Thread: When will Teague return??

All Pro

When will Teague return??

I know he broke his ankle but how long will he be out for??

Hopefully just in time to be a viable backup at C and OT. Excluding QB's, I'm all for throwing the rookies right into the fire, let them learn on the field. I truly believe this is a rebuilding year so I have no problem w/ Mangold and DBrick starting day one. I think Mangold is smart and tough enough to handle it.

Practice Squad
    Call him Wally Pip Teague, because His chance of ever starting at center for the Jets is gone! But we can use him as line depth.

Dont need Teague the Jets invested a first round pick and a ton of money let Mangold start at center. The Jets drafted Mangold to be the franchise center for the next decade let him start and learn on the job. The only way Mangold is going to learn is by playing not watching Teague play center that might work for a QB but not an OL. Teague is 33 years old and shot. He was signed because there was no guarantee the Jets would get Mangold now that the Jets have Mangold Teague can sit.

If Mangold looks good in camp Ithink there is a good chance Teague will never suit up as a Jet. He was signed to fill in at center while Mangold played guard and a little center. Mangold was good at the first session and with Teagues injury looks poised to just take over.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Are you guys serious? Do you play competitive sports?

ANYTHING can happen, ask JetsBabe. I hope Teague comes back so Mangold, ASSUMING he starts and doesn't have too much trouble, doesn't press. Nothing worse than pressing when you are supposed to be learning.

Why do you think they call it a "full court press"? So they the defense can take advantage of "a greater possibility of mistakes". Mangold is saying all the right things, but rajensen is right about one thing-Jake Grove was more productive in college. Grove is not having an easy go of it. Does that make him less valuable?

Teague comingback strong will only help the Jets and Mangold become dominant

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    Are you guys serious? Do you play competitive sports?

ANYTHING can happen, ask JetsBabe. I hope Teague comes back so Mangold, ASSUMING he starts and doesn't have too much trouble, doesn't press. Nothing worse than pressing when you are supposed to be learning.

Why do you think they call it a "full court press"? So they the defense can take advantage of "a greater possibility of mistakes". Mangold is saying all the right things, but rajensen is right about one thing-Jake Grove was more productive in college. Grove is not having an easy go of it. Does that make him less valuable?

Teague comingback strong will only help the Jets and Mangold become dominant
    well said my friend. i might be the only one to believe this, but even if teague can't win the starting center position, he can still beat moore or kendall for a G position.

Practice Squad
    Well Mega, I wouldn't say you're the only one that believes it. There is no telling what goes on in peoples minds. But I certainly don't think he can beat out Kendall or Moore at guard. But he is needed for o-line depth and was signed when we had no o-line before the draft. And as for whomever said, ask Jetsbabe! Give me a break. Isn't she a high school softball player? So at 18 she's had all this life experience and is now the football know-it-all guru that we all should consult? Nothing against you Jetsbabe, or that you play softball, I was just making a point. In fact I am (was, retired this year) a longtime softball player that played for Scoreboard Tavern, one of the best 35 and over teams in the state the past 10 years. (5th at nationals). So in no way am I trying to demean you about being a softball player.

It's hard to know how long Teague will be out, since we don't even know the full extent of his injury. If it was a clean ankle break he should be back sometime during training camp. If there was complications with surgery required, the early part of the season could be in jeopardy. We don't know, because the Jets are explaining too much.

But I'm with WCO, I hope Teague can play. It's a lot to ask a rookie to start at center. Best case scenario, at least until Mangold gets some experience, is for Teague to start at center & Mangold at guard.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 07-09-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    If Mangold looks good in camp Ithink there is a good chance Teague will never suit up as a Jet. He was signed to fill in at center while Mangold played guard and a little center. Mangold was good at the first session and with Teagues injury looks poised to just take over.
    Teague will most certainly suit up as a Jet. Mangold may in fact take over the starting job, but Teague will be a valuable backup in the C/G positions. To think a backup interior lineman is not going to see significant playing time is quite optimistic.

