Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to know to not suck at Fantasy Football

Veteran

What do I need to know to not suck at Fantasy Football

Is it too early in the season to talk about this? I went to that forum and nobody was there, so here it goes.

I am a relative newbie to fantasy football. I played with 11 strangers last season on CBS sportsline. It was fun, but I came in dead last. Lesson one learned: Don't pick only Jets player for your fantasy team.

So a friend and I are going to have a team on an old college friend's league and he said we were the only ladies that have ever played in his league. So, since I don't want to let them just take my money without putting up some sort of a fight, I need advice. I know football, I know the teams, I know the Jets and I know the big name/high profile players. What I don't know about are those other guys that are going to end up on my team.

What tools or knowledge or information do I need to have to not come in last? So far I have ESPN Insider and you guys. I have a few months to figure this out. I have three little kids so not a lot of time to sit and read and study online, but I do have a lot of time to mull things over.

Any advice, unless it is from SAR saying I need to start a naked fantasy football league, is appreciated.

Kate

All Pro
    sleeping with the commissioner of your league would be a good place to start.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hanzo
    sleeping with the commissioner of your league would be a good place to start.
    Let me keep Big Ben and Antonio Gates and I'll consider it.

SAR I

Veteran
    A lot depends on your scoring rules, but draft two running backs early (low supply of starters in the league). Wait until the middle rounds to grab a QB. Don't draft a kicker or team defense until your last two picks.

So, you may want to 2-3 Wrs and 2-3 WRs with your first 5 or 6 picks. Then go for a QB. It works for me every year. Oh, and if you have to draft a TE, you can grab a good second tier TE in the middle rounds. Gates has always been money, but he may take a step back with Rivers. Gonzalez is too up and down. You're better off with a guy like Cooley.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE
    A lot depends on your scoring rules, but draft two running backs early (low supply of starters in the league). Wait until the middle rounds to grab a QB. Don't draft a kicker or team defense until your last two picks.

So, you may want to 2-3 Wrs and 2-3 WRs with your first 5 or 6 picks. Then go for a QB. It works for me every year. Oh, and if you have to draft a TE, you can grab a good second tier TE in the middle rounds. Gates has always been money, but he may take a step back with Rivers. Gonzalez is too up and down. You're better off with a guy like Cooley.
    Thanks, NYRAGE, this is the kind of info I'm talking about. Appreciate it.

Kate

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

1. Don't take any Jet players. None have any fantasy value. But if your league uses IDP (individual defensive players), Vilma would be a good selection.

2. I agree with NYRage, take two RBs out of your first three picks. They touch the ball much more (20-30 times touching a ball in a game) than WR's and TE's (10 touches per game maximum).

3. Take a kicker and team defense with your last two picks. If either doesn't pan out, you'll be able to use the waiver wire and get a new one at any time. In fact, I usually pick up a new defense every week and play match-ups (i.e. Buffalo defense against San Francisco would be a favorable match-up).

4. Take more RB's in the late rounds. 4-6 total RB's.

5. You can wait to take a QB until the middle rounds - always quality QB's in the 4th and 5th rounds. Take only 2 QB's (maybe 3), all you need is someone to fill in on bye weeks when your stud QB is not playing.

6. Take players from the teams with high-powered offenses. Indy, Cincy, Seattle, KC, Denver, etc.

HTH

All Pro
    I missed my draft two years ago and the auto pick featue in the Yahoo league I was in got me 1st place.

Hall Of Fame
    another way to go is to go after positions 1 rd earlier than usual, then do a more traditional approach. You can get TO, gates, etc

take wr in rd 1
    take te in rd 2
    take def in rd 3
    take k in rd 4

this way you get the 4 best players at 4 positions....

I'm not saying its the best way, but Its a thought

Hall Of Fame
    basically draft Vinny Testaverde with your first pick, before the others can get him. i did that myself as a newb in fantasy football (only played the last 2 years), and boy, let me tell you something, that worked out great. i think i went like 6-8 the first year, and 3-11 last year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16
    basically draft Vinny Testaverde with your first pick, before the others can get him. i did that myself as a newb in fantasy football (only played the last 2 years), and boy, let me tell you something, that worked out great. i think i went like 6-8 the first year, and 3-11 last year.
    i know me and you don't see eye to eye, but you can join my league when it starts up

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac
    i know me and you don't see eye to eye, but you can join my league when it starts up
    how can i do any good if Vinny retires?

