Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football/Baseball problem. Anyone else have it?

All Pro

Football/Baseball problem. Anyone else have it?

To make a long story short I was a HUGE baseball and Yankee fan before going away to college. But right before I went away they had just won so much, were signing everyone(Which I never liked), and the fact that as a yankee fan you either had tons of fake fans who jumped on the wagon/or Hate from EVERYONE really took away from baseball. Aside from that being away in college I basically never had the time to watch baseball.......So I literally stopped watching,and following baseball. The only sport I ever watched and became obsessed with is football(Jets).

So now that Im home this is my first baseball season, and Im becoming a big fan again and heres my problem.

Im treating Baseball like football.

These last two Yankee losses were terrible. Both games were lost IMO because of small ball, and errors which is unexcuseable. I have been so pissed after the game I had to go back to the gym(Heavy bag). I mean its almost like I get when the Jets lose.

I realized tonight that Im treating baseball(Marathon) like I treat football(Every game is the world). Does, or Has anyone else ever had this problem with Baseball or another sport?

I do. As a Mets fan this year where we expect to win, every loss is frustrating to me. However, if your a fan or a team like the pirates or royals, i don't see how every game turns into that situation. (Unless your a complete die-hard hardcore fan)

Banned
    I've been treating baseball like that for about 20 years now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    To make a long story short I was a HUGE baseball and Yankee fan before going away to college. But right before I went away they had just won so much, were signing everyone(Which I never liked), and the fact that as a yankee fan you either had tons of fake fans who jumped on the wagon/or Hate from EVERYONE really took away from baseball. Aside from that being away in college I basically never had the time to watch baseball.......So I literally stopped watching,and following baseball. The only sport I ever watched and became obsessed with is football(Jets).

So now that Im home this is my first baseball season, and Im becoming a big fan again and heres my problem.

Im treating Baseball like football.

These last two Yankee losses were terrible. Both games were lost IMO because of small ball, and errors which is unexcuseable. I have been so pissed after the game I had to go back to the gym(Heavy bag). I mean its almost like I get when the Jets lose.

I realized tonight that Im treating baseball(Marathon) like I treat football(Every game is the world). Does, or Has anyone else ever had this problem with Baseball or another sport?

Yes as a Mets and Jets fan.... I no longer feel my knuckles

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Raise kids, get a hobby and lose cable.

My thing was Jets Mets in NY; moving out here I got hooked by the Warriors (Mullins, Hardaway & Richmond). After the deal with Webber, I swore off addictively following 2 sports. Don Nelson's teams were so well coached but it was a tease because they didn't really have it all together.

I know exactly what you speak of; it's brutal. Your heart belongs in your chest, not on the floor with the sports section

thats the way i treat baseball, I am a huge Yankee fan and when they lose, i am in a bad mood, i dont talk to ne one, i just go down to my room and do nothing. I hate everything when they lose, and when they win i am a different person. Its the same way with the jets for me too.

All League
    I am more detached emotion-wise when it comes to the Yankees. I certainly hate to see them lose a game, but I am over a loss within 5 minutes. I was pissed when Mo gave up the home run tonight. But then I just cursed a few times and was fine after a few minutes. You'll kill yourself stressing over every loss.

Now when it comes to the Jets, I am an emotional wreck after every loss, as I'm sure most of you would attest to as well.

Hall Of Fame
    When it comes to sports, football is everything; other sports are everything else.

My loyalties lie as followed:

1. New York Jets
    2. My fantasy football teams
    3. NY Mets
    4. My fantasy baseball teams

I can't get fired up about baseball yet. However, if the Mets were in a battle for their division or the wild card at this point .... I might be reacting the same way.

Hall Of Fame
    i'm a huge baseball fan but one game doesn't matter. it's all about winning series

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbeller83
    Yes as a Mets and Jets fan.... I no longer feel my knuckles
    Well quit spanking it

Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    Raise kids, get a hobby and lose cable.

My thing was Jets Mets in NY; moving out here I got hooked by the Warriors (Mullins, Hardaway & Richmond). After the deal with Webber, I swore off addictively following 2 sports. Don Nelson's teams were so well coached but it was a tease because they didn't really have it all together.