Hopefully he is ready for the field before September, so he can get some meaningful reps in practice. Between Teague and Anthony Clement (or A. Jones if Clement beats him out) hopefully our depth on the line is sufficient.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by PENJET
    Well Mega, I wouldn't say you're the only one that believes it. There is no telling what goes on in peoples minds. But I certainly don't think he can beat out Kendall or Moore at guard. But he is needed for o-line depth and was signed when we had no o-line before the draft. And as for whomever said, ask Jetsbabe! Give me a break. Isn't she a high school softball player? So at 18 she's had all this life experience and is now the football know-it-all guru that we all should consult? Nothing against you Jetsbabe, or that you play softball, I was just making a point. In fact I am (was, retired this year) a longtime softball player that played for Scoreboard Tavern, one of the best 35 and over teams in the state the past 10 years. (5th at nationals). So in no way am I trying to demean you about being a softball player.
    Not my point PENJET. Jets Babe plays flag football and had a serious ankle injury. That is unexpected. In the furious NFL, Mangold is further at risk and the point I was referring to was a poster saying he doesn't care if Teague comes back-let's put Mangold front and center, we will be great!

Where is TX?? How about an assist here, pal?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    Not my point PENJET. Jets Babe plays flag football and had a serious ankle injury. That is unexpected. In the furious NFL, Mangold is further at risk and the point I was referring to was a poster saying he doesn't care if Teague comes back-let's put Mangold front and center, we will be great!

Where is TX?? How about an assist here, pal?
    Actually, I agree with you here.

I think the Jets need to start both D'Brick and Mangold this year.

All League
    Teague needs to return as soon as possible..we only signed him for two years and we need to get some punch for our buck ! Linemen go down with injury very fast...there is never enough depth..Mangold may also have problems at this level..we do not know...Teague has exp. ad you can always use that...

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Teague will most certainly suit up as a Jet. Mangold may in fact take over the starting job, but Teague will be a valuable backup in the C/G positions. To think a backup interior lineman is not going to see significant playing time is quite optimistic.

Hopefully he is ready for the field before September, so he can get some meaningful reps in practice. Between Teague and Anthony Clement (or A. Jones if Clement beats him out) hopefully our depth on the line is sufficient.
    I cant see Teague as a lock. Hes older. He was injured in 2004 and now before 2006. If he heals slowly hes a risky investment. Hes going to be way behind the curve if he misses all of camp. If someone cheaper and younger looks like they can play Teague will be cut. Thats the reality of the NFL.

Teague would also have to show he can play guard. He has the size, but he never played there before. He should be able to make the transition well enough, but until you see it you cant predict it. He was tried before as a tackle at Denver before moving to his natural position as center....Of course if Mangold doesnt have a good camp all of this is pointless. Teague will start at center at least until he gets hurt again. .

All Pro
    I cant see Teague as a lock. Hes older. He was injured in 2004 and now before 2006. If he heals slowly hes a risky investment. Hes going to be way behind the curve if he misses all of camp. If someone cheaper and younger looks like they can play Teague will be cut. Thats the reality of the NFL.

Teague would also have to show he can play guard. He has the size, but he never played there before. He should be able to make the transition well enough, but until you see it you cant predict it. He was tried before as a tackle at Denver before moving to his natural position as center....Of course if Mangold doesnt have a good camp all of this is pointless. Teague will start at center at least until he gets hurt again. .
    I think Teague will definetely stick because of his being able to play several positions. That really helps out with the line depth. He's suppose to be back after camp starts but who knows what kind of shape he'll be in or how the ankle will heal.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGee77
    I think Teague will definetely stick because of his being able to play several positions.

... agreed - dead on - fits what we know about mangini's mentor ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The guy has missed 4 games in the past 5 and is only 31. That doesn't seem to be over the hill or injury prone.

Obviously, if the guy doesn't heal properly he's not gonna make the team. But, assuming his ankle heals as it should, the guy is definitely making the team. He has a reasonable salary (according to jetscap.com he's gonna make $710K this year) and he has experience in the league. I would much rather have Trey Teague filling in at Guard than I would Doug Nienuis, even if Teague hasn't played there before.

Quote Originally Posted by PENJET

You just never know when you are gonna get to chat with a celebrity, tell us all about the Beer League Nationals...........