Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: supplemental draft

Veteran

supplemental draft

Do we get involved for Ahmed Brooks? I certainly wouldn't use a #1 but if he falls through would we use a #2 or is this guy just too much of a potential headache?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I would LOVE to make a run at Brooks. He's the ideal 3-4 OLB. It wouldn't surprise if we offer one of our 2nd rounders in the supplemental draft. Mangini has connections with Groh and that's one of the main reasons we took D'Brick.

Banned
    wouldn't this go against our great big hard on for character guys?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Don't look now...

Dolphins GM meets with linebacker Ahmad Brooks

BY JASON COLE
    jcole@MiamiHerald.com
    The Dolphins have taken an interest in former University of Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who is considered by many the top player available in the NFL's supplemental draft on July 13.

Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller and director of college scouting Ron Labadie were among those who attended Brooks' workout Thursday.

Mueller and Labadie met with Brooks after the workout.

In addition, the Dolphins sent Brooks to Michigan last week to meet with Lon Rosen, a psychologist and longtime friend of Dolphins coach Nick Saban, agent Greg Williams said Friday.

Rosen does character research on players for Saban.

Williams also said he presented information to scouts, coaches and executives in attendance, showing that Brooks has passed drug tests taken on a regular basis over the past two months. Williams acknowledged that Brooks had ''issues'' with drug use during college.

Brooks was arrested in March 2003 on a marijuana possession charge.

According to two sources, Brooks failed multiple drug tests for marijuana use during college.

That led to the school's dismissal of him from the team this winter.

''Ahmad knows that he has to make good decisions in the future and change the people he hangs out with if he's going to take advantage of the athletic talent he has,'' Williams said. ``He's a good kid who wants to get this turned around and be an example to kids about how someone can change for the better.''

Brooks weighed 260 pounds, down approximately 30 pounds from two months ago. The weight issue is another question for NFL teams.

Brooks was considered one of the top high school players in Virginia history before going to college.

Some scouts have said he has the talent to be a first-round pick.

However, the off-field issues could drop Brooks into the fourth or fifth round of the supplemental draft.

Sounds like he's right up Saban's alley.

Untouchable, you've lost your mind if you think Tangini would touch a guy like this with a 10 ft pole with all of his character flaws.

Good, Bad or indifferent, that's just the way it is. It's time to realize that and accept it.

Not in a million years.

Brooks has ZERO CHANCE of being a Jet, and you say a 2nd rounder Untouchable? You lost some credibility with that post.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-24-2006 at 10:38 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    Untouchable, you've lost your mind if you think Tangini would touch a guy like this with a 10 ft pole with all of his character flaws.

Not in a million years, Brooks has ZERO CHANCE of being a Jet, and you say a 2nd rounder Untouchable? You lost alot of credibility with that post.

Good, Bad or indifferent, that's just the way it is. It's time to realize that and accept it.
    If you've seen Brooks play then you would know he's a Top 10 talent who is definately worth a 2nd round pick. We have a big hole at OLB and I could see Mangini taking a gamble on him.

Yeah, he got in trouble for smoking weed a few times, but he's known as a very hardworker and he's an immense talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    If you've seen Brooks play then you would know he's a Top 10 talent who is definately worth a 2nd round pick. We have a big hole at OLB and I could see Mangini taking a gamble on him.

Yeah, he got in trouble for smoking weed a few times, but he's known as a very hardworker and he's an immense talent.
    You might be right about his talent UT but mark it down:

Brooks has ZERO CHANCE of becoming a Jet. Absolutely ZERO.

And by the way UT, no GM in their right mind would give up a 2nd round pick for a guy that just got kicked off his college team for drug use.

He may be a 2nd rounder based on his talent but with all of his character flaws, he'll be lucky to find a team willing to give up any draft pick for him at all.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-24-2006 at 10:44 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend

I wouldn't say that there's a 0% chance. I doubt that we end up taking him but I wouldn't count out the scenario completely. He fits the 3-4 system to a tee and we pick before Saban and the Phins.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I wouldn't say that there's a 0% chance. I doubt that we end up taking him but I wouldn't count out the scenario completely. He fits the 3-4 system to a tee and we pick before Saban and the Phins.
    Zero Chance.