Banned
    how can i do any good if Vinny retires?
    He has an identical twin, seperated at birth. His name? Drew Bledsoe.

SAR I

Moderator VIP Visionary
    LOL, Kate if you have come this far, now is the time to quit. Buzz has all the dope you need.

But 16 is available for a price, maybe (j/k)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    LOL, Kate if you have come this far, now is the time to quit. Buzz has all the dope you need.
    Yes, Buzz always knows just the right things to say.

Banned
    Don't draft injury plagued guys.

Keep in mind fantasy football has led to many people losin friends over $.

Rookies r tough 2 take high.

Draft for depth at running back.

How many Qb's in your league?

Teams like arizona that sux put up good offensive stats. Further teams w/ good d's dont' put up as good stats as they could.

I won the league last year w/ major injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    Drafting running backs in the first 3 rounds is a must. There aren't enough good ones to go around. Just make sure during the draft that you do not draft too many players at the same position with the same bye weeks. Also, do not draft too many players from the same team. They have a bad week and get shutout, so do you. There are only two or three top tight ends in the league, if you don't get Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, or Jason Witten, do not panic and take a second-tier guy too early when there are still good players at other positions. You will regret it later. Drafting rookies hardly ever pan out (unless they play running back). Don't jump on the bandwagon too early when a no name player has a good game(Frisman Jackson, Chris Baker, etc.) and you drop a good player to pick them up only to see them not do crap the rest of the year. And I agree with everyone else, draft your defense and kicker last. Don't draft any Jets except maybe Nugent and try to draft players from high-powered offenses(Arizona, Seattle, Carolina, etc.). And don't draft Michael Vick, he sucks as a fantasy quarterback.

I hope this helps!!

Brian
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 06-06-2006 at 03:18 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Thanks, NYRAGE, this is the kind of info I'm talking about. Appreciate it.

Kate
    Don't listen to ol' Ragey! The man is trying to pull the wool over your eyes!

My opinion has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that Rage whupped my butt in our fantasy league last year, of course!

Actually, in all honesty he's giving you pretty sound advice there. I'll be using similar tactics this year in an attempt to improve on last year's performace (11th in a 12 player league, ouch!).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails
    I missed my draft two years ago and the auto pick featue in the Yahoo league I was in got me 1st place.

all you need to know is that fantasy football is a complete crapshoot - it's all luck. I play all the major fantasy sports and this one is the hardest to prepare for, the hardest to trend and in general the most based on pure luck.

ARE YOU HIGH KID

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

WHY YOU OBSESSED WITH VINNY

Veteran
    Check the scoring rules - some leagues have bonus points for 300 yard games, 100 yds for WR/RB/TE, and more points per yard for TE's. (I'm in a league where the bonuses favor the TE position, so I took Gonzalez in the 2nd round). A big one is the return man - do you get the TD for Santana Moss the WR if he returns a punt for a TD?

Also, if you have a flex player - where you only play a TE in 8 games and 3 WR's in the rest.

Also, is it a keeper league? Last year I drafted Larry Johnson in the 5th round when he probably had a 7th round value because I knew there was a good chance Priest was done. Now I keep him and he's a likely top 3 pick (unless Herm ruins him).

As for composition of your roster, only carry 3 WR's, 1K and 1D - there is always someone available if you need one. Use the roster to carry guys with upside like Matt Jones, or backups who play behind fantasy beasts like the Giants RB Jacobs, or Davenport in GB.

Last, don't go for flash - it's numbers. Reggie Bush is a flash pick - he'll only touch the ball 6 or 8 times a game until Halloween. Don't get suckered in. TO is both...the guy is a solid pick between 14 and 20.

Last (again), be sure your whole team doesn't have the same bye week (DUH).