Foot, had a great time at both places. I usually go on the Wednesday practice round, the players are relaxed and will yuck it up a bit with you. At Balty bsing with Fuzzy and Daly at a tee box for a par 3. Good stuff.

All League
    Practice rounds are the best. The players have more fun with the fans and it is easier to get around. I am not sure what the difference is between the two passes you mentioned. The best way to go to an event is to pick a couple of good holes and just move around from grandstand to grandstand if you are going during the actual tournament. During a practice round you will probably have more fun up around the greens. the players drop a number of balls up there in different areas and joke with the fans. Have fun.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I worked The Honda Classic in Fla for 7 years till it moved to Mirasol. If you can get the time off from work I suggest you volunteer. It will cost you a bit to buy your uniform, was $4o last time I worked it, but you get inside the ropes and up close with the pros. Met Daly (great guy), Fuzzy Zoeller (as funny as advertised) and many more. Also here you got a discounted rate to play the course. Worth checking into.

All League
    Used to live in jacksonville, saw the TPC every year....in DC, I went to TPC at Avenel a few times....went to Augusta this year to a practice round after being in the lottery for about 6 years....all of it great stuff!

Never heard of the division you describe...usually it's general admisssion and clubhouse being the two 'classes' of tickets...with the clubhouse ones obviously giving you access to the clubhouse (and dining facilities, pro shops etc and a chance to get out of the sun/rain). Not usually necessary IMO..you'll see just as much with the gen admission.

Veteran
    I use to cover golf for a radio station in Vegas, I've been to three US Opens and two PGA's, It's usually one general admission for the grounds, I never heard of a fairway pass, perhaps they're trying to maximise their profits.

BTW you need to get to Winged Foot for the Open, great course.

Practice Squad
    I was at the open at shinnecock a few years ago...they didnt have different price tickets, they just got more expensive as the days went on

All League

THanks
    I went to the Westchester every year for about 15 years. Volunteered the last 5. I remember when it was the Manufacturer's Hanover Westchester Classic! Yikes! A beautiful place! Old style golf!
    I am now in Fla. and I don't care how classy the course down here, it can't touch a nice 'up north' track.
    I go to the TPC at Sawgrass & Honda Classic every year. I love watching it live!
    The 2 ticket prices has me stumped too.
    About 8-10 years back the Tour started an 'inside the ropes' type thing where you could navigate the course a little easier, with less traffic, for twice the price. It lasted about 3 or 4 years. Too many complaints from the general public, I think.
    Could they be restarting that?
    As far as watching golf at Westchester: there is a spot that is at the 16th green. If they haven't changed you can see an approach shot, tee shot & Par 3 tee shot & putts from there. PLUS..beer tents within 50 ft!! NICE!
    I recommend you walk the whole thing to see how nice it is then plant yourself at 16.
    Enjoy! Have a cold one for me!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks!
    I went to the Westchester every year for about 15 years. Volunteered the last 5. I remember when it was the Manufacturer's Hanover Westchester Classic! Yikes! A beautiful place! Old style golf!
    I am now in Fla. and I don't care how classy the course down here, it can't touch a nice 'up north' track.
    I go to the TPC at Sawgrass & Honda Classic every year. I love watching it live!
    The 2 ticket prices has me stumped too.
    About 8-10 years back the Tour started an 'inside the ropes' type thing where you could navigate the course a little easier, with less traffic, for twice the price. It lasted about 3 or 4 years. Too many complaints from the general public, I think.
    Could they be restarting that?
    As far as watching golf at Westchester: there is a spot that is at the 16th green. If they haven't changed you can see an approach shot, tee shot & Par 3 tee shot & putts from there. PLUS..beer tents within 50 ft!! NICE!
    I recommend you walk the whole thing to see how nice it is then plant yourself at 16.
    Enjoy! Have a cold one for me!
    awesome thanks for the info

Practice Squad
    Thanks for the info everyone. My buddy told me that the difference between the two prices is that with the fairway club, you get to to go to some tent that is air conditioned and watch on tv and eat some snacks for free.......not worth it , if i wanted to watch it on tv, i'd stay home

All League
    Thanks for the info everyone. My buddy told me that the difference between the two prices is that with the fairway club, you get to to go to some tent that is air conditioned and watch on tv and eat some snacks for free.......not worth it , if i wanted to watch it on tv, i'd stay home
    Capitalism at its best/worst!
    Screw that! Stay outside for half the money and have twice the fun!

All Pro
    Yeah I have been to the Westchester CC when they had the inside the ropes policy. My understanding though it was a lot more money for those tickets. The difference might be for where you can go to get your amenities.

Charter JI Member
    Don't underestimate the VIP tents...easy access to brews, and if weather rolls in you have a place to go.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    Don't underestimate the VIP tents...easy access to brews, and if weather rolls in you have a place to go.
    Just where I want to be during a lightening storm! Under a flimsey canvas tent with a metal frame while standing next to an aluminum keg! Light up my life baby!!!!

Jus' bustin yer chops Jetswin.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I was at the PGA last year in Baltusrol on Saturday. It was 110 degrees in the shade. Didn't enjoy it. Will stick to watching it on TV from now on.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    Just where I want to be during a lightening storm! Under a flimsey canvas tent with a metal frame while standing next to an aluminum keg! Light up my life baby!!!!

Jus' bustin yer chops Jetswin.
    If you put your head under the tap it'll help put out the fire!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    If you put your head under the tap it'll help put out the fire!
    which one?

All League
    True. I know I am contradicting myself here. Sorry.
    At Sawgrass we have 'tent privileges' every year. They are comp'ed through my brother-in-law's company. They have come in handy BIG TIME the last few years because of rain, plus free chow and cocktails a-plenty!

All League
    I used to go to Westchester all the time when it used to be the Buick...

I don't remember hearing about the greens/fairway tickets, though I only went on a tournament day once.

Conkboy nailed it on the head when he said that practice rounds are the best. You just stroll around the club and pop into players all the time. I've met so many, including Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els. Still haven't caught the Tiger yet, though he's never been there when I have. Trust me, if a player is out there practicing you'll be able to get him. It's a lot of fun too cause the players are out there jokin around with the fans... one of the best sports experiences I think for a fan.