Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets special teams

All Pro

Jets special teams

I feel that the Jets special team units, are where the Jets actually should excel next year.
    McCareins, Miller, Dwight, Cotchery, etc. are all acceptable return men, although if Justin drops another catch I would drop him from the ST unit.

I never have valued long snappers, but Dearth is fairly mistake free.

IMHO I think we have plenty of talent as far bird dogs, and wedge busters on the kicking teams, Westhoff is as good as any ST coach.

Graham is a competitor and a gamer, I do not know how many years we can get out of the oldest rookie ever ( maybe 6) but this guy will just keep getting better.

Mike Nugent, I was alright with using a 2nd to get this guy, and I was also disappointed with his leg strength, if this kid booms are busts is any ones guess, all I know he better be spending his off season lifting weights and kicking.

All know if the Jets are going to have any success this year the special teams guys are going to have to step up.
    Last edited by gunnails; 08-13-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails
    I feel that the Jets special team units, are where the Jets actually should excel next year.
    McCareins, Miller, Dwight, Cotchery, etc. are all acceptable return men, although if Justin drops another catch I would drop him from the ST unit.

I never have valued long snappers, but Dreesen is fairly mistake free.

IMHO I think we have plenty of talent as far bird dogs, and wedge busters on the kicking teams, Westhoff is as good as any ST coach.

Graham is a competitor and a gamer, I do not know how many years we can get out of the oldest rookie ever ( maybe 6) but this guy will just keep getting better.

Mike Nugent, I was alright with using a 2nd to get this guy, and I was also disappointed with his leg strength, if this kid booms are busts is any ones guess, all I know he better be spending his off season lifting weights and kicking.

All know if the Jets are going to have any success this year the special teams guys are going to have to step up.

I think Nugent began to progress very well thorughout the season. If you watched the games later in the season.. You could really see the ball rise even as it was going through the up rights

All Pro
    I think Dreessen will be our LS and play some OFF.

I agree, Nugent did show some progession , and hes been quoted as saying he was lifting a lot to get his leg strength up, i really wouldnt worry much about him right now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails

I never have valued long snappers, but Dreesen is fairly mistake free.

Good analyst.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    I think Nugent began to progress very well thorughout the season. If you watched the games later in the season.. You could really see the ball rise even as it was going through the up rights
    He was 1/62 on touchbacks, with more kick-offs going out of bounds than through the endzone.

He did not have ANY FG's of 50+ yards.

In his only game winning opportunity (Saints), he choked big time.

So how can you say he "improved" as the season went on?

oh brother. let's see how automatica or your 4th rounder fair before

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    He was 1/62 on touchbacks, with more kick-offs going out of bounds than through the endzone.

you start jumping on nugent. there were so many things going last season it's almost a miracle they won 4 games.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets
    you start jumping on nugent. there were so many things going last season it's almost a miracle they won 4 games.
    Jumping on Nugent?

Do you just want to ignore the facts that I presented?

And what impact does "so many things going on" last year have to do with a friggn' kicker?

All he is paid to do is kick the ball from a tee and kick the ball through the uprights.

What factors impeded his ability to do that?

Hall Of Fame

He's no longer a rookie, so by definition he got older and better.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK
    He's no longer a rookie, so by definition he got older and better.
    He may have gotten older, but he certainly did not get better.

All League
    Big time? My memory dictates that the kick was short by 1 yard

A 50 somethin' yard kick short by a yard is no "big time choke." If he had shanked a 20 yarder 50 feet to the left then yeah.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    He may have gotten older, but he certainly did not get better.
    That remains to be seen. Let's see what happens this year.

So what happens to these kickers when they jump from college to pro? Is the ball harder or something. Nugent isn't the first guy I've seen that boomed them in college and then doesn't in the pros. Whazzup with that?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet
    That remains to be seen. Let's see what happens this year.

So what happens to these kickers when they jump from college to pro? Is the ball harder or something. Nugent isn't the first guy I've seen that boomed them in college and then doesn't in the pros. Whazzup with that?
    The NFL uses a "K" ball for kickoffs. Possibly for FG's as well. The K ball shortens distance by about 10 yards.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSF

A 50 somethin' yard kick short by a yard is no "big time choke." If he had shanked a 20 yarder 50 feet to the left then yeah.
    WTF, is kicking a FG like playing horseshoes where "close" counts?

The bottom line is he choked and missed the game-winng FG.

I thought the reason the Jets wasted a 2nd round draft pick on a friggn' kicker was because of his "cannon leg" to boom 50+ yard FG's.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    The NFL uses a "K" ball for kickoffs. Possibly for FG's as well. The K ball shortens distance by about 10 yards.
    K for Koncrete?

Banned

yeah..he didnt miss by much. I was sitting at those uprights that game/

Banned

and he was taken in the second friggin' round!

All League

He improved as the season went on because he sucked big time early, missing short FGs, but managed to imrpove to the point where he was mediocre

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7
    He improved as the season went on because he sucked big time early, missing short FGs, but managed to imrpove to the point where he was mediocre
    Ah, just what you want out of a kicker that was drafted in the 2nd round.

Mediocrity.

Ah, just what you want out of a kicker that was drafted in the 2nd round.

Mediocrity.

I hate to say it but I actually gotta agree. I was expecting a monster leg out of this kid and needless to say I did not see even a hint of one. I am hoping he hit the weights hard this offseason b/c for us to be successful we need a clutch kicker that has some strength behind his leg to content with the meadowland's winds.