Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For everybody mourning Jason Ferguson's loss.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post For everybody mourning Jason Ferguson's loss.

Contract lens: Rivera, Ferguson under the microscope

09:11 PM CDT on Monday, July 3, 2006
    By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING A year ago, they made up two-thirds of the biggest spending spree Jerry Jones has bankrolled as owner of the Cowboys.

Jason Ferguson and Marco Rivera received signing bonuses of $8.125 million a day apart, not long after cornerback Anthony Henry received a $10 million signing bonus.

Ferguson was supposed to anchor the Cowboys' transition to the 3-4 defense at nose tackle. Rivera was supposed to solve the offensive line mysteries from right guard, bringing an attitude the unit lacked for the last few years.

But it never really happened.

Ferguson suffered an ankle injury in training camp and was an expensive backup for most of the season after La'Roi Glover excelled. Rivera started 14 games but was not the player the Cowboys hoped for, largely because of a herniated disk that required back surgery not long after he signed.

This year, they hope to write different tales, yet both are aware of the scrutiny.

When Cowboys nose tackle Jason Ferguson (right) wasn't slowed by opposing linemen, he was limited by injuries. "I think people will be looking for me anyway to see what's going on because of the contract more than anything else," Ferguson said. "People know what I got, and they want to see what I'm going to do with it."

Ferguson started the final five games last season and recorded half his 42 tackles. But the Cowboys' run defense faltered when coach Bill Parcells chose to go with Ferguson and rookie Chris Canty over Glover and Greg Ellis. The Cowboys allowed three 100-yard rushers in the last five weeks after giving up just one in the first 11.

The Cowboys need Ferguson more this year than a year ago because Glover, a salary-cap casualty, is gone.

For a team that likes to rotate defensive linemen, the Cowboys are thin at nose tackle behind Ferguson. Parcells likes Thomas Johnson, an undrafted free agent a year ago, and drafted Montavious Stanley this year in the sixth round, but both are untested.

Ferguson said the workload in 2005 wasn't what he thought it would be, but that shouldn't be a problem in 2006.

"I didn't play like I wanted to play last year," Ferguson said. "I want to be more dominant. That's the main part of my game, to be more dominant in the middle. I had some games I lapsed in and some games I played well. I need to be more consistent."

When the Cowboys signed Rivera, they thought they had solved a problem they couldn't solve through the draft. They needed to upgrade at right guard, and Rivera had been to three straight Pro Bowls in Green Bay. They needed a leader on the line, and Rivera was it.

MICHAEL AINSWORTH / DMN
    Cowboys lineman Marco Rivera was limited last season with a neck injury. The back surgery changed everything, and then he missed the final two games with a neck injury. In addition to the physical problems, Rivera said the season was a strain mentally because of the things he couldn't do.

Like Ferguson on the defensive line, the Cowboys need Rivera to return to form because of other questions on the offensive line. Flozell Adams is returning from reconstructive knee surgery, free-agent signee Kyle Kosier is replacing Larry Allen at left guard, there is a two-man battle at center between Al Johnson and Andre Gurode and a three-man battle at right tackle between Rob Petitti, Jason Fabini and Marc Colombo.

Much of the Cowboys' success this season will depend on the line.

"There's only one way to answer all the questions, and that's by how you play on Sundays or Monday nights," offensive line coach Tony Sparano said. "Until then, keep your mouth closed, head down and keep going forward."

That's how Rivera attacked the off-season. He took a month off to heal but has been a regular at Valley Ranch even when he didn't need to be. He believes the off-season conditioning program has restored the strength in his legs, which were neglected while he rehabilitated his back.

"I'm feel like my old self," Rivera said. "Last year was basically a freak thing that happened, and I got behind the eight ball and never regained my power. I recommitted myself and hopefully, I'll be a lot better player."

The Cowboys hope that's the case with Rivera and Ferguson.

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

2 words..... Sione Pouha. He'll be a force in the middle this season for the Jets.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-05-2006 at 09:12 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    2 words..... Sione Pouha. He'll be a force in the middle this season for the Jets.
    Although he didn't play much I really didn't see anything special when he played in the preseason but he was just a rookie.

With his size and strength he could be a force..I just hope you are right man...we really need this guy to show up this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chase
    Although he didn't play much I really didn't see anything special when he played in the preseason but he was just a rookie.

With his size and strength he could be a force..I just hope you are right man...we really need this guy to show up this year.
    I think with his rookie year behind him, Pouha will be doing his best to quiet his critics and impress the new coaching staff.

Not to mention that I'm certain he wants to secure his roster spot beyond 2006 because if he doesn't step up this season he will most certainly be gone in 2007 and I have no doubt he is aware of that.

All League
    It's not Ferguson's loss that hurt the Jets, its the failure of Bradway to get an adequate replacement. Cimini had it right when he described Sione Pouha as looking like an old woman on the field. He was benched by the 'sparkling' play of James Reed and Lance Lagree.

