Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Cable vs. Satellite

All League

Digital Cable vs. Satellite

Peter King the bloated know it all recently posted the top 10 things he would like to see in the NFL and one of them was moving NFL Sunday Ticket to cable. I know this isn't going to happen anytime soon since Direct TV is paying them a boatload of money but I had digital cable and the quality was not as good as Direct TV, at least in my area. What has been others experience of digital cable vs. Direct TV quality?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52
    Peter King the bloated know it all recently posted the top 10 things he would like to see in the NFL and one of them was moving NFL Sunday Ticket to cable. I know this isn't going to happen anytime soon since Direct TV is paying them a boatload of money but I had digital cable and the quality was not as good as Direct TV, at least in my area. What has been others experience of digital cable vs. Direct TV quality?
    I agree DTV in my area(SW FL) is far superior to Cable!

Banned
    "Digital cable" is just savvy marketing. The signal strength is amplified slightly; the "digitalness" of it isn't the signal processing, it's the interactive menu's.

Satellite has much better resolution on analog stations. HD reception is pretty much a tossup because that truly is 'digital'.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I
    "Digital cable" is just savvy marketing. The signal strength is amplified slightly; the "digitalness" of it isn't the signal processing, it's the interactive menu's.

Satellite has much better resolution on analog stations. HD reception is pretty much a tossup because that truly is 'digital'.

SAR I
    Somehow HD with DTV is much better then Cable HD on my TV!

I currently have Directv,I used to have IO from Cablevision, and I can say that the reception on satellite is much sharper than digital cable.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    we'll all be old and gray before the NFL breaks/chooses not to renew the Sunday Ticket contract

that thing is staying on satellite

All Pro
    DTV all the way. Time warner is getting away with highway robber.

Up here in the Great White North, you can get the NFL package on Cable AND Satellite....

$23.95 a month and you get...

NFL Sunday Ticket
    MLB Game Day
    NHL Centre Ice
    NASCAR Redneck Roundup

It's actually a pretty good deal.

All League
    There is not 1 single reason why someone should still have cable. The only thing its good for is internet connection. and soon, Wireless will own that industry too.

DTV is the only choice IMO (a proud customer since the mid 90's)

The Only thing I can not stand is the customer service. They have an IQ of a rock, they dont notate the accounts, and sometimes the hold time seems like an eon.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    There is not 1 single reason why someone should still have cable. The only thing its good for is internet connection. and soon, Wireless will own that industry too.

DTV is the only choice IMO (a proud customer since the mid 90's)

The Only thing I can not stand is the customer service. They have an IQ of a rock, they dont notate the accounts, and sometimes the hold time seems like an eon.
    And don't order a fight on PPV and not get the picture. I spent @ least 1 hr trying to get through to a live operator to no avail, then bi+ched when I got charged on my bill. They ended up crediting my account for 2x the cost of the fight. Just for Sunday Ticket it is well worth it for me

All League
    [QUOTE=Xmarco]And don't order a fight on PPV and not get the picture. I spent @ least 1 hr trying to get through to a live operator to no avail,

Wow I went through the same thing. They didn't bill me but I had people over and was pissed, and was on hold for at least an hour...(I guess other people had the same problem and we all called up and complained.)

There should be something on their website to solve this problem.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    There is not 1 single reason why someone should still have cable.
    I have way too many tall trees on my property to get a clear satellite view of the SW skies.

That's my single reason.

How is it for you guys in the city? You know tall buildings and all. Are you able to get signals on roof tops?

Banned
    If anywhere along the chain (from recording tv station,cable co,cable lines,your house) it is not transfered digitally (fiber optic) it is not truly digital. On a clear day a satellite can transfer an HD signal better than a copper wire can via radio waves in similar way HD FM radio works

All League
    I was a little pissed with DTV when I realized I had to purchase the superfan package in order to get HDTV for the Sunday ticket but after seeing the perks I'm damn into it. The ability to watch several games of your choice on one screen and the commercial free playbacks of the games is worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I

SAR I
    Not exactly true.

