Thread: Who from the draftees will become starters?

Hall Of Fame

Who from the draftees will become starters?

In every draft class you have a net gain. What we are looking at right now in the Jets rookies is a GROSS gain. All this is right now is talent ON PAPER. Nobody really knows whether these players will work out for the team in the LONG-TERM.

So with that being said, the questions bear asking, "Who will end up being MAINSTAYS for the team over the next 4 seasons at least?" I'm talking about players from the Jets draft class or UDFA that will end being starting players on offense or defense.

Special teams IMO is only a part-time job. A very important part-time job, but just the same a part-time job. So I'm not talking about any role players that the team will hold on to for a couple of years and then cut when they find a better solution. I'm talking about players, when healthy, will give you at somewhere in the area of 50% of the snaps per game.

Now my feeling is, when it is all said and done, that the Jets will have 4 new every day starters as yield from this draft class.

D'Brick is a no brainer. Just install him at LT on day one and forget about that spot for the next 8 to 10 seasons.

I also figure that Nick Mangold could potentially start opening day at guard and eventually be weened into center for many years to come. From there is where it gets a little sketchy.

Certainly Kellen Clemens will not be a day one starter, but there is a very real possibility, he could be our starting QB two or three seasons from today. So in the end, I am figuring Clemens will one of our net gain players.

After that, the only guy I see having a chance at cracking the starting lineup is Leon Washington. That is certainly no guarantee though. Cedric Houston IMO played very well for the Jets down the stretch last season considering what he was thrown into. He will certainly have something to say about who becomes the heir apparent to Curtis. But I'm thinking because Washington is a Tangini pick he will eventually become the starter and Houston maybe assuming a backup role.

So there is my belief on who will end up being major part of the teams plans in the long-term.

Who do you believe will end up being those types of players over the long haul?

Banned
    Hey Maine i agree with you totally. Brick and Mangold are certain to start and Clemens and Washington in a season or two. We will have a good Rb tandem with Houston gaining the tough yards and Washington breaking off a few 20 yard runs. Smith and Schlegel will only start if there are injuries.

Veteran
    I recently heard/read that the ONLY "hold-over" LB on the roster who "fits" the new 3-4 system is ERIC BARTON! Schlegel can be an effective player in theis system, IMO. Chatham, and Kassell fit right in as well. I'm sure that Vilma has a place here as well, he's way too good to be displaced. I know that's 5 LB's I just named, but I think that this will eventually be the group that's MOST effective throughout the season. Hobson may prove to be too slow to be more than a back-up.

D'Brick and Mangold will be immediate starters. Clemens is the future at QB. Brad Smith is a "wildcard" at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_jetsfan_10
    Smith and Schlegel will only start if there are injuries.
    That's my feeling as well. And in 3 years from now when we look back on this draft, we will be looking at the most obvious people first. So naturally we would be looking at starters. Role players like Smith, won't be considered a huge gain for the team.

Truly that is when the real grades for teams draft success come out.

In my mind, there is one type of grading scale on the day of the draft. There is an entirely different grading scale (and this is probably the grade that matters most) after 3 or so seasons..........

Not so

from what I've heard of the guy I think Schlegel(sp?) will be a starter because I think our speed linebackers will be constantly rotated in and out of the lineup while our mainstays at linebacker will be the run stuffers. I don't believe Leon Washington will be much more than a 3rd down, change-of-pace back a la Kevin Faulk (I know. . .again with the Pats references.) I think Brad Smith will find a niche at wide receiver/returner. Does that make him a starter?

Veteran
    In San Diego, Schottenheimer had all of LT's mutliple facets to work with. I believe that Washington will be used as ONE of those facets. A pass catching, 3rd down back, with the speed to get around the corner and make plays that way.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern 80
    I recently heard/read that the ONLY "hold-over" LB on the roster who "fits" the new 3-4 system is ERIC BARTON! Schlegel can be an effective player in theis system, IMO. Chatham, and Kassell fit right in as well. I'm sure that Vilma has a place here as well, he's way too good to be displaced. I know that's 5 LB's I just named, but I think that this will eventually be the group that's MOST effective throughout the season. Hobson may prove to be too slow to be more than a back-up.

D'Brick and Mangold will be immediate starters. Clemens is the future at QB. Brad Smith is a "wildcard" at this point.
    My feeling is if Vilma doesn't fit the system of a coach, the coach has to change his system. You work to your strengths, and Vilma is our best player on D and maybe on the whole team. If the coach isn't aware of that he won't be around long.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversteady
    I think Brad Smith will find a niche at wide receiver/returner. Does that make him a starter?
    No. I don't believe that does. I agree with you that Brad Smith will end up being a Antwaan Randall El type guy. But where he wouldn't line up on each and every down, I that classifies him as a role player.........

Hall Of Fame
    In San Diego, Schottenheimer had all of LT's mutliple facets to work with. I believe that Washington will be used as ONE of those facets. A pass catching, 3rd down back, with the speed to get around the corner and make plays that way.
    You may be correct. No one for sure knows. That's why this is an interesting thread IMO......

All Pro
    I was a big Bruce Harper fan. But this guy looks much stronger.

Rookie
    Brick for sure, maybe Gold...

Interested to see how they'll use Schlegel... (2 downs, vs run?)
    Last edited by @lex; 06-07-2006 at 10:10 AM.