The three speed bumps that replaced Jason Ferguson exposed Robertson and Vilma's liabilities, they both need a run stuffing interior tackle to take up (effectively) the double teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    It's not Ferguson's loss that hurt the Jets, its the failure of Bradway to get an adequate replacement. Cimini had it right when he described Sione Pouha as looking like an old woman on the field. He was benched by the 'sparkling' play of James Reed and Lance Lagree.

The three speed bumps that replaced Jason Ferguson exposed Robertson and Vilma's liabilities, they both need a run stuffing interior tackle to take up (effectively) the double teams.
    Wow, an excellent post by rajensen.

Hall Of Fame

Like who, Bobby?

All Pro
    just as it would expose any and every LBer without adequate support up front-that's what I mean sometimes about some of these always-bashing-trolls-they'll cite any stupid reason they could think of to call a Jets player a name or whatever their agenda for the day happens to be.
    Sometimes they'll actually show themselves to be smart football fans but for the few times they do they lose all credibility they've built up-just like Jensen does here.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Great thread, A-Rod; but the idea we are going to a 3-4 based on Pouha seems more remote than real. Things are happening VERY fast in there; leverage is the big equalizer. It's not just "how low to the ground", it is ALSO keeping your leverage going north/south. The best pros use highly refined technique to knock your leverage advantage down a peg or two.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    Great thread, A-Rod; but the idea we are going to a 3-4 based on Pouha seems more remote than real. Things are happening VERY fast in there; leverage is the big equalizer. It's not just "how low to the ground", it is ALSO keeping your leverage going north/south. The best pros use highly refined technique to knock your leverage advantage down a peg or two.
    I still think Pouha makes a big jump in his 2nd year. Time will tell.

Size and strength can't be coached, technique and leverage can.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    I still think Pouha makes a big jump in his 2nd year. Time will tell.

Size and strength can't be coached, technique and leverage can.
    I agree. And I want to be hopeful as well. But most of the top guards and cneters have been dealing with this stuff for years, so I am not so optimistic.

I hope you can flame me to death when he becomes the new media darling in New York for his unbeatable play. That would really make me happy.

That said, living in the SF Bay Area, I have made plenty of acquaintences with very large Tongan and Samoan guys; they look like NFL starters to me

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    I agree. And I want to be hopeful as well. But most of the top guards and cneters have been dealing with this stuff for years, so I am not so optimistic.

I hope you can flame me to death when he becomes the new media darling in New York for his unbeatable play. That would really make me happy.

That said, living in the SF Bay Area, I have made plenty of acquaintences with very large Tongan and Samoan guys; they look like NFL starters to me
    Yeah but this one actually played the part very effectively in college.

Pouha gets a fresh start this season and I think he'll make the most of it.

Veteran
    Fergie was a classic system guy. Take him out of his system, and he's garbage. He made D-Rob and vice-versa.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LAJET
    Fergie was a classic system guy. Take him out of his system, and he's garbage. He made D-Rob and vice-versa.

Great point!!!! Why don't more posters out here realize this basic and simple point that not every player can excell in every system. The Jets coaching staff had the proper sysetm in which Fergie could flourish. Period!!!!

Now we have to WAIT and SEE what Mangini and Co are going to do and how they are going to do it and not simply state that player X, Y or Z will be an adeqaute replacement...WE just don'y know as of yet

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase

A 3-4 NT does not need to be a "force" to be effective.

What he needs to do more than being a force, is to consistently tie up two blockers on every single play.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
    Great point!!!! Why don't more posters out here realize this basic and simple point that not every player can excell in every system. The Jets coaching staff had the proper sysetm in which Fergie could flourish. Period!!!!

Now we have to WAIT and SEE what Mangini and Co are going to do and how they are going to do it and not simply state that player X, Y or Z will be an adeqaute replacement...WE just don'y know as of yet
    Thank you. Hopefully, unlike Herm, Mangani will tailor the system to the players he has, unlike Herm, whose inflexibility put players into situations where they were doomed to fail.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    A 3-4 NT does not need to be a "force" to be effective.

What he needs to do more than being a force, is to consistently tie up two blockers on every single play.
    Ketchup or Catsup?

It's spelled differently but means the same thing.

Case in point:

Consistently tying up two blockers = being a force.

Worded differently but the meaning is essentially the same.

All League
    Ketchup or Catsup?

It's spelled differently but means the same thing.

Case in point:

Worded differently but the meaning is essentially the same.
    Of course tying up 2 blockers consistently means you are a force.

What kind of idiot would think anything else?

Oh, I just saw who said that.
    Enough said.

JetsInsider.com Legend

I agree with you.

Just want to make sure (on behalf of all the newbies) that you didn't mean being a force meant 18 sacks, 6 fumble recoveries and 37 tackles for losses.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    I agree with you.

Just want to make sure (on behalf of all the newbies) that you didn't mean being a force meant 18 sacks, 6 fumble recoveries and 37 tackles for losses.
    LOL..Even newbies can see thru your doubletalking BS.

If you agree that:
    Consistently tying up two blockers = being a force

Then why did you write:
    What he needs to do more than being a force, is to consistently tie up two blockers on every single play