On most cable systems the basic cable stations (usually 2-99) are still re-broadcast utilizing the analog signal. Channels 100 and above are in fact digital stations, broadcast digitally, received digitally, re-broadcast digitally, received digitally only through your convertor box.

Sure, satellite is all digital, not just some digital, but in the case of directv, they also compress the hell out of their digital signal. The result (especially on tvs with larger screens) is a compressed, pixelated mess.

Even HD reception is not universally the same... cable and satellite providers can compress those signals too. Directv, before they launched their latest satellite, was notorious for passing an inferior highly compressed HD signal.

I had satellite for 10 years and just recently switched back to digital cable after my move. I was sick of Directvs poor picture quality and lack of HD content. They wanted me to upgrade my box and dish again to utilize the new satellite and I decided I had enough... the NFL package wasnt worth the rest of the crap that comes with Directv. As an owner of a big screen tv, I was sick of watching blotchy non-HD channels. Besides which, my friend and my favorite watering hole both have the NFL package, so if theres an out of market game I NEED to see, Ill go to one of those places.

There is not 1 single reason why someone should still have cable.
    I can think of three off the top of my head.

1) No line of sight with the bird (you live in a metro area without a southwest view, or in a home with a lot of trees around it).
    2) ON DEMAND programming (one of the greatest cable innovations ever... and something satellite will NEVER have due to their lack of available bandwidth).
    3) Superior picture quality

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Power
    Not exactly true.

On most cable systems the basic cable stations (usually 2-99) are still re-broadcast utilizing the analog signal. Channels 100 and above are in fact digital stations, broadcast digitally, received digitally, re-broadcast digitally, received digitally only through your convertor box.

Sure, satellite is all digital, not just some digital, but in the case of directv, they also compress the hell out of their digital signal. The result (especially on tvs with larger screens) is a compressed, pixelated mess.

Even HD reception is not universally the same... cable and satellite providers can compress those signals too. Directv, before they launched their latest satellite, was notorious for passing an inferior highly compressed HD signal.

I had satellite for 10 years and just recently switched back to digital cable after my move. I was sick of Directvs poor picture quality and lack of HD content. They wanted me to upgrade my box and dish again to utilize the new satellite and I decided I had enough... the NFL package wasnt worth the rest of the crap that comes with Directv. As an owner of a big screen tv, I was sick of watching blotchy non-HD channels. Besides which, my friend and my favorite watering hole both have the NFL package, so if theres an out of market game I NEED to see, Ill go to one of those places.

I can think of three off the top of my head.

1) No line of sight with the bird (you live in a metro area without a southwest view, or in a home with a lot of trees around it).
    2) ON DEMAND programming (one of the greatest cable innovations ever... and something satellite will NEVER have due to their lack of available bandwidth).
    3) Superior picture quality
    Did you have HDMI with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    If anywhere along the chain (from recording tv station,cable co,cable lines,your house) it is not transfered digitally (fiber optic) it is not truly digital.
    Not true. Digital signals dont have to be transferred fiber optically... this is why theres an optical and coaxial digital sound output on the back of your dvd player.

On a clear day a satellite can transfer an HD signal better than a copper wire can via radio waves in similar way HD FM radio works
    Weather has nothing to do with the transmission quality of an HD signal. It may interfere with how you receive that signal, but it does not denegrate the signal.
    Last edited by Patriot Power; 07-06-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Banned
    at the end of this year FCC will require all broadcasts to be at least 720p, but that does not mean your cable provider will overhaul their entire systems to transfer all broadcasts in HD

I wanted to get DTV HD package but they told me I'd need a new dish and an HD DVR would cost like $500...to rent!! I wouldn't even own it! It also seems to have fewer HD channels than iO. Believe me, the last I wanted to do was give Dolan another dime of my money. If there's a more cost efficient way, I'm all ears..