I know exactly what you speak of; it's brutal. Your heart belongs in your chest, not on the floor with the sports section
    How do you like San Fransisco. My wife & I have been out there a couple of times. We think it's a great place. (we live on Long Island)

Do you have Directv to watch the Jets?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    i'm a huge baseball fan but one game doesn't matter. it's all about winning series

that's my take as well. I first instinct is to get worked up about an individual loss, but you need to force yourself to look at the bigger picture.

The Mets just completed a 4-2 road trip. That's a successful trip. You do that all the time, you are in the playoffs. But, they had the lead in the two games they lost. They could easily have won those games and been 6-0 --and i briefly had that thought after yesterday's game. But, they easily could have been 2-4 as well.

Not to start a Yankees/Mets thing, but the Yankees have set the bar so high over the past 10 years, its difficult to accept anything but 100+ season. Yankeed fans genuinely expect to win every game. Not putting Yankee fans down --I don't think it would be different with any other fan base if they've experienced the same kind of success. For Met fans (and probably every other fan), we can accept the losses as we are more use to them.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Crash, I have a hard time accepting a loss no matter what my team is doing. Every loss during the Kotite years hurt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kinda guy who smashes things and goes off the deep end, but it does sting, I don't think you can ever "get use to it".

Veteran
    It's hard to compare a sport where you play 16 games vs. 162 games, It's apples and oranges.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic
    How do you like San Fransisco. My wife & I have been out there a couple of times. We think it's a great place. (we live on Long Island)

Do you have Directv to watch the Jets?
    SF is a wonderful place. the last 15 years of my pops life, he lived here with my stepmother; my 2 brothers were here as well. Now, everyone is gone, but my wife's a native with lots of relatives. That has made the difference. I love playing sports outside, I don't care for gyms, so it's a great place to be. But by that criteria alone, Orange County and San Diego have SF beat by a mile. They are cheaper, and more family friendly.

Like I said, I cancelled cable. Another family I know did the same when their kids hit grade school. So, since 1985 it's been into the sports bars to watch live. I even posted a place to go in that area of JI a long time ago.

Really considering the DirecTV. I like SAR's idea about a having physical address in NYC, so I can get NY Local broadcasts. I can always see SF Local.

It's Raider Nation out here I hate those nitwits. I can take the verbal abuse, but not the physical intimidation. Niner fans tell me the same thing. You pretty much have to wear black at a Raider game, or sit on your hands. (I know, I'm a big p*ssy)

I kid about it, but my wife doesn't want me watching Jets at home. Honestly.

Veteran
    Yeah, for the first time in years the Mets are good again, so each game is important. However, it isn't the same as football, with only 16 games, I am almost depressed for the whole next week if the Jets lose. With baseball, you just go out and get em the next day.

All League
    Like a few others have said, it is 16 games vs. 162 games.
    Yes, the last two Yankee losses were tough. Boston winning didn't help.
    But, they are playing/pitching well, Matsui's report was real positive, Sheff should have his cranky self ready by Sept. and we have at least 9 games left with the Chowd's.
    But, a Jet loss on Sept. 10 loss to Tenn. will P*SS all over my entire week!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Football is the main priority starting the 28th. But I will still watch every Mets game.

All Pro
    Yeah, George Steinbrenner. Just ask the fifteen managers before Torre.

Quote Originally Posted by WCO
    SF is a wonderful place. the last 15 years of my pops life, he lived here with my stepmother; my 2 brothers were here as well. Now, everyone is gone, but my wife's a native with lots of relatives. That has made the difference. I love playing sports outside, I don't care for gyms, so it's a great place to be. But by that criteria alone, Orange County and San Diego have SF beat by a mile. They are cheaper, and more family friendly.

Like I said, I cancelled cable. Another family I know did the same when their kids hit grade school. So, since 1985 it's been into the sports bars to watch live. I even posted a place to go in that area of JI a long time ago.

Really considering the DirecTV. I like SAR's idea about a having physical address in NYC, so I can get NY Local broadcasts. I can always see SF Local.

It's Raider Nation out here I hate those nitwits. I can take the verbal abuse, but not the physical intimidation. Niner fans tell me the same thing. You pretty much have to wear black at a Raider game, or sit on your hands. (I know, I'm a big p*ssy)

I kid about it, but my wife doesn't want me watching Jets at home. Honestly.
    Thanks for the reply. If my wife & I ever get out there again, I'll let you know, and maybe we can take in a Jets game at the local sports watering hole!!

Or maybe kick a little Raider Nation nitwit butt!!