If he has any chance of finding an NFL team willing to take a risk on him it would almost definitely be Saban and the Dolphins.

Saban seems to love getting egg on his face which in my opinion, will eventually be his undoing in Miami.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-24-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Zero Chance.

If he has any chance of finding an NFL team willing to take a risk on him it would almost definitely be Saban and the Dolphins.

Saban seems to love getting egg on his face which in my opinion, will eventually be his undoing in Miami.
    ... agreed ...

... bringing him in is the antithesis of everything the new regime stands for ... it will never happen ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... agreed ...

... bringing him in is the antithesis of everything the new regime stands for ... it will never happen ...

l_j_r
    Sometimes you have to break the cardinal rule. Belichick brought in Corey Dillon and drafted Bethel Johnson. They both had character problems.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2499150

In the 2005 supplemental draft, the Miami Dolphins used a fifth-round selection on Manuel Wright, a talented but habitually underachieving defensive tackle from Southern California. For their investment, the Dolphins got an out-of-shape and immature defender, a guy who played in only three games and recorded four tackles and who reported back to work this spring in dubious condition.

But say this for Nick Saban: Just because the Dolphins' coach was once bitten in the supplemental draft doesn't mean he will be twice shy about using it again to add a young defender.

Which is why, more than just about any other team in the league, the Dolphins are eyeing linebacker Ahmad Brooks, the former University of Virginia star booted off the squad by coach Al Groh for a series of undisclosed infractions, as a possible choice in the July 13 supplemental draft.

The Dolphins were one of 22 teams represented on Thursday at Brooks' audition for league scouts. But in terms of due diligence, Miami has already done more background work than most franchises on Brooks, a player with enormous physical ability but a history of poor judgments off the field. That includes sending him recently to meet with Lon Rosen, a psychologist and close friend of Saban who has done personality reports in the past for the Miami coach.

It appears that Miami and San Francisco, which is scheduled to bring Brooks to the Bay Area next week for a one-on-one session, are the teams most interested in him. A team that exercises a pick in the supplemental draft must forfeit a choice in the corresponding round in next year's regular draft.

Although he possesses first-round physical skills, Brooks, clearly the top prospect in the supplemental draft at this point, is more likely to be chosen in the middle rounds. If that's the case, the Dolphins, prone to take a few chances on players -- as was the case when they signed former Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick last month as an undrafted free agent -- could be the club that chooses Brooks.

Saban is attempting to gradually remake an aging defense. He added three starters in the last two drafts and there remains some hope that Wright will yet become a player. Plus, many scouts feel Brooks will be best suited to playing in a 3-4 front, the alignment that Saban wants to eventually make his base defense. New defensive coordinator Dom Capers has coached the 3-4 virtually his entire NFL career.

At 6-feet-3 and 260 pounds, having shed more than 30 pounds in the past two months, Brooks certainly has the prototype frame for a 3-4 linebacker. And although Miami star Zach Thomas has demonstrated no signs of slippage, he is entering his 11th season and will be 33 when the campaign begins, and the Dolphins will soon have to start thinking about grooming his eventual successor.

Brooks is big enough to play inside linebacker and quick enough, as evidenced by 13 sacks and 31 quarterback pressures in three seasons at Virginia, to move outside and rush the passer. He also had 234 tackles, 21 tackles for losses, two forced fumbles, an interception and 14 passes defensed.

All of which means it won't be surprising if Saban and the Dolphins roll the dice in the supplemental draft for the second year in a row.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET
    All of which means it won't be surprising if Saban and the Dolphins roll the dice in the supplemental draft for the second year in a row.
    Ahmad Brooks is a MUCH more talented player than Manuel Wright. It's not even close.

If it wasn't for Brooks getting kicked out of UVA, he would've challenged A.J. Hawk as the top LB prospect in the draft.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ahmad Brooks is a MUCH more talented player than Manuel Wright. It's not even close.

