Thread: Berger's Newest Blog -- thursday 2nd session -- thoughts on day one

Hall Of Fame

Berger's Newest Blog -- thursday 2nd session -- thoughts on day one

June 15, 2006
    Thoughts on Day One

By Ken Berger
    With two practices in the books on Day One of the Jets' mandatory minicamp, some thoughts, observations, and things you need to know:
    * While it was difficult to measure Pennington's progress given that only the short passing portion of the offense has been installed, I thought he looked extremely well-versed in the offense and his throws -- short as they were -- looked crisp and accurate. He hit his stride in the two-minute drill late in the afternoon practice, looking completely in control.
    * Kellen Clemens has a lot to learn, but he definitely looks the part. He's a cool customer, can command a huddle, and seems to have "it." Mangini said Clemens spends so much time at the complex studying that he might as well move in.
    * As expected, Bryan Thomas is working mostly as a stand-up outside linebacker, the hybrid role played by Willie McGinest in New England. I have no doubts about Thomas' ability to pursue upfield and laterally, but I wonder about his ability to drop into coverage.
    * I think Dewayne Robertson will be OK at nose tackle, but the Jets will need somebody more stout at the point of attack to clog running lanes on obvious running downs. I can't tell yet if Sione Pouha is the answer. One thing I know: I don't like Robertson as an end. He's not long enough.
    * Leon Washington is a nifty runner who has potential as a return man.
    * Drew Coleman, an undrafted rookie from TCU, fought for a nice interception in the afternoon practice. I predict his name will keep coming up.
    * There are so many pre-snap checks and hand signals in the Jets' new offense that it reminds me of Peyton Manning's scheme. If Pennington can get healthy, this style of offense plays directly to his strengths: reading defenses and making quick decisions to exploit weaknesses he observes at the line of scrimmage.
    * Eric Mangini's practices seem more structured and detail-oriented than Herm Edwards' were. But I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet. Don't forget how it works in the NFL: Every time a team goes from a so-called "players' coach" to a disciplinarian, there is a groundswell of opinion that a little discipline is just what the team needed. A few years later, when the disciplinarian is fired and replaced by a so-called "players' coach," the prevailing thought is that the players had become sick of the discipline and needed a coach to "treat us like men." I predict that this will become a storyline in training camp, but Mangini will be judged on the results on the field over a period of several years, not on his practice style.

June 15, 2006 | Permalink | Comments (7)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    You bolded the wrong part of this, I'll fix it for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    * Kellen Clemens has a lot to learn, but he definitely looks the part. He's a cool customer, can command a huddle, and seems to have "it." Mangini said Clemens spends so much time at the complex studying that he might as well move in..

That's the part that is noteworthy. All rookies have alot to learn especially with a new offense being installed. While you are at it you might as well point out that the sky is blue.

The fact that Clemens has those intangables; Good command of the huddle and great work ethic/study habits is what is very noteworthy and bodes well for Clemens and the future of the Jets.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-16-2006 at 04:25 PM.

All League
    Good read. I like Berger a lot with the blog. He sounds more like a fan than a biased reporter with a personal agenda.

As far as what he says...

1. I'm glad to see Chad is back in control with crisp passes. I'm rooting for him just as I have always been since he came to the team, but I'm not going to proclaim him the starter now by any means. It's not his poise, control, or intelligence I am worried about. We will see if he's ready when his physical ability is tested and the passes need to go longer than 15 yards.

2. Kellen Clemens definitely has the potential to be the starter of the future. I like what I am hearing so far, but believe that he has a lot to learn. Let's not throw him into the fire this season, as we have two veteran starters on our roster.

3. I really hope BT works out at outside linebacker. You really hate to see first round draft picks go to waste, and this could be the spark he needs to reiginite his career. The talent and athletic ability are there, lets see him use it in a new position where he can definitely be effective.

4. DROB is a big guy and we have to at least let him try the NT. Again, I'd hate to see a first round pick not pan out (especially one we traded two picks for) but if he does not fit on this team, then he has no place on it. It appears he won't work out at DE, and that makes sense. Let's give him a whirl at NT and go from there.

5. People said Leon was a steal when we got him. Having him, Justin Miller, and Dwight all as potential return men will scare opponents.

6. I said "Who?" when we drafted Coleman, but it so far appears that Mangini and Tannebaum knew what they were doing in the later rounds. Still very early, though.

7. The new offense is very enticing, and does play right into Chad's hands. He's a very smart, accurate passer, and when he is in control of a game he's dangerous under center.

8. We can't start criticizing Mangini now for having discipline, as this is the second day of a minicamp for crying out loud. All I know is that I like what I have heard so far, and believe that this team is on the right track.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    You bolded the wrong part of this, I'll fix it for you:

That's the part that is noteworthy. All rookies have alot to learn especially with a new offense being installed. While you are at it you might as well point out that the sky is blue.

The fact that Clemens has those intangables; Good command of the huddle and great work ethic/study habits is what is very noteworthy and bodes well for Clemens and the future of the Jets.
    okie-dokey, pardner.