If it wasn't for Brooks getting kicked out of UVA, he would've challenged A.J. Hawk as the top LB prospect in the draft.
    I agree

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I agree

But i will say this...Saban is really taking chances on bad character guys..I mean they have quite a few..It's one thing to have one or two but they have a bunch, which means there are great chances of things blowing up in Dolphin Land..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sometimes you have to break the cardinal rule. Belichick brought in Corey Dillon and drafted Bethel Johnson. They both had character problems.
    Are you kidding me?

The only thing Dillon ever did was bit*ch about losing all the time in Cincinnatti. He's been fine as a member of the Pats.

Other than a lousy work ethic, What character issues did Bethel Jonson have?

I agree with ARod, Mangini won't touch Brooks with a 10-foot pole.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Are you kidding me?

The only thing Dillon ever did was bit*ch about losing all the time in Cincinnatti. He's been fine as a member of the Pats.

Sounds so gay lol jk.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You don't think that Mangini and Tannenbaum are atleast THINKING about Brooks right now? Both Eric and Mike have already said they're going to look under every rock to find good players who fit the system.

Brooks is an immense talent who fits the 3-4 system to a tee. You and ARod are nuts if you don't think Tangini isn't contemplating the idea.

Veteran
    Are you kidding me?

A lousy work ethic is exactly the kind of character issue that Mangini would and has stayed away from.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAJet
    A lousy work ethic is exactly the kind of character issue that Mangini would and has stayed away from.
    Bethel Johnson was a waste of talent because he was so damn lazy.

Hall Of Fame

And by the way UT, no GM in their right mind would give up a 2nd round pick for a guy that just got kicked off his college team for drug use.

He may be a 2nd rounder based on his talent but with all of his character flaws, he'll be lucky to find a team willing to give up any draft pick for him at all.
    Is that why 31 teams showed up at his pro-day drooling at the possiblity of getting him, includeing the Jets?

Update on Ahmad Brooks, LB, Virginia, 6/22

Brooks held a workout for pro scouts on June 22 at the University of Virginia. On a 96-degree day and the heat index up at 110, Brooks ran on AstroTurf and worked out on grass that was dried-out. Bengals linebacker coach Ricky Hunley conducted the workout. There were representatives from 31 teams at the workout, with only the Vikings not in attendance. Mike Nolan from the 49ers was the only head coach there. He was joined by San Francisco VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan. Brooks will work out for the 49ers at their place for two days next week. Randy Mueller of the Dolphins, Mike Murphy from the Cowboys and Calvin Branch from the Raiders were also there.

Brooks lost 32 pounds in 10 weeks (he was measured at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds) and passed five drug tests in the last 10 weeks. He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40, with 10-yard splits of 1.53, 1.58 and 1.58 and 20-yard splits of 2.73, 2.75 and 2.75. His arm span measured 33 inches and his hands measured 9. He had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 long jump, a 4.43 short shuttle, an 11.84 long shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill and 19 benches. The conditions were not really good, just average.

The day before the workout, Brooks met with John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie (GB), had a meeting with Ricky Hunley (CIN) and had dinner with Jerry Reese (NYG).

Brooks, who played linebacker in college but might project as a Julius Peppers-type defensive end in the pros, missed six games with a right knee injury last year. He visited Dr. James Andrews on June 12 for the knee to be examined and that report was made available to all NFL teams.

Brooks' father, Perry Brooks, was a defensive tackle whom New England drafted in Round 7 in 1976. He never played for New England but played 92 games for Washington.

He will continue to work out under Chip Smith in Atlanta.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

He will be drafted, and it will be within the first 2 rounds of the supplemental draft. Based on his talent, he would be the Ideal 3-4 Middle Linebacker to sit next to Jonathan Vilma. And im sure Mangini could get the exact reason why he was kicked off right from Groh's mouth because of the Parcells connections so I could see if it was just Groh being the Nazi discliplinarian he is that we do take a